Hillary to Police: Don't Endorse Me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:55:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary to Police: Don't Endorse Me
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Hillary Feels that the BLM Movement > Police Endorsement. Do you agree?
No. Cops enforce the law. BLM advocates breaking the law.

No. All Lives (and endorsements) matter.

Yes. Who cares what the cops think?

Yes. Black Lives Matter. Cops lives (and endorsements) do not.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Hillary to Police: Don't Endorse Me  (Read 1984 times)
Seriously?
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »
« edited: August 07, 2016, 02:13:06 PM by Seriously? »

Via the Hill

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link to source: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/290586-police-union-clinton-snubbed-us

With that said, is snubbing the 300,000+ members of law enforcement and their families an expedient political move?

For the record, this same union -- the Fraternal Order of the Police -- endorsed Bill Clinton in 1996.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/16/us/fraternal-order-of-police-to-endorse-clinton.html
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

I don't care who law enforcement endorses. In fact, in my town of Tulsa in particular, whoever law enforcement endorses is a huge deterrent for me.
Angel of Death
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »

Not seeking one's endorsement=snubbing. Right.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:15:44 PM »

Good. Police unions are disgusting and should be crushed whenever and wherever possible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »

Good. Police unions are disgusting and should be crushed whenever and wherever possible.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 02:21:47 PM »

Seriously used smear! ... It's not very effective.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »

Not public sector unions! God knows what society would do without them.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 02:30:53 PM »

Who care.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »

These poll options provide a fascinating insight into why white racists conservatives just don't understand the BLM's core message.  Or, more likely, he's just not taking himself Seriously?
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »

Lol, BLM. Doe she agree with their newly listed demands, including reparations for slavery? They will have to pry it from our dead white hands.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »

These poll options provide a fascinating insight into why white racists conservatives just don't understand the BLM's core message.  Or, more likely, he's just not taking himself Seriously?
Hardly. I designed the poll for the extreme views on both sides of the aisle and the middle ground.

By not seeking the police endorsement Hillary! is making a binary choice here that her liberal constituency (BLM, etc) is more important than votes from the police that protects them.

It's a perfectly acceptable choice to make, but a sad one, especially in the light that her husband snared the cop union's endorsement 20 years ago.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »

Big, big mistake if this is true. That was one of the best things about the DNC was all the police chiefs endorsing Hillary. This was supposed to be fight back against the narrative of the Republicans that Democrats are celebrating the killings of police. BLM frankly has a good cause, but the ways they go about it are very counter-productive.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »

Hardly. I designed the poll for the extreme views on both sides of the aisle and the middle ground.

Which option represents the "middle ground"? Huh
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 04:11:27 PM »

I think it's always been a foregone conclusion that law enforcement will vote heavily for Trump, possibly even more so than the military.  Do you expect Trump to court the Sierra Club for their endorsement?

Only fraction of active-duty military personnel would vote for Trump. They correctly see him, like Clinton, as a chickenhawk who will send them into more wars.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 04:12:20 PM »

Good. Police uUnions are disgusting and should be crushed whenever and wherever possible.

Guys, I fixed this for you.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »

I have no problem with this.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »

How can people call themselves pro-labor and pro-worker while disparaging police unions? Policing is a thankless profession that is essential to civil society and their natural home, in my opinion, is the Democratic Party. It is a mistake to push them away.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »

How can people call themselves pro-labor and pro-worker while disparaging police unions? Policing is a thankless profession that is essential to civil society and their natural home, in my opinion, is the Democratic Party. It is a mistake to push them away.

All of this is true, but it doesn't oblige me to defend the actions of a few racist idiots.  It feels like there's no middle ground whatsoever on this issue.  It seems that about 10-20% of police officers are regularly doing racist/inappropriate things, while the other 80-90% are just decent people who want to keep their communities safe.  Can't anyone take a step back and distinguish this? 
Police and police unions should not be exempt from scrutiny or criticism. In fact, because of their position of public trust and authority, police should be subject to more scrutiny than the average public sector worker, if anything. I just believe that actively shunning police endorsements is divisive and only fans the flames of racial tension.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 05:04:01 PM »

In what way is policing "thankless"? If you want to hear about someone who performs work that is vital to our way of life and who is rarely publicly acknowledged, talk to a construction worker. Talk to a logger. Talk to a farmer. Talk to someone who works on a fishing boat.

Police have lower rates of work-related mortality than many other active, blue-collar professions and receive far more public acclaim. No one campaigns on promising to "protect our loggers." No one thanks construction workers for their service. People who don't know people with these jobs rarely even think about the fact that there are people out there doing them every day.

Yet we rely on them. We expect for them to do their jobs without needlessly killing people, through either negligence or malice. And we would not tolerate a union that dismissed deaths caused by shoddy work as unavoidable collateral damage for which no one should be held responsible.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »

1. Black Lives Matter is a legitimate movement which is attempting to end the injustice of police brutality (along with many other issues that primarily affect the black/brown community), which primarily affect brown folks much, much, much more than white people.
2. Most police are good people who really just want to protect their communities, however there are many who are corrupted by their power and think only of themselves, not the communities they serve.

Black Lives Matter and police unions could really work together to rid police forces of the corrupt and violent officers, BLM would achieve an important goal of theirs (to drastically reduce unnecessary police brutality), and police would rid themselves of the worst members of their force that had no interest in serving their community.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »

Yes, perfectly legit movement. It's not like they've openly chanted for killing and frying cops before, after all. It should be a much bigger deal that the Dems are giving a national platform to these racial anarchists.

https://youtu.be/05qQDD14r9w
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 05:43:34 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, but 'Hillary!' might be the worst nickname for a candidate I've seen on this forum. Ever. It was funny and relevant for ¿Yeb? because that was literally his logo. But trying to use the nickname for Clinton as well robs it of all context and the entire reason why Jeb was even called that so constantly.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »

It's up to a candidate whether or not they want to seek a particular endorsement. It seems silly to get upset that a candidate did not ask you for an endorsement.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, but 'Hillary!' might be the worst nickname for a candidate I've seen on this forum. Ever. It was funny and relevant for ¿Yeb? because that was literally his logo. But trying to use the nickname for Clinton as well robs it of all context and the entire reason why Jeb was even called that so constantly.

You mean to say that Seriously? has a strange habit of welding punctuation onto words that shouldn't really have them?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies