Another "religious liberty" wedding cake conundrum (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:47:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Another "religious liberty" wedding cake conundrum (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another "religious liberty" wedding cake conundrum  (Read 1976 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 07, 2016, 11:52:04 PM »

Um, no. A photographer should not be forced to take pictures at a kids' birthday party if he doesn't like children. A Jew should not have to bake a cake for a white supremacist.

I'm perfectly fine with people protesting businesses or advertising discrimination. Ideally that's what would happen.

(Also, my final argument is this: as a gay person, do I really want to eat food made by someone forced to bake it for profit?)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »

Um, no. A photographer should not be forced to take pictures at a kids' birthday party if he doesn't like children.
That's being hired, that's different
This was your only point I understood.

So, hiring someone to photograph something is different than hiring someone to bake something?Huh
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:00:45 AM »

So, hiring someone to photograph something is different than hiring someone to bake something?Huh

Purchasing a commodity =/= hiring someone for a service.

(not that discrimination should be given free rein in the latter case either, but there's a bit more nuance there)

When one is buying a cake, you are both purchasing the commodity of the cake and the service of making the cake.

When one is buying photographs, you are both purchasing the commodity of the cake and the service of taking the photographs.

They're not completely similar, but at least to me there's not much nuance there.

TL;DR: I would rather be discriminated against than have someone do something for me he doesn't want to do.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »

TL;DR: I would rather be discriminated against than have someone do something for me he doesn't want to do.

Stated by somebody who likely doesn't have to worry about either.

I didn't realize people don't discriminate against multiracial gay people.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »

I get that. I get why people disagree on this. What I don't get is why they these arguments keep devolving into minutiae and technicalities such as the hypothetical in this thread when, at the end of the day, it's a simple either/or question. Either you believe religion gives you a right to discriminate, or you don't. There's nothing to say or consider beyond that.

There are many social issues that deserve a careful and nuanced consideration, but I really don't see how this one could.

I'd say it comes down to whether or not discrimination or forcing someone to make something they don't want to is worse. Sure, there are two or three more nuanced parts to it, but it really boils down to this: is discrimination or forced work worse?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies