Post your most controverserial oponions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:37:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Post your most controverserial oponions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Post your most controverserial oponions  (Read 4204 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »

Thanks, but I think I'm a bit young for you.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

mainstrema politicians need to be more socially liberal and fiscally conservative (like me lol)

This.

And: In some cases (like terrorism or very brutal crimes), with clear proof, I'm in favor of capital punishment. Very controversal, here in Germany even more than in the US.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »

OK, I'll post a honest opinion I have that seems to be highly controversial on here: I think humanity is great. I think that, despite all the awful things that we've done and keep doing right now, we have the potential to do good and that's ultimately what matters most. I think misanthropy (the kind that's widely held on here but most cogently articulated by a certain R-MI avatar) is the greatest danger that faces us and must be combated in every form. I think the only way to hold ourselves to a higher standard, and thereby become better as a civilization, is to start from a basis of unconditional love for humanity, and that anyone who doesn't start from such basis has no chance to truly improve reality.

And yeah, I realize I fall short of that a lot of the time.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »

- political correctness ignores our problems and is ruining this country. We need to look to Scott Walker and Chris Christie as great examples of bravery - we don't have to agree with them or vote for them - but at least they know to stand up for what they believe in. (Trump is in a totally different category and doesn't fit here)

- We should use the term "illegal immigrants" not "undocumented immigrants"

- Military spending should be cut significantly. Like, back to 2008 levels and then frozen there for a time without exception, not even for inflation, unless there is a two thirds vote of congress.

- Politicians should always place their country over their party or their reelection

- No party has a monopoly on good ideas

- Both parties deserve some level of punishment for abortion (willing to compromise on exactly what that is)

Thanks Wulfric,i was worried that people were ignoring the intention of this thread and started posting seriously. Thank god you came in with some.classic sh**tposts.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »

My most controverserial oponion is that everyone is this thread who posted a non-troll answer should be very ashamed.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »

Just thirteen years. But don't worry, I already came up with your couple name to balance out the age: Kalsmith or Smithwejt.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »

My most controverserial oponion is that everyone is this thread who posted a non-troll answer should be very ashamed.

My apologies.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »

Just thirteen years. But don't worry, I already came up with your couple name to balance out the age: Kalsmith or Smithwejt.

I think we should notify John Walsh about your... weird way of thinking.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »

I think we should notify John Walsh about your... weird way of thinking.

https://imgflip.com/i/18ohto
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 06:48:48 PM »

Wawa is better than Sheetz
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »

Cognitively mature human beings deserve higher moral standing than infants and even small children.

I'll say the inverse of this--cognitive capacity, intelligence, ability to live independently, and level of maturity/development/decline should all be completely irrelevant to a human being's moral standing.

Also, expressing strong dislike for children should not be any more socially acceptable or cute or chic than expressing strong dislike for the elderly.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »

Controversial for Atlas? Marriage is an institution ordained by God between one man and one woman.

I don't know why you imply Atlas is out of the mainstream on this. Maybe a decade ago yes, but have you seen the recent polls?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »

This is just a fact though. Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »

Cognitively mature human beings deserve higher moral standing than infants and even small children.

I'll say the inverse of this--cognitive capacity, intelligence, ability to live independently, and level of maturity/development/decline should all be completely irrelevant to a human being's moral standing.

Also, expressing strong dislike for children should not be any more socially acceptable or cute or chic than expressing strong dislike for the elderly.

Probably not something that I should have posted from my phone when I can't get into what I believe its implications are. For now I'll just add that (1) I don't think that what I mean by maturity has anything to do with intelligence or cognitive capacity and (2) while most adults probably like most children more than I do, and would blanch at my statement, it is extremely rare for adults to treat children as if they mattered as much as other adults, even though most of us would agree that we would be living in a better world if they did.

The second sentence/paragraph in my post wasn't directed at you, fwiw.

Yes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2016, 02:19:05 AM »

Probably not something that I should have posted from my phone when I can't get into what I believe its implications are. For now I'll just add that (1) I don't think that what I mean by maturity has anything to do with intelligence or cognitive capacity and (2) while most adults probably like most children more than I do, and would blanch at my statement, it is extremely rare for adults to treat children as if they mattered as much as other adults, even though most of us would agree that we would be living in a better world if they did.

I'm really curious what you believe the implications are, since the only ones I can think of are either things that already exist (we don't let children vote and generally agree that, beyond the worst kinds of abuse, they're subject to the authority of their parents) or things that I'm hoping any decent person will agree are utterly monstrous (like, apparently there's a guy who thinks we should legalize infanticide).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »

this is not an opinion (joke or non-joke) but, more of a question.....joke threads should be in OT or FC, right?  Putting them in a "regular" place seems....wrong?  No?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »

Oddly enough, I support allowing at least children who are old enough to read a ballot the right to vote.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I definitely think there's no valid reason to prevent children above 10 or 11 (isn't that around when the capacity for abstract thinking develops?) from voting.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:47 AM »

unfortunately, my college is in Sheetz territory so I have been overwhelmed by those folks. They don't know what they're missing out on.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »

Oddly enough, I support allowing at least children who are old enough to read a ballot the right to vote.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I definitely think there's no valid reason to prevent children above 10 or 11 (isn't that around when the capacity for abstract thinking develops?) from voting.

Other than or in addition to the fact that they have no idea how a county/state/nation should be run?

I mean, most adults don't possess that knowledge either, but at least they possess the capacity
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2016, 01:02:34 PM »

Excuse you. I am 14.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »

Excuse you. I am 14.

I think he meant the difference was 13 years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »

Other than or in addition to the fact that they have no idea how a county/state/nation should be run?

I mean, most adults don't possess that knowledge either, but at least they possess the capacity

12-year-olds also very clearly possess the capacity. Congrats, you've done a very good job debunking your own argument.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »

12-year-olds also very clearly possess the capacity. Congrats, you've done a very good job debunking your own argument.

Being around the age in question and coming in contact with 10-12 year olds often, I can say that most folks my age shouldn't be able to vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2016, 02:56:20 PM »

Being around the age in question and coming in contact with 10-12 year olds often, I can say that most folks my age shouldn't be able to vote.

Again, that's an argument that could EASILY be made about adults.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies