TX-SEN 2018: McCaul courted to primary Cruz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:59:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2018: McCaul courted to primary Cruz
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2018: McCaul courted to primary Cruz  (Read 2010 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »

Not ruling it out for now.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »

Oh, please, please do it McCaul. He'll be termed out of his post as House Homeland Security Committee Chairman by then, so not much to lose. He's very wealthy, and could unite Trumpists, Establishment R's, Pragmatic/Contructive R's, and perhaps a small number of Cruzists who are disaffectioned. Please, I hope he does it and wins.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »

McCaul could beat Cruz. He is wealthy, and the Chamber of Commerce donors could support him over Cruz. He represents the Austin to Houston suburban area and lives in the wealthy suburbs near Austin. He could make it competitive. I don't know if Joaquin or Julian Castro can beat McCaul in a demographic-changing Texas.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »

Endorsed.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 05:33:52 PM »

McCaul could beat Cruz. He is wealthy, and the Chamber of Commerce donors could support him over Cruz. He represents the Austin to Houston suburban area and lives in the wealthy suburbs near Austin. He could make it competitive. I don't know if Joaquin or Julian Castro can beat McCaul in a demographic-changing Texas.
They couldn't. True, maybe they could get a bump by turning out Hispanics (and getting them to vote for them), but Texas has few swing voters, and I doubt they'd get many Cruz 2012/Abbott 2014 voters to flip. Texas Hispanics have been far more Conservative than they are nationally. For example, TX-27 is 59% minority, yet R+13. Bush, Perry, Cornyn, Cruz, etc. usually get 40% or so of the Hispanic vote. I bet Trump this year gets fewer Texas Hispanic voters than McCain/Romney, but after, patterns revert to how they were before Trump. Texas won't become competitive until 2030 or so. Period.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »

Called it!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 06:52:38 PM »

Cruz will be re-elected. If Hillary wins, Trump will go under the bus so fast it'll make your head spin, and he will look prescient/be vindicated. If Trump wins, nobody will care enough to vote him out 2 years later since everything turned out fine anyway.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 07:29:47 PM »

I support Ted Cruz.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »

I endorse McCaul in the primary, just because I really hate Ted Cruz.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »

There aren't any credible Democrats who can win that seat in 2018, so I would enthusiastically support McCaul in the primary.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »

Cruz endorsed; not out of any great love for Cruz's ideology (especially since McCaul is probably closer to me), but out of respect for going to the Quicken Loans and poking all the Trumpies in the nose.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »

Cruz endorsed; not out of any great love for Cruz's ideology (especially since McCaul is probably closer to me), but out of respect for going to the Quicken Loans and poking all the Trumpies in the nose.

Agree with everything except the crossed-out part (they're both ideologically unacceptable to me obviously).
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »

He also enabled Trump for months and refused to attack him while Trump was gathering strength.  That is unforgiveable.  He's more responsible for Trump than anyone else.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 11:39:11 PM »

That would be a nice money sink for Republicans.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 11:49:02 PM »

Is he a trumpist option or just a MUHHH FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE BUTT MODERATE option?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 12:32:32 AM »

For example, TX-27 is 59% minority, yet R+13. Bush, Perry, Cornyn, Cruz, etc. usually get 40% or so of the Hispanic vote.

That's cause a lot of those Hispanics are actually mixed with White.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 01:19:09 AM »

He also enabled Trump for months and refused to attack him while Trump was gathering strength.  That is unforgiveable.  He's more responsible for Trump than anyone else.

Every candidate, with the notable exceptions of Fiorina and Walker, spent months enabling Trump. Cruz ultimately scored some of the most lasting hits on him. That's not something you can overlook.

Is he a trumpist option or just a MUHHH FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE BUTT MODERATE option?

The latter, duh
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »

Every candidate, with the notable exceptions of Fiorina and Walker, spent months enabling Trump. Cruz ultimately scored some of the most lasting hits on him. That's not something you can overlook.

The latter, duh
I'm not sure I'd put Jeb! in that category. I remember him always attacking Trump's proposals, particularly mass deportation.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2016, 07:53:34 PM by ElectionsGuy »

Good, can't wait to see him (McCaul) lose when it happens.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 12:23:40 AM »

He's a pretty generic Chamber-friendly Republican. He was a state/federal attorney before he ran for Congress, but he's filthy rich because he married into the Mays family, which owns Clear Channel Communications (one of the largest radio station networks in the country). He seems mainly interested in foreign policy/defense issues and I think he just generally votes with leadership on everything else because he doesn't care all that much.

It would be interesting because Texas has never had a foreign policy-focused senator that I can recall. They tend to either be domestic policy ideological crusaders (Gramm and Cruz from the Right; Yarborough from the Left), pork farmers (Kay Bailey Hutchison, Lyndon Johnson) or party apparatchiks (Bentsen, Cornyn).
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 12:41:06 AM »

It would be interesting because Texas has never had a foreign policy-focused senator that I can recall. They tend to either be domestic policy ideological crusaders (Gramm and Cruz from the Right; Yarborough from the Left), pork farmers (Kay Bailey Hutchison, Lyndon Johnson) or party apparatchiks (Bentsen, Cornyn).
From what I've heard, wasn't Gramm more of a fiscal policy focused Senator? He was a former economics professor, and was known for the Gramm-Rudman acts. And what about John Tower (the only semi-recent non-appointed Texas Senator you didn't mention). He was foreign policy oriented, having chaired the Senate Armed Services committee, and serving on Bush Sr's Intelligence Advisory Board.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 02:12:48 PM »

Perry's not interested.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies