New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread  (Read 34483 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2017, 09:10:20 PM by bronz4141 »

Dietl and Massey will tie for South Brooklyn votes. Bay Ridgeites will love Dietl. Marine Park folks will like Massey, they remind him of a blue collar boy who grew up and became fairly wealthy.

Massey does not know about some of the issues facing New Yorkers because he has been living in Westchester County. He'd best run for Westchester County Executive after Astorino in 2021 than for mayor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/call-mayoral-election-article-1.3015471
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »

Black Republicans may go for Massey, Dietl has said some Trumpian things. However, Dietl is more charismatic than Massey. Massey is a Republican in the mold of Charlie Baker, Mitt Romney, and Michael Bloomberg, but centrist.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »

Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-Staten Island), a white ethnic Republican Greek woman, is considering running for mayor if businessman and fellow Greek, John Catsimidis decides not to run.

http://www.silive.com/news/2017/04/malliotakis_ill_run_for_mayor.html

She'd easily be the best candidate for the GOP. Not that any of them will win but still
Duke of York

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2017, 11:17:58 PM »

Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-Staten Island), a white ethnic Republican Greek woman, is considering running for mayor if businessman and fellow Greek, John Catsimidis decides not to run.

http://www.silive.com/news/2017/04/malliotakis_ill_run_for_mayor.html

She'd easily be the best candidate for the GOP. Not that any of them will win but still

I don't doubt she would be the best candidate but i haven't really heard anything about her running other than a few news stories and I she might make it close but i don't think she'd win.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »

Malliotakis just announced she will be a candidate.
Duke of York

« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »

source please? and how likely is it she gets the nomination?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »

Malliotakis vs. De Blasio is Lean D. Malliotakis could do well with female voters in Queens--the ultimate swing voters in NYC.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »

source please? and how likely is it she gets the nomination?

Clarification: She has filed papers to run.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/25/nicole-malliotakis-files-papers-to-launch-bid-for-mayor/
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

Malliotakis vs. De Blasio is Lean D. Malliotakis could do well with female voters in Queens--the ultimate swing voters in NYC.

Your commentary on this election has been a string of hilariously delusional and/or misinformed statements. I applaud your efforts at humor.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »

Can anyone explain why Rocky is running as a Republican?  I saw that someone said he apparently had private polls saying he would win the primary, but was that the only reason?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »

Your commentary on this election has been a string of hilariously delusional and/or misinformed statements. I applaud your efforts at humor.

As someone who lives near NYC, I know some women that do not like De Blasio. That is why his approval ratings is mediocre. Female voters-middle class female voters are the swing vote in New York.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2017, 05:39:44 PM »

Billionaire businessman John Catsimatidis is considering running for mayor, will make a decision either tonight or early Monday morning, via Politico. Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis has vowed that she would withdraw from the mayoral election if Cats runs. Cats almost gave 2013 GOP mayoral nominee Joe Lhota a run. 

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2017/04/28/catsimatidis-allies-urge-him-to-enter-mayors-race-see-easy-path-to-republican-nomination-111642
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »

NYC Republicans don't want Bo Dietl around the city Republican Party. They call him toxic after some comments about New York City First Lady Chirlaine McCray De Blasio and other baggage from the past. Dietl may have more baggage than the person he voted for, President Trump.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/nyc-gop-leaders-show-no-support-bo-dietl-mayoral-candidacy-article-1.3135051

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bo-dietl-accused-pulling-journalist-private-info-fox-execs-article-1.3096379

He says that Paul Massey is a white bread establishment country club Republican candidate. He is. He is like Charlie Baker and Mitt Romney.

With Dietl vowing to run as an Independent, he could pull away some white ethnic outerborough Italian and Irish voters who think Massey is Romney/Bloomberg 2.0 in the fall.

I wonder if Dietl could get 15% as an independent in New York City.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »

Massey has not voted in years according to NY records. He recently moved to NYC. I don't think he understands NYC politics.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2017/04/18/mayoral-candidate-massey-missed-chances-to-vote-on-many-past-election-days.html
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2017, 05:02:33 PM »

Massey has not voted in years according to NY records. He recently moved to NYC. I don't think he understands NYC politics.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2017/04/18/mayoral-candidate-massey-missed-chances-to-vote-on-many-past-election-days.html

Well, for one thing he's a Republican in NYC.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »

Malliotakis and Catsimatidis are the only candidates I would easily support in this race.

Dietl sounds like a loon and Massey is an HP, it seems.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »

This is relevant I believe (Quinnipiac):

1. If the election for Mayor were being held today, and the candidates were Bill de Blasio the Democrat, and Paul Massey the Republican, for whom would you vote?

Total:    Bronx     Kings      Man       Qns     St.Isl
de Blasio:  63%      68%       62%        72%      59%  44%
Massey:     21%      17%       21%        13%      24%  40%

2. If the election for Mayor were being held today, and the candidates were Bill de Blasio the Democrat, and Nicole Malliotakis the Republican, for whom would you vote?
              Total:      Brnx     Kings     Man     Qns      St.Isl
de Blasio:  64%    71%    61%      74%    58%         43%
Malliotakis: 21%   15%    21%     13%    25%          46%

6. Do you approve or disapprove of the way Bill de Blasio is handling his job as Mayor?

Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 34%

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »

I'm a little surprised that de Blasio's approval rating is that high, to be honest, but he'll win the vote of a lot of people who disapprove. As the poll suggests, the final result should be de Blasio winning somewhere between 65 and 70% of the vote unless something substantial changes (including a new GOP candidate and not a sacrificial lamb like Malliotakis or, even worse, Massey).
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »

I'm a little surprised that de Blasio's approval rating is that high, to be honest, but he'll win the vote of a lot of people who disapprove. As the poll suggests, the final result should be de Blasio winning somewhere between 65 and 70% of the vote unless something substantial changes (including a new GOP candidate and not a sacrificial lamb like Malliotakis or, even worse, Massey).

Yeah. This is my first time following NYC politics and from what nearly everyone on this site was saying I thought de Blasio would be in more trouble than this. I also find it interesting how he holds up in Staten Island against Massey.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »

Yeah. This is my first time following NYC politics and from what nearly everyone on this site was saying I thought de Blasio would be in more trouble than this. I also find it interesting how he holds up in Staten Island against Massey.

Massey is a carpetbagger who doesn't understand NYC politics. He'll win the wealthy Northern Bronx and Forest Hills, and some wealthy NYC conservative areas, but that's about it.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2017, 12:26:54 PM by Tintrlvr »

Well, it's clear now and has been for at least the past three-four months (I live in NYC) that de Blasio is going to win reelection. The opportunity for a significant challenge in the Democratic primary passed around January (the last chance was if Clinton had decided to throw her hat in, but by the time she was being discussed, no one else was a threat to de Blasio and she was only a threat because of her enormous presence), and the Republicans never had much chance of unseating him, even when he was quite unpopular, without at the least a divisive Democratic primary and a much stronger candidate than a random Staten Island Assemblywoman or random rich people. That said, I don't have the impression that he has become popular, more that people don't feel as passionately negatively about him as they used to. And I'm sure the Democrats are experiencing some rally-round-the-flag effects in the Trump era also.

The final result will look about like 2013, maybe slightly narrower.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »

GOP mayoral candidate Paul Massey drops out of 2017 mayoral election:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/republican-paul-massey-drops-mayoral-race-article-1.3285166

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/28/nyregion/paul-massey-new-york-mayors-race.html
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »

It looks like Assemblywoman Malliotakis is the clear frontrunner in NYC GOP primary. Massey didn't even live in the city until in 2015, he only worked in the city, and commuted back home to Westchester County.

Turnout may be very, very low in September 12's primary, and on Election Day, November 7.

2021 may be the big year in NYC politics like it was in 2013 after 12 years of Bloomberg.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »

How have de Blasio's approval ratings got so much better? I thought they were bad and he was possibly facing a primary challenge.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »

How have de Blasio's approval ratings got so much better? I thought they were bad and he was possibly facing a primary challenge.

His approval ratings jumped back because some like his economic record and the anti-Trump resistance in NYC.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies