Inside Hillary Clinton's Plan to Recruit Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Inside Hillary Clinton's Plan to Recruit Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inside Hillary Clinton's Plan to Recruit Republicans  (Read 1034 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:21:02 PM »

In days of yore we had 'Reagan Democrats'.  Now we have 'Clinton Republicans':

Inside Clinton's GOP recruitment plan:
The campaign is beginning to reap the rewards of a behind-the-scenes operation that was months in the making.

By Annie Karni
08/09/16 07:51 PM EDT

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/hillary-clinton-recruiting-republicans-226843#ixzz4GtbcII8b

ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:02 PM »

So, are we to expect some good news tomorrow?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:27 PM »

Who's the unifier again?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »

The one who brought millions of Democrats and Independents to vote in the GOP primaries.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »

The one who brought millions of Democrats and Independents to vote in the GOP primaries.

Trump got 14 million votes. I highly doubt 7% of them were Democrats. Not even you voted for him!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »

Donald Trump of course! He is unifying America against himself!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:29:20 PM »

So, are we to expect some good news tomorrow?
Yeah, I can't really tell whether this article is meant to intrigue me about an important announcement or is just something that will fizzle to nothing of note. Too vague to tell what's to come of it.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:33:59 PM »

Asserting something doesn't make it true.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 12:45:07 AM »

Trump did bring in people who wouldn't have otherwise voted in the primaries, but he wasn't the only one:

And on the other side

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 01:07:16 AM »

Trump did bring in people who wouldn't have otherwise voted in the primaries, but he wasn't the only one:

I like Cruz, but let's not even pretend that he expanded the tent. Kasich in some states, maybe.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 01:10:23 AM »

I like Cruz, but let's not even pretend that he expanded the tent. Kasich in some states, maybe.

Kasich got me to vote in the GOP primary for the first time ever. Smiley
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 07:04:53 AM »

Cruz did expand primary turnout with republicans with his effective voter turnout operation. One example is when he managed to win the Iowa Caucuses with the greatest turnout ever when everybody thought if over 100,000 people vote, trump will win.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 07:12:33 AM »

Yeah, factually...it has already been determined that Trump "bringing millions of people into the party" was merely a conversion of general election-only GOP voters into primary voters. A party's health and growth are solely determined - if you're being realistic - by who and how many people vote for it in general elections. Therefore, Trump literally did nothing to grow the party. He's no Obama, and that's why there is no impending wave of first-time voters that aren't being picked up in polling.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 08:12:03 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2016, 01:25:28 PM by ClintonianCake »

Really wish she wouldn't do this. Push for Republican voters, yes; directly seek support from their elected officials and propagandists, no. The entire party must be opposed: no elected Republican (or fundraiser that still supports non-Trumpist elected Republicans) should be welcomed aboard.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »

Really wish she wouldn't do this. Push for Republican voters, yes; directly seek support from their elected officials and propagandists, no. The entire party must be opposedopposeno elected Republican (or fundraiser that still supports non-Trumpist elected Republicans) should be welcomed aboard.

This.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »

It's official now:

Clinton Camp Formally Launches Republicans for Hillary Effort

By LIZ KREUTZ
WESTCHESTER, N.Y. — Aug 10, 2016, 9:49 AM ET

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 09:51:04 PM »

Let's compare Republicans for Hillary with Democrats for Nixon:

One of the largest groups of folks that made up these groups were staffers from the previous Administration that was repudiated by the current candidate "bolting" to support the other party's candidate.  There are huge numbers of Bush Administration officials who are backing Clinton, and there were huge numbers of LBJ Administration officials who became Democrats for Nixon.  This is what's similar.  There are also a goodly number of elected Republicans, long out of office, that aren't supporting Trump, just as there were lots of Democrats, after retiring or being defeated, that became Democrats for Nixon.

What's different is the nature of the currently elected Republicans who are either endorsing Clinton (few) or not backing Trump (quite a bit more).  The Democrats who bolted in 1972 were folks who found McGovern too liberal, for the most part.  The Republicans who are bolting now seem to be a mixed bag.  Some are very conservative (Ben Sasse), but Sasse doesn't explain Susan Collins, a moderate Republican, and the closest thing to a progressive Republican still in office.  I will say that no candidate with the level of bolting that Trump is experiencing has done well in the general election, but this is an election like no other in my lifetime.

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 06:50:08 AM »

I love the double standard again. Before this, she was thought to be so polarizing and hated by every Republican, then she reaches out and Republicans actually do endorse her and it's met with disdain and disapproval from the very people who believe she is a polarizing wench. So, which is it, haters?

This is how you win elections, people. You want her to just keep throwing red meat to the base like Trump is doing? That's not exactly going so well for him, so I applaud this strategy and I welcome any and all Republicans who are going PUMA and joining the campaign.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 07:19:25 AM by ClintonianCake »

I love the double standard again. Before this, she was thought to be so polarizing and hated by every Republican, then she reaches out and Republicans actually do endorse her and it's met with disdain and disapproval from the very people who believe she is a polarizing wench. So, which is it, haters?

This is how you win elections, people. You want her to just keep throwing red meat to the base like Trump is doing? That's not exactly going so well for him, so I applaud this strategy and I welcome any and all Republicans who are going PUMA and joining the campaign.

I'm not a Clinton basher. I even switched to supporting her on the primaries because I found Sanders a bit too stupid and poorly informed. But bringing people on board who are going to still support down ballot Republicans is a waste of time. That will just lead to four more years of GOP congressional control and foot-dragging.

She needs (and has the ability) to get respect from republicans and convert them. Pushing support from literal Bush administration apparatchiks is a waste of time, and probably could backfire.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 09:09:26 AM »

I was a Republican for much of my life, and then changed to independent, but have still voted Republican.

I've never voted for a Democrat for president.

In 2012, I voted for the Libertarian ticket.

In 2016, I'm voting for Hillary Clinton, as any sane American would, given her main opposition.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »

I'm not a Clinton basher. I even switched to supporting her on the primaries because I found Sanders a bit too stupid and poorly informed. But bringing people on board who are going to still support down ballot Republicans is a waste of time. That will just lead to four more years of GOP congressional control and foot-dragging.

She needs (and has the ability) to get respect from republicans and convert them. Pushing support from literal Bush administration apparatchiks is a waste of time, and probably could backfire.
There's no way it'll backfire unless someone like Cheney or Rove endorsed her. These officials will either have no net effect or very little. Still, having support from senior Republicans can help mainline Republicans make up their minds.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 03:17:40 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 03:19:21 PM by Rafe »

...and still got 3,000,000 less votes than Hillary Clinton.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies