2008, Part I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:17:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008, Part I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2008, Part I  (Read 8012 times)
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 11:55:52 PM »

Bayh's only shot at winning the nomination is to win Iowa, otherwise he'll end up like Gephardt, or even worse, Lieberman.
He didn't get on the Iowa ballot. He's focusing more on New Hampshire. Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 11:57:14 PM »

With the Iowa Caucas approaching, at any given moment, there was a presidential candidate in a part of Iowa. John Kerry spent his time rallying volunteers in Des Moines. He stood to gain the most from Feingold's comment. But this is Iowa, a state known to vote unexpected for candidates, with John Kerry being one of them in 2004. Joe Biden began running negative attack ads against John Kerry and Feingold. Towards the end of the week, with just three days until the Iowa Caucus, the last Gallup poll was released:

Who do you support for the Democratic Nomination for President of the United States?
John Kerry- 26%
Joe Biden- 24%
Mark Warner- 18%
Dennis Kucinich- 17%
John Edwards- 10%
Russ Feingold- 5%

What is your opinion of the following candidates?
Joe Biden
Positive- 31%
Negative- 43%
No Opinion- 26%

John Kerry
Positive- 48%
Negative- 50%
No Opinion- 2%

Mark Warner
Positive- 54%
Negative- 40%
No Opinion- 6%

Dennis Kucinich
Positive- 51%
Negative- 49%
No Opinion- 1%

John Edwards
Positive- 53%
Negative- 39%
No Opinion- 8%

Russ Feingold
Positive- 17%
Negative- 74%
No Opinion- 9%

On election day, all of the candidates where campaigning their hardest. Everybody was shocked when the results came in...........
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 12:19:28 AM »

The results:
Mark Warner- 1,026 votes- 26%- 14- delagates
John Kerry- 946 votes- 24%- 14 delagates
Joe Biden- 624 votes- 16%- 8 delegates
Dennis Kucinich- 607 votes- 15%- 8 delagates
John Edwards- 593 votes- 15%- 8 delagates
Russ Feingold- 324 votes- 4%- 5 delagates

Mark Warner celebrates his victory, even though it was a narrow victory.

John Kerry celebrates his the same, even though he lost.

Joe Biden didn't hide his disapointment. Immediately after the results came in, he fired his campaign manager and pollster. This shake-up was viewed by many pundits to be a sign of things to come for Biden, others thought it showed how his campaign was on its last leg.

Dennis Kucinich was extremely pleased with the results. He offered to personally meet all of his voters after the New Hampshire primary.

John Edwards admitted his disapointment, but vowed to continue his campaign, citing the looming South Carolina primary and the Oklahoma primary as chances to catch up.

Russ Feingold gave a speech to his few supporters, also vowing to continue. Many of his supporters began drifting towards the Edwards and Kucinich campaign....... But during his speech, most journalists noted that he appeared to be holding out tears through out his speech, and that his eyes were red.....
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 12:22:28 AM »

alright! my two favorite 2008 candidates scoring top numbers! looking good  Casey!
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 12:23:50 AM »

alright! my two favorite 2008 candidates scoring top numbers! looking good  Casey!
Thanks! Grin Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 12:46:37 AM »

Soon after the Iowa Caucus, most of the Democrats began focusing their efforts on New Hampshire. The polls there have shown numerous candidates in the lead throughout the campaign, so nobody has really known who is really in the lead.

Hillary Clinton skipped the Iowa Caucus to focus on New Hampshire, and it seemed to have payed off in 2007. But her lead  of one percent with 17% vack in October of 2007 has only increased by two percent to 20%.

Feingold has been feeling the devastation from his remarks in D.C. He doesn't lead in a single state, and is losing his home state of Wisconsin to Wes Clark.

Warner has been riding his momentum wave to its peak in New Hampshire, as has Kerry.

Bayh has been campaigning heavily through out the state. This has worked, increasing his poll numbers from around 8% to around 26%, placing him in third.

Kucinich has also campaigned heavily in New Hampshire. But he has tried to make himself appear more moderate, showing pictures of him shaking hands with President George Bush, but also pictures of him shaking hands with Former President Carter (who has yet to endorse anybody) and DNC Chairman Howard Dean.

Edwards has spent very little time in New Hampshire, instead focusing on South Carolina and Oklahoma.

Wes Clark has virtually gone off the radar, campaigning in states such as Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Tennessee, which have their primaries later in February.

Biden's campaign has also used his momentum to his advantage. He has enjoyed support in New Hampshire, but is still unlikely to win it.

There is also a small write-in campaign run by Warren Beatty.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 05:49:21 PM »

Any Republican would... thankfully it'd never happen.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 06:11:26 PM »

Any Republican would... thankfully it'd never happen.
You don't know how it ends. SO SHUT UP AND LISTEN!!!! Wink Smiley Grin
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 06:39:37 PM »

On January 25th, the last poll by Gallup was released for New Hampshire:
Who do you support for the presidential nomination of the Democratic party?[/u]
Evan Bayh- 39%
Mark Warner- 31%
Hillary Clinton- 21%
John Kerry- 13%
Dennis Kucinich- 4%
Clark- 1%
Edwards- 1%

This showed a surge for Bayh, who had gone up from 8% to 39%, while Warner shot up 15%. Kerry rose two percent, but that was no where near his percentages in 2007 where he had as much as 36% of the vote. Kerry canceled a planned rally in Noshua in order to do some campainging in Tuscon, Arizona.

The next day, the day before the primary, Edwards announced that he would focus on South Carolina and Oklahoma instead, and Clark announced he do the same, although he would focus on North Dakota instead, a Warner strong hold. Biden, who had been off the radar for months campaigning in larger states such as New York, California, and Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania had just moved their primary to February 12th).

Things did not look good for Feingold, and he said that if he not get at least 15% of the vote in Missouri, he would "reconsider his options" for his campaign.

Hillary had a lot on the line in New Hampshire, but on the day before New Hampshire, she made a surprise campaign stop in Detroit, Michigan. That same day, she began running millions of dollars worth of ads there.

Brian Schweitzer announced that day that he was still running for president as a favorite son candidate, but was also going to run for a second term.

Dennis Kucinich made a surprise visit to Manchester, despite saying that he was going to take a break at his home in Cincinatti. "I'd rather be with my supporters than with my dogs!" he announced to a cheering crowd.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 07:06:55 PM »

On the day of the primary, Former President Jimmy Carter had an announcement to make. He had finally decided who to endorse:

"Good Evening,
  I am here to annouce who I will endorse. I am proud to announce that I am endorsing Senator Joe Biden of Delaware. I am doing so because I am compelled to believe that he is the best option for our nation at this time. I hope my endorsement will help him with his campaign.
Thank-You,
and good night".

The media's reaction was predictable. They began comparing Biden to Howard Dean, who had been endorsed by Carter, and lost shortly after. But Biden has the luck of his home state's primary coming up.

Almost all of the candidates expressed disapointment with Carter's decsion, and said they wished they had recieved his endorsement.

Meanwhile, the results came in....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »

Yes?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »