what is the appeal of Donald Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:11:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  what is the appeal of Donald Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: what is the appeal of Donald Trump?  (Read 1656 times)
elcorazon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2016, 04:33:19 PM »

honestly, I NEVER liked the guy. NEVER watched his bullcrap reality tv shows and never understood why anybody liked anything the guy ever did. He's always been a fraud. Why do any people like the guy? I don't get it.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »

He appeals to white people who are afraid of the changing demographics and economy outlook of the country.(ex. Santander).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »

I liked his show mostly because they managed to find a dozen people more annoying than Trump and you could watch him yell at them and (as a 12-year-old) maybe learn something about business.

After that... not much. I imagine people don't actually like anything about him personally, just that he annoys the right people. My friend who is a Stein supporter says he doesn't mind Trump because he thinks the Romney/Ryan wing of the Republican Party is basically the source of all evil over the last 30 years and he likes to watch them squirm when Trump is their standard bearer.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »

Nationalism, mixed with false hope for the have-nots. Here is one take from a source close to the epicenter of "Trump country":

http://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2015/08/07/whats-the-secret-to-donald-trumps-appeal-nationalism/
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:50:30 PM »

He has some kind of appeal to stupid people.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »

The OP must be really dense. Same with Adam T.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »

Because everyone is legally required to worship random rich guys.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 05:00:28 PM »

At what point is that no longer a fact in his favor?  Is Hillary so bad that Trump can say whatever he wants and keep your support?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »

I think TNVolunteer kinda just doesn't like women.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »

Because everyone is legally required to worship random rich guys.

Haven't you heard?  Donald Trump is a candidate for the common man or something.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »

Why like what doesn't like you?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »

He indulges people in their irrational anger and fear. He gives them a way to give "the establishment" the middle finger.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »

The OP must be really dense. Same with Adam T.

You're the idiot Trump supporter, not me.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »

Haven't you heard?  Donald Trump is a candidate for the common man or something.

I was never fooled by him, and most other working-class people around here aren't fooled by him either. He is a fraud.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »

Trump won me over by crushing Jeb's balls on a national stage. Hilarious and long overdue for the Bush family.

All the other republicans except Rand Paul (shame he had no chance) were unappealing to me as well, and none of the Democrats. So, I've stayed for the fun, mostly because so many establishment Republicans and Democrats hate Trump.

Hillary is also the most distasteful candidate I can imagine after Jeb.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 05:16:15 PM »

Lol, it's going to be a rough November for you, isn't it? Cheesy
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »

His initial appeal to ME was his politically incorrect, outsider, tough guy style.  It was fresh, and reminded me of my favorite president, Harry S. Truman.  But all of that got old fast as soon as he exposed himself as just another know-nothing RINO whose spoiled-rich-guy attitude has him convinced that he can get away with saying or doing anything.  Now he's just an embarrassment, and I'd rather be on the right side of history and vote for Hillary than to waste my vote on some buffoon whose biggest supporters are White guys who never went to college.  Fortunately, more and more of his supporters are jumping off the bandwagon.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »

You go drive around in West Virginia
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 06:51:04 PM »

Lol, it's going to be a rough November for you, isn't it? Cheesy

Yeah, I'm not particularly happy about a President Hillary Clinton at all, but I'll have a few beers and take solace in the fact that Trump's decisive loss will discredit his racist, xenophobic and authoritarian campaign.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »

Its quite simple.

Donald Trump is the poor man's idea of a rich man. I do not mean that disparagingly, but quite literally.

His brand IS the escapist fantasy of what it would be like to be rich for many. Private planes. Big houses. And most importantly, not having to take it from anyone.  The aesthetic of the true "alpha male." Modern life has been quite emasculating. Jobs for making things with their hands are gone. Young men are increasingly dropping out of the labor force and the bread winner tipping point is coming.

And regardless of what you think, an increase of sensitivity runs against a basic grain of the traditional concept of masculinity. But what is worse, many a man feels cowed by society into giving up what is viewed as masculine - and they simply lack the financial power to fight back. You cant offend or you might lose your job etc.

This escapist billionaire fantasy has always been Trump's brand. His book "How to think like a Billionaire" is all stories of him kicking butt, and doing what he wants to do. The Apprentice is about being a "shark." And the only episode I ever saw had Trump Jr. ripping a part some middle aged guy who tried to cover for someone else's mistake.

His campaign has been this escapist fantasy in spades. People are anxious - and Trump got to say the things that many wish they could, and got away with it.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:42 PM »

Its quite simple.

Donald Trump is the poor man's idea of a rich man. I do not mean that disparagingly, but quite literally.

His brand IS the escapist fantasy of what it would be like to be rich for many. Private planes. Big houses. And most importantly, not having to take it from anyone.  The aesthetic of the true "alpha male." Modern life has been quite emasculating. Jobs for making things with their hands are gone. Young men are increasingly dropping out of the labor force and the bread winner tipping point is coming.

And regardless of what you think, an increase of sensitivity runs against a basic grain of the traditional concept of masculinity. But what is worse, many a man feels cowed by society into giving up what is viewed as masculine - and they simply lack the financial power to fight back. You cant offend or you might lose your job etc.

This escapist billionaire fantasy has always been Trump's brand. His book "How to think like a Billionaire" is all stories of him kicking butt, and doing what he wants to do. The Apprentice is about being a "shark." And the only episode I ever saw had Trump Jr. ripping a part some middle aged guy who tried to cover for someone else's mistake.

His campaign has been this escapist fantasy in spades. People are anxious - and Trump got to say the things that many wish they could, and got away with it.

Good insight! It's sad that so many people feel so powerless. But if they are not willing to change then fantasies are all they're gonna have to go on.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2016, 08:47:31 PM by ProudModerate2 »

The only appeal to many of the people that are supporting him is the "(R)" after his name.
And that's all folks.
All the other bulls**t that trump does, can then somehow be justified by creating an excuse, then denial, then more excuses.

PS: No offence to some of the Republicans on this site, who can see beyond the "R." Glad you guys/gals have some morals/ethics, to vote what's good for America and not just The Party.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 08:54:04 PM »

Ouch !
Why do you say that ?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »

He's an outspoken successful developer who will restore funding to America's infrastructure by any means necessary. Everything he says is off the charts funny. What's not to like? I still don't get it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »

The only appeal to many of the people that are supporting him is the "(R)" after his name.
And that's all folks.
All the other bulls**t that trump does, can then somehow be justified by creating an excuse, then denial, then more excuses.

PS: No offence to some of the Republicans on this site, who can see beyond the "R." Glad you guys/gals have some morals/ethics, to vote what's good for America and not just The Party.

Voting for Donald Trump is not good for the party, though...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies