New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:08:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread  (Read 34689 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »

Would love for Erica Garner (daughter of Eric who previously contemplated a run for Dan Donovan's seat and was a vocal Sanders supporter in the primary) to run a protest campaign in the primary to push De Blasio to the left on police issues/make sure he doesn't give in the police union.

Eh..she'd be okay I guess, but her campaign could cause racial unrest in NYC. He'd take a lot of black and Latino votes away from him. I don't think NYC can afford that. Both the police and the Black Lives Matter protesters needs to get their act together.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »

I mean ignoring his general bigotry, endorsement of Trump, support for people who commit hate crimes against Muslims, the fact that he dressed up in blackface for a party, has said gay marriage will lead to "incest and beastality," his corruption (pretty sure he was actually indicted at one point), and his support for racial profiling, there's also the fact that hid evidence of over 1,000 cases of sexual abuse at orthodox Yeshivas in NYC.

Wow. That is shocking to say the least.

He must be the only Democrat in the country to have endorsed Trump.

Don't worry, we got Lieberman coming too.

Lieberman has endorsed Hillary Clinton, as befitting a neocon of his stripe.

Hikind's only a Democrat because (A) of the registration of his district, and (B) because of the permanent majority NY's Democrats enjoy in the NY State Assembly.  Why they don't strip him of his seniority and committee assignments is beyond me, and they may do that next year. 

There's no way Hikind could get the Democratic nomination for Mayor, absent a widely split Democratic Primary.  He'd be the Jewish Mario Procaccino if he were the Democratic nominee.  If he were a candidate of, say, New York's Independence Party and were well funded, he might win in a crowded field, but that's not likely, either.  The real issue is how long the Democratic Party will put up with Hikind.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

Would love for Erica Garner (daughter of Eric who previously contemplated a run for Dan Donovan's seat and was a vocal Sanders supporter in the primary) to run a protest campaign in the primary to push De Blasio to the left on police issues/make sure he doesn't give in the police union.

That's not going to happen.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »

I mean ignoring his general bigotry, endorsement of Trump, support for people who commit hate crimes against Muslims, the fact that he dressed up in blackface for a party, has said gay marriage will lead to "incest and beastality," his corruption (pretty sure he was actually indicted at one point), and his support for racial profiling, there's also the fact that hid evidence of over 1,000 cases of sexual abuse at orthodox Yeshivas in NYC.

Strange. You would think that Lieberman would support someone like Trump, who would appoint John Bolton Secretary of State and has stated that he'd start a war with Iran if he saw a Persian soldier making an "improper gesture".

You severely misunderstand both Joe Lieberman and neoconservatism in general. Anyway, while I don't think he's explicitly endorsed Trump, I do know Jim Justice has come out as #NeverHillary, so there's a decent second example.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »

I'm very excited for people like Tom Allon.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »

I kinda hope Calvin Butts will win because of his unfortunate name.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »

Lieberman's endorsement, I believe, had more to do with Trump's behavior towards McCain than anything else.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »

Hikind's only a Democrat because (A) of the registration of his district, and (B) because of the permanent majority NY's Democrats enjoy in the NY State Assembly.  Why they don't strip him of his seniority and committee assignments is beyond me, and they may do that next year. 

There's no way Hikind could get the Democratic nomination for Mayor, absent a widely split Democratic Primary.  He'd be the Jewish Mario Procaccino if he were the Democratic nominee.  If he were a candidate of, say, New York's Independence Party and were well funded, he might win in a crowded field, but that's not likely, either.  The real issue is how long the Democratic Party will put up with Hikind.

I'm an Independent. I like Hikind. I don't always agree with him, but he's tough on some issues. If Hikind ran for mayor as a Democrat to challenge De Blasio, he'd probably get 20% + of the Jewish vote in the outer-boroughs. He'd carry his area, though.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 10:22:02 PM »

Dov Hikind would get my support for Mayor over almost any candidate. Ray Kelly, David Greenfield and Christine Quinn would be the only candidates I'd consider over him.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 10:39:49 PM »

My only priority at this point is getting the vile, anti-Democratic De Blasio out of office, so I'm hoping for someone like Stringer or Jeffries to jump in. Not ideal candidates for me, but strong chance of unseating Billy Boy.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »

Dov Hikind would get my support for Mayor over almost any candidate. Ray Kelly, David Greenfield and Christine Quinn would be the only candidates I'd consider over him.

What exactly do you like about him? He's an absolutely vile racist and gay-hater.

Eh..I like that he's tough. He fights for his constituents in Boro Park, Midwood.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 12:21:04 PM by bronz4141 »

My only priority at this point is getting the vile, anti-Democratic De Blasio out of office, so I'm hoping for someone like Stringer or Jeffries to jump in. Not ideal candidates for me, but strong chance of unseating Billy Boy.

The only candidates that could beat De Blasio in a primary is Christine Quinn or Scott Stringer. They can appeal to the outerborough voters in Queens, Staten Island. Queens assemblyman Andrew Hevesi, the son of former corrupt Comptroller Alan Hevesi, could win a primary as well.

If De Blasio wins reelection, he may want to run for Governor in 2018 or 2022. He won't do a Bloomberg and force a third term. He may want to be president as well, down the line.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 01:10:54 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

What exactly do you like about him? He's an absolutely vile racist and gay-hater.

Eh..I like that he's tough. He fights for his constituents in Boro Park, Midwood.

Agreed. I love De Blaz more than anything, but I'd encourage my family to give Hikind a very strong look.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »

Right now I'm watching CNN. Christine Quinn is a good Democratic Party attack dog. She could make it a competitive race against De Blasio if she ran again. She could win Queens, Staten Island, and maybe even Brooklyn from De Blasio.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »

Massey sees himself like Mike Bloomberg. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative. He's a centrist, I suppose. However, Staten Island conservatives are socially conservative. I don't know if he'll do well. He's just like Joe Lhota, the 2013 GOP nominee that lost to De Blasio. He may be more appealing than Lhota, however.

After the disaster De Blasio has been they may be willing to reconsider.  Joe Lhota could have done much better if he had come out against Stop N Frisk.  What an idiot.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »

John Catsimatidis is likely to run for Mayor against Bill de Blasio in 2017, but as a Republican. If things go awry, Cats could be a contender. He has a lot of charm.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/catsimatidis-run-mayor-de-blasio-2017-article-1.2872287
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 01:45:59 AM »

John Catsimatidis is likely to run for Mayor against Bill de Blasio in 2017, but as a Republican. If things go awry, Cats could be a contender. He has a lot of charm.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/catsimatidis-run-mayor-de-blasio-2017-article-1.2872287

lololololololol
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2016, 09:08:10 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 09:17:00 PM by bronz4141 »

A new poll shows that De Blasio would beat Christine Quinn, Scott Stringer, and Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. in a hypothetical Democratic primary. I think Quinn may run again. She could give him a challenge. Quinn leads with white voters with 27%. She would beat him in Staten Island and Queens.

Scott Stringer would win Staten Island 42%-27% over De Blasio in Staten Island. De Blasio is really unpopular on the Island. It went for President-elect Trump 57%-40%.

https://poll.qu.edu/new-york-city/release-detail?ReleaseID=2402
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2016, 02:58:20 AM »

Taking out BdB likely requires bleeding his black/hispanic support in the primary. Quinn and Stringer aren't going to do that. Run up the margins in Staten Island all you want.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »

Quinnipiac polled this race and found that NYC voters did not think De Blasio deserved re-election by a 49-39% margin, they found that De Blasio is the favorite in a dem. primary but De Blasio leads Quinn 41-35 in a hypothetical GE matchup
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2016, 02:29:59 PM by Sweet Meteor O' Death 2016 »

De Blasio's "I don't care about 5th Avenue retailers" moment is yet another nail in the coffin of the worst Mayor in NYC history. Communists may make for appealing representatives where they can push fringe policies with little impact, but they make horrible executives.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2016, 02:08:29 PM »

I don't know why De Blasio would be bad or unpopular, but I'm on the Dov train for sure!
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »

I kinda hope Calvin Butts will win because of his unfortunate name.
Too bad his first name isn't Seymour.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »

I don't know why De Blasio would be bad or unpopular, but I'm on the Dov train for sure!

Dov could appeal to some conservative black voters in Brooklyn and Queens. De Blasio should have some primary challengers. The only Republican that could beat De Blasio is Cats or Eric Ulrich, who can appeal to outerborough ethnics.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »

Sen. Tony Avella is mulling a bid
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies