Should Trump drop out of the GOP race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:53:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should Trump drop out of the GOP race?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Trump drop out of the GOP race?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Should Trump drop out of the GOP race?  (Read 1092 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »

Should Trump drop out of the race for running as president for the GOP? He's toxic to the party and ruining it. I believe he's a plant to sabotage the party so Hillary can get elected.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »

No. If the Republican Party gets slaughtered this election, then maybe they'll think twice before nominating somebody like Trump again.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »

No, its already too late to get his name removed from the ballot on many states.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:39:40 PM »

They had 3 chances in 2008, 2012 and 2016. If they cannot win the election in 2020, they're officially the new Whig party if not already.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »

They had 3 chances in 2008, 2012 and 2016. If they cannot win the election in 2020, they're officially the new Whig party if not already.

They had 3 chances in 1932, 1936, and 1940. If they cannot win the election in 1944, they're officially the new Whig party if not already.

Chill. Unless we have some reforms to the way candidates advance to the general election in America, the two parties are here to stay.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »

Should he? Yes.

Will he? Only for a King's ransom.

Is it coming? Only Ryan and Priebus know for sure.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »

"They knew what they were doing when they bought those tickets... I say, let 'em crash!"
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »

No.
We need him to stay, so he can get smashed and humiliated.
And to teach the GOP a lesson, not to nominate clowns in the future.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »

No. There is no time or process for voters to weigh in on a new GOP candidate, and it would be disregarding the will of the primary voters.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »

No. There is no time or process for voters to weigh in on a new GOP candidate, and it would be disregarding the will of the primary voters.

That's the thing. It is the will of the majority of primary voters to nominate Trump. The GOP establishment had their hands tied. There is a lesson to be learned here and hopefully the GOP is being humiliated into learning it. Either that, or history is sure to repeat itself next time.

So the question they have to ask themselves is, will they listen to the people, finally? And change?
kyc0705

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2016, 02:19:58 PM by kyc0705 »

No. The GOP deserves to lose this election. Maybe someday this will lead to reform, and the party can become a more conventional Western conservative movement, instead of playing to racism, bigotry, and other forms of plain ignorance.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, guaranteeing that a patently unqualified, anti-intellectual, unhinged bigot will not become President of the United States is appealing for obvious reasons. On the other hand, the leadership of the Republican party has continued to rally around Trump, and there is perhaps more to be gained by keeping him in the race so that his defeat - and the accompanying humiliation of those who have defended and promoted his candidacy - is as overwhelming as possible, thus making it less likely anyone similar to him will be taken seriously in presidential politics ever again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 02:53:32 PM »

I think the writing is on the wall for the Trump campaign and the 1996 strategy for control of the House not the Senate which is leaning Dem, is in place.  Pence can help with downballot races.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »

If Trump really never wanted to be President, as some allege here, then, yes, he should drop out.  I don't believe that this is the case, however.

Otherwise, why should he?  Really, why?

He's not spent the entire campaign (until recently) under Federal investigation.  The FBI director hasn't described him as "careless" with classified information, and has not stated that he lied about things that were a matter in a Federal investigation. 

He's not committed any crimes, or been accused of committing any crimes.

He's not been revealed to have lied about his qualifications for President.  He is who he is, and he's a known quantity.  He has the experience he has, and people knew this when they voted for him.

He's attacked Khazir Khan, a Gold Star Father who willingly got into the partisan political fray and attacked Trump personally.  Nothing in Trump's actions here constitute a reason to quit, and I'm not convinced that, given the totality of that situation, Trump owes anyone an apology. 

Why should he quit?  He was nominated by voters fully aware of his comments, and his issue positions.  He has not been revealed in any way to be any different now than he was before he was nominated.  And his party didn't go into the tank for him, or clear the field for him, as the Democrats did for their nominee.

Who people ought to vote for is another question.  But the idea that Trump should step aside is about as silly as the idea that I should just quit being a parent and give my 11 year old son up for adoption.  It's THAT silly.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 08:06:08 PM »

Yes, you're a smart cookie.  I like this idea.
cMac36
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »

Should Trump drop out of the race for running as president for the GOP? He's toxic to the party and ruining it. I believe he's a plant to sabotage the party so Hillary can get elected.

He's not a plant but also doesn't at all care if he leaves the Republican party in wreckage.  He is only capable of caring about himself and, I grant, his family and close confidants, though those themselves are often psychodramas.  (He will have falling outs and back-ins with people: Roger Stone is one.) 

So the question is, from whose perspective?  The truth is that nothing will happen, the GOP first of all is not as a unit powerful or united or daring enough to scheme to rip him off the ballot AND roll out a new candidate. 

Trump would never voluntarily step down, he would have to be coerced or enticed out.  I don't know if that is possible.. first of all, what's it worth?  If Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan offered him a bag of $200M in hundred dollar bills - I don't know if they could secure such a thing - Trump might well accept it.  But somebody (or group of somebodies) would have to be willing to do it, and would have to have a well-connected, well-thought out plan.  No such group exists within, or associated with, the GOP.
tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »

No.

I'm not a fan of Trump, and would never vote for him.

However, he was supported by by a plurality of Republican voters in caucuses and primaries. He won the majority of delegates to the GOP convention. He was, in turn, nominated by the Republican Party.

The GOP made this bed, let them lie in it.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »

All of you are complete idiots.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »

No. The GOP has to endure the consequences of nominating this fool.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »

Nope. He won the primaries and the GOP has to learn its lesson. And I don’t want to hear the Trumpster for years that he would have won; he needs to be crushed at the polls. He’ll find an excuse afterwards for the loss anyway (“system rigged” etc.), but these will sound even more stupid so that none believes it expect his hardcore-supporters.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »

Nope. He won the primaries and the GOP has to learn its lesson. And I don’t want to hear the Trumpster for years that he would have won; he needs to be crushed at the polls. He’ll find an excuse afterwards for the loss anyway (“system rigged” etc.), but these will sound even more stupid so that none believes it expect his hardcore-supporters.

In other words Smiley, withdraw or lose, you will hear from him for years to come.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »

No, he won the nomination fair and square, so he shouldn't drop out and anyone stating he might is living in fairyland.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »

He should drop out. It would still teach the GOP a lesson, and be better for the country than three months of a Trump presidential campaign.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 10:14:22 AM »

I wish that we didn't have to live with the possibility of a Trump presidency, but he won the Republican nomination fair and square. Now we have to live with the consequences.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 10:50:36 AM »

The only reason people in this thread are saying Trump should drop out is because they are afraid of him winning, and more than that know he has a good chance of winning.

If he had no chance of winning or becoming President, then certainly you shouldn't be bothered by his candidacy.
Unless I'm a Republican, and prefer a generic Republican to Hillary Clinton.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies