New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:10:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread  (Read 34663 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »

This will be the new thread for the upcoming New York City mayoral election, 2017. The primaries will be held in September 2017 and the general election in November 2017. Already, 1 Republican has announced that he would run against Mayor Bill de Blasio, who was seen as a progressive hero next to Elizabeth Warren:

Real estate developer Paul Massey. He could be formidable. Handsome, rich, centrist Republican. He could play well in the outerboroughs (Queens, Brooklyn).

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/08/developer-paul-massey-will-run-for-mayor-in-2017.html

Another "Republican" that could run and make inroads with African Americans and Latinos is legendary Harlem, Manhattan reverend Calvin Butts. Butts could do well with business Republicans.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/19/harlem-pastor-considering-run-for-mayor/

For the Democrats, former HUD Secretary and current Budget Director Shaun Donovan may be challenging De Blasio in the Democratic primary:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/shaun-donovan-new-york-mayor-226778

Other Democrats that could run include former City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, City Comptroller Scott Stringer, and Congressman Hakeem Jeffries, along with Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz and Public Advocate Letitia James.

http://observer.com/2016/06/anti-de-blasio-poll-stringer-could-beat-mayor-in-democratic-primary-matchup/
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »

Is Massey similar to Lindsay?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »

Massey sees himself like Mike Bloomberg. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative. He's a centrist, I suppose. However, Staten Island conservatives are socially conservative. I don't know if he'll do well. He's just like Joe Lhota, the 2013 GOP nominee that lost to De Blasio. He may be more appealing than Lhota, however.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »

Other Democrats that could run include former City Council Speaker Christine Quinn

Isn't she too busy being Bloomberg's butler these days? Its because of her he got a third term in 2009 which he didn't deserve. She ain't going nowhere this time either.

Uh, if he's the best we've got, I'm sticking with di Blasio. I'm still mad he defeated Eliot Spitzer last time.

Come on Dov Hikind, this is your chance!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »

Other Democrats that could run include former City Council Speaker Christine Quinn

Isn't she too busy being Bloomberg's butler these days? Its because of her he got a third term in 2009 which he didn't deserve. She ain't going nowhere this time either.

Uh, if he's the best we've got, I'm sticking with di Blasio. I'm still mad he defeated Eliot Spitzer last time.

Dov Hikind is the worst the Jewish-American community has to offer.  The man is an absolute disgrace.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »

Dov Hikind is the worst the Jewish-American community has to offer.  The man is an absolute disgrace.

Explain. To me, he's tough, bold.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »

Dov Hikind would literally be the greatest choice for Mayor.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:59:46 PM »

Somehow I doubt that.

I was being semi-sarcastic when I said he should run but calling him the Jewish Al Sharpton is harsh.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 06:01:55 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2016, 06:04:12 AM by Malcolm X »

Somehow I doubt that.

I was being semi-sarcastic when I said he should run but calling him the Jewish Al Sharpton is harsh.

I mean ignoring his general bigotry, endorsement of Trump, support for people who commit hate crimes against Muslims, the fact that he dressed up in blackface for a party, has said gay marriage will lead to "incest and beastality," his corruption (pretty sure he was actually indicted at one point), and his support for racial profiling, there's also the fact that hid evidence of over 1,000 cases of sexual abuse at orthodox Yeshivas in NYC.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 08:10:54 AM »

I mean ignoring his general bigotry, endorsement of Trump, support for people who commit hate crimes against Muslims, the fact that he dressed up in blackface for a party, has said gay marriage will lead to "incest and beastality," his corruption (pretty sure he was actually indicted at one point), and his support for racial profiling, there's also the fact that hid evidence of over 1,000 cases of sexual abuse at orthodox Yeshivas in NYC.

Wow. That is shocking to say the least.

He must be the only Democrat in the country to have endorsed Trump.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »

Somehow I doubt that.

Not everyone has to agree with gay marriage.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »

Don't worry, we got Lieberman coming too.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »

rofl lmao terrific!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

Good, you can keep him.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »

Lol, Bo Dietl is running.

It appears Darren Dione Aquino is running as well. (both Republicans). Anyone know who that is?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 11:59:37 PM »

It appears Darren Dione Aquino is running as well. (both Republicans). Anyone know who that is?

Bo Dietl is a gross D list celebrity. Di Blasio will win again if this is the best the opposition can do. And he should, cause I think he's a great Mayor. Not as great as Guiliani, but still great enough.

No I've never heard of Aquino. Oddly enough I just learned what Lumpia was this week, and with the events in Davao City tonight, the Philippines has never been more relevant.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 08:17:11 AM »

Bo Dietl is a gross D list celebrity. Di Blasio will win again if this is the best the opposition can do. And he should, cause I think he's a great Mayor. Not as great as Guiliani, but still great enough.

No I've never heard of Aquino. Oddly enough I just learned what Lumpia was this week, and with the events in Davao City tonight, the Philippines has never been more relevant.

Unless there's a strong primary challenge, De Blasio should win.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »

Somehow I doubt that.

If you want to win election in a major Northeastern city in the present day you do.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »

Somehow I doubt that.

If you want to win election in a major Northeastern city in the present day you do.

+100. Bloomberg did win elections in NYC as Republican, but as very moderate (in fact - liberal) pro-choice, pro-SSM Republican. No socially conservative Republican needs to apply... Just as pro-choice and pro-SSM Democrat can't win gubernatorial election in Louisiana or Mississippi.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »

Somehow I doubt that.

+100. Bloomberg did win elections in NYC as Republican, but as very moderate (in fact - liberal) pro-choice, pro-SSM Republican. No socially conservative Republican needs to apply... Just as pro-choice and pro-SSM Democrat can't win gubernatorial election in Louisiana or Mississippi.

JBE is anti-choice, but he isn't exactly anti-SSM.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 03:47:47 PM »

Somehow I doubt that.

JBE is anti-choice, but he isn't exactly anti-SSM.

But not especially pro-SSM either. He accepts Supreme Court decision on it, but wouldn't vote for it as legislator, for example...
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 08:09:54 PM »

Somehow I doubt that.

No, not everyone has to agree, but saying gay marriage will lead to "incest and bestiality" is pretty bad. Interesting that you focus on that while ignoring the rest of Hikind's awfulness.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:25 PM »

Somehow I doubt that.

No, not everyone has to agree, but saying gay marriage will lead to "incest and bestiality" is pretty bad. Interesting that you focus on that while ignoring the rest of Hikind's awfulness.

Also, everyone has to agree with gay marriage if they want to be Mayor of New York.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 11:00:31 AM »

Somehow I doubt that.

Also, everyone has to agree with gay marriage if they want to be Mayor of New York.

This is also true. And if you want to win in Utah, you can't fundraise off of mocking Mormons (something that actually happened recently).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »

Mayor De Blasio could face a tough primary challenge from Brooklyn Congressman Hakeem Jeffries, who's a pretty good congressman and is seen as the "Barack Obama/Cory Booker" of New York.

The NYPD still has Eric Garner's killer, the police officer Daniel Pantaleo of Staten Island on the payroll. De Blasio could lose some black and Latino support for that if Pantaleo is not off the police force by September 2017. The primary is a year from now.

If Jeffries runs, this could be a significant problem that De Blasio faces. That cop should be in jail, for choking Garner like that. However, Staten Island is pro-cop, so it can hurt De Blasio or Jeffries in Staten Island.

http://www.amny.com/news/nypd-cop-in-eric-garner-s-death-earns-overtime-pay-hakeem-jeffries-calls-for-probe-1.12315714

However, who would Staten Island Democrats vote for in a primary between De Blasio and Jeffries? De Blasio barely won Staten Island in the 2013 primary against Bill Thompson and Christine Quinn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies