Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2017, 03:30:12 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, Virginia)
| | |-+  New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread  (Read 14867 times)
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:57 am »
Ignore

I'm a little surprised that de Blasio's approval rating is that high, to be honest, but he'll win the vote of a lot of people who disapprove. As the poll suggests, the final result should be de Blasio winning somewhere between 65 and 70% of the vote unless something substantial changes (including a new GOP candidate and not a sacrificial lamb like Malliotakis or, even worse, Massey).

Yeah. This is my first time following NYC politics and from what nearly everyone on this site was saying I thought de Blasio would be in more trouble than this. I also find it interesting how he holds up in Staten Island against Massey.

Massey is a carpetbagger who doesn't understand NYC politics. He'll win the wealthy Northern Bronx and Forest Hills, and some wealthy NYC conservative areas, but that's about it.
Tintrlvr
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:56 pm »
Ignore

I'm a little surprised that de Blasio's approval rating is that high, to be honest, but he'll win the vote of a lot of people who disapprove. As the poll suggests, the final result should be de Blasio winning somewhere between 65 and 70% of the vote unless something substantial changes (including a new GOP candidate and not a sacrificial lamb like Malliotakis or, even worse, Massey).

Yeah. This is my first time following NYC politics and from what nearly everyone on this site was saying I thought de Blasio would be in more trouble than this. I also find it interesting how he holds up in Staten Island against Massey.

Well, it's clear now and has been for at least the past three-four months (I live in NYC) that de Blasio is going to win reelection. The opportunity for a significant challenge in the Democratic primary passed around January (the last chance was if Clinton had decided to throw her hat in, but by the time she was being discussed, no one else was a threat to de Blasio and she was only a threat because of her enormous presence), and the Republicans never had much chance of unseating him, even when he was quite unpopular, without at the least a divisive Democratic primary and a much stronger candidate than a random Staten Island Assemblywoman or random rich people. That said, I don't have the impression that he has become popular, more that people don't feel as passionately negatively about him as they used to. And I'm sure the Democrats are experiencing some rally-round-the-flag effects in the Trump era also.

The final result will look about like 2013, maybe slightly narrower.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:26:54 pm by Tintrlvr »Logged
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2017, 04:10:07 pm »
Ignore

GOP mayoral candidate Paul Massey drops out of 2017 mayoral election:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/republican-paul-massey-drops-mayoral-race-article-1.3285166

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/28/nyregion/paul-massey-new-york-mayors-race.html
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:45 pm »
Ignore

It looks like Assemblywoman Malliotakis is the clear frontrunner in NYC GOP primary. Massey didn't even live in the city until in 2015, he only worked in the city, and commuted back home to Westchester County.

Turnout may be very, very low in September 12's primary, and on Election Day, November 7.

2021 may be the big year in NYC politics like it was in 2013 after 12 years of Bloomberg.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2017, 04:19:21 pm »
Ignore

How have de Blasio's approval ratings got so much better? I thought they were bad and he was possibly facing a primary challenge.
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2017, 04:21:29 pm »
Ignore

How have de Blasio's approval ratings got so much better? I thought they were bad and he was possibly facing a primary challenge.

His approval ratings jumped back because some like his economic record and the anti-Trump resistance in NYC.
Silent Cal
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2017, 04:23:41 pm »
Ignore

Maliotakis seems like a great candidate (I do not know much about her though). It seems she will lose this handily, but does any new yorker see her as a potential candidate for higher office in NY in the future?
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2017, 08:12:48 pm »
Ignore

Perennial mayoral candidate Sal Albanese calls De Blasio a name.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/07/albanese-bill-de-blasio-is-the-biggest-a-hole-in-city-hall/

De Blasio is attacked in NYC for rushing to Hamburg, Germany to attend the G20 summit this week to discuss climate change, while the city has been mourning the death of a New York City police officer, Miosotis Familia, who was murdered by a cop killer.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/07/cop-killer-reportedly-warned-hospital-he-was-homicidal/
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2017, 08:15:46 pm »
Ignore

Maliotakis seems like a great candidate (I do not know much about her though). It seems she will lose this handily, but does any new yorker see her as a potential candidate for higher office in NY in the future?

I'm not a New Yorker, but I usually travel around Staten Island since S.I. is near N.J., and she could potentially run for NY governor in 2022, 2026. She could run for NYC mayor again in 2021 since De Blasio will be reelected again, despite some mishaps. She will only win Staten Island. Queens, a close second, but very unlikely.
Silent Cal
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
Ignore

http://nypost.com/2017/07/07/albanese-bill-de-blasio-is-the-biggest-a-hole-in-city-hall/

De Blasio is attacked in NYC for rushing to Hamburg, Germany to attend the G20 summit this week to discuss climate change, while the city has been mourning the death of a New York City police officer, Miosotis Familia, who was murdered by a cop killer.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/07/cop-killer-reportedly-warned-hospital-he-was-homicidal/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/nyregion/de-blasio-makes-sudden-trip-to-trump-protests-at-g-20-summit.html

He's going to protest, not participate. There's a difference. I hope this hurts his chances because it is clearly a political ploy for media attention for national office.
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2017, 09:03:52 pm »
Ignore

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/nyregion/de-blasio-makes-sudden-trip-to-trump-protests-at-g-20-summit.html

He's going to protest, not participate. There's a difference. I hope this hurts his chances because it is clearly a political ploy for media attention for national office.

De Blasio will likely be reelected. Malliotakis will keep it competitive, and Bo Dietl could appeal to angry white New Yorkers left in the city. No major New York City Democrat can emerge now like a Spitzer 2013 Comptroller run. Christine Quinn or Scott Stringer can do it, but maybe in 2021.
Progressive
jro660
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2017, 07:21:27 am »
Ignore

Petitioning season is over. No one else can access the ballot now. The field is set.
Acting Southern Delegate The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2017, 09:55:25 am »
Ignore

Why is de la Fuente a Republican all of a sudden?

Moderate Republican

#NeverBernie

First Degree Burns
Firstdegreeburns
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2017, 10:19:51 am »
Ignore

I don't understand either.

Progressive
jro660
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2017, 02:29:10 pm »
Ignore

He's looking to have some fun and because he figured it was easier to sneak in a mano a mano against BdB by being the GOP nominee.
Delegate BlueDogDemocrat
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2017, 03:04:23 pm »
Ignore

He's looking to have some fun and because he figured it was easier to sneak in a mano a mano against BdB by being the GOP nominee.
He went from Democrat to starting his own party to Reform and now to Republican in the span of 2 years. He ran for president from California, the U.S. Senate in Florida, and now for Mayor of NYC all in the span of 2 years. Wondering why he decided to run as a republican is just the beginning of Fuente's craziness and inconsistency. I honestly have no clue where he really is from and what his actual beliefs are.   

Acting Southern Delegate The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:47 pm »
Ignore

He went from Democrat to starting his own party to Reform and now to Republican in the span of 2 years. He ran for president from California, the U.S. Senate in Florida, and now for Mayor of NYC all in the span of 2 years. Wondering why he decided to run as a republican is just the beginning of Fuente's craziness and inconsistency. I honestly have no clue where he really is from and what his actual beliefs are.   
He said that he was fiscally conservative and opposed sanctuary cities to some random Republican voters and I was like wtf. I remember him calling himself a prpressive

Moderate Republican

#NeverBernie

Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2017, 11:29:34 am »
Ignore

Scott Stringer endorsed Bill de Blasio today, shutting down any rumors of a run.

bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2017, 12:59:59 pm »
Ignore

De Blasio and Stringer still have a rivalry, but they can get along since they are both Democrats.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/16/de-blasio-and-stringer-support-each-others-re-election-bids/

Had Stringer ran for mayor against De Blasio, he may have won Staten Island and Queens.
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:47 pm »
Ignore

Scott Stringer endorsed Bill de Blasio today, shutting down any rumors of a run.

Far too late even if he wanted to. De Blasio seems set to cruise to victory.

The world is becoming globalized, but cosmopolitanism is being hijacked by the Davos Man. What choice is left besides nationalism? The thought is terrifying, to be honest.

I just hope Trump doesn't turn into some kind of Berlusconi-esque Teflon man.
Progressive
jro660
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2017, 10:50:12 am »
Ignore

Primary is in less than a month. Anyone think Albanese picking up steam?
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2017, 09:12:38 pm »
Ignore

Yes. I like him. He's not going to be mayor, he ran for mayor in 1997, 2001, and 2013, but Albanese should run for Congress against Dan Donovan, the former S.I. D.A. who allowed Eric Garner's killer walk free in 2014.

He'll do well in Staten Island and some parts of Brooklyn, but turnout will be very, very low on September 12.
Progressive
jro660
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2017, 07:52:33 am »
Ignore

Yes. I like him. He's not going to be mayor, he ran for mayor in 1997, 2001, and 2013, but Albanese should run for Congress against Dan Donovan, the former S.I. D.A. who allowed Eric Garner's killer walk free in 2014.

He'll do well in Staten Island and some parts of Brooklyn, but turnout will be very, very low on September 12.

DEB getting so much bad press lately, wouldn't be surprised if he does worse than thought
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2017, 03:45:13 pm »
Ignore

DEB getting so much bad press lately, wouldn't be surprised if he does worse than thought

He may win the Democratic renomination by 30 points or less.
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2017, 11:49:40 am »
Ignore

For obvious reasons, DeBlaiso never gets positive press coverage.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout