Is the U.S. ready for the first woman president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:19:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Is the U.S. ready for the first woman president?  (Read 1613 times)
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »

The two women who were picked for VP had extremely limited experience and limited political skills.  Both were unprepared.  Both were selected because a losing Presidential nominee wanted to shake the race up.  Both were done in politics after their VP runs; Palin quit as Governor and Ferraro failed in her bid for a Senate seat. 

America has long been ready for a female President.  The most qualified females have, however, chosen not to run, so the significant honor of being the first Female POTUS may well go to one of the most amoral, self-serving, vain, lying individuals that ever served in high public office.  As much as I hate the neocons, I'd vote for Condi Rice over Hillary and not think twice.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »

one of the most amoral, self-serving, vain, lying individuals

But enough about Trump.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 08:10:09 PM »

one of the most amoral, self-serving, vain, lying individuals

But enough about Trump.

Hillary tops Trump on all of these qualities, and that's really saying something.  I'm not confused about what Trump is about, but Hillary's supporters have become OK with lying under oath over time, and that's something to thing about.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »

The Republican Party and U.S. conservatives clearly are NOT READY as no woman has come anywhere close to making a credible run in their presidential primary.  But I think the country as a whole is ready and has been for about a decade now, it just took some time for the stars to align correctly.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »

The Republican Party and U.S. conservatives clearly are NOT READY as no woman has come anywhere close to making a credible run in their presidential primary.  But I think the country as a whole is ready and has been for about a decade now, it just took some time for the stars to align correctly.

The GOP has long been ready for such a thing.  Gender isn't the issue surrounding Hillary Clinton.  Trustworthiness and integrity are. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »

Elizabeth Dole ran for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2000 but ended up withdrawing, lack of funds.

Had she won the nomination and the election, not only would she have become the first female President, but she would have made a fine President as well.

She would have been an excellent first woman President, respected and trusted, not like Hillary Clinton, who is mistrusted by most of the public.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 12:40:18 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 01:46:12 AM by Ogre Mage »

The GOP has long been ready for such a thing.  Gender isn't the issue surrounding Hillary Clinton.  Trustworthiness and integrity are.  

Elizabeth Dole ran for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2000 but ended up withdrawing, lack of funds.

Had she won the nomination and the election, not only would she have become the first female President, but she would have made a fine President as well.

She would have been an excellent first woman President, respected and trusted, not like Hillary Clinton, who is mistrusted by most of the public.

Again, if the Republican Party is so ready for a woman president, why has every woman who has run in the Republican Presidential Primary in the past half-century gone nowhere?

Perhaps that will change now that Hillary Clinton has made history.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 12:43:08 AM »

The only way people earn my trust is by their actions. Words are cheap.

If Hillary gets in office she will then be in the position of being able to earn people's trust by the things she actually does.

I hope by then people will come around to see her in a better light.

I've already read a study that stated people are ready for a female President. And I can't think of any female more prepared than Hillary.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 02:39:34 AM »

Yes I'm ready for Condi Rice as president. 

A libertarian wants one of the achitects of George W. Bush's foreign policy to be president...?
Trapsy

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 03:53:48 AM »

BEEN ready. Despite what everyone thinks I think Hillary will be an effective president.
DS0816
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 04:44:37 AM »

Every time a woman was on the ticket as the V.P. pick the candidates were defeated. Can Hillary break this streak?

Do you think the United States will ever be ready for the first black president of the United States?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 04:48:37 AM »

Depends what you mean by "ready".
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 06:14:27 AM »

Ofcourse. The UK was ready for a female PM in 1979. I know the US is a lot more conservative than the UK, but polls show like 95% of the country would vote for a female president, and the socons who say they wouldn't vote for a woman will fall in line once the dems nominate a pro-choice candidate and the female republican is the only pro-lifer with a chance to win. Clinton would have won in 2008, Dole could have won in 2000 if she was the nominee, and had someone like Haley been the nominee in 2016 (not Fiorina, she would have lost in a landslide) Haley probably would have been the first female president. Even Poland elected a female PM, and she was part of a socially conservative party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 07:24:11 AM »

I think this is on a similar lines of the "would republicans really vote for a Mormon" question. I.e. yes, push comes to shove even if begrudgingly.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »

The US is ready for a woman president that's not Hillary Clinton. Condi Rice would make a better option.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »

Again, if the Republican Party is so ready for a woman president, why has every woman who has run in the Republican Presidential Primary in the past half-century gone nowhere?

Oh, you mean like Shirley Chisholm in 1972, Elvena Lloyd-Duffie in 1996, Carol Moseley-Braun in 2004.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »

More so than we're ready for any of the following:

•First president to go bankrupt 4 times
•First orange president
•First president to issue a veiled death threat against his major-party opposition
•First non-conservative Republican president in at least 36 years
•First openly racist president in decades
•First president to openly advocate discrimination based on religion
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »

The GOP has long been ready for such a thing.  Gender isn't the issue surrounding Hillary Clinton.  Trustworthiness and integrity are.  

Perhaps that will change now that Hillary Clinton has made history.
Dole had to contend with W, who wasn't going to be beaten by anyone in his primary. Carly Fiorina was a total fraud. Just a mixture of bad luck and a dearth of qualified candidates.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »

Every time a woman was on the ticket as the V.P. pick the candidates were defeated. Can Hillary break this streak?

Sample size of n=2.  The chances of your "analysis" being statistically significant are 0%.

Also you are implying that either of the males heading the top of the ticket could have won if they had a male vice president.  We all know that is not true.  Those guys lost but not because of vagina.  Don't be ridiculous.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 12:53:09 PM »

We've been ready since the 80's or so.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 01:09:56 PM by angus »

I think it is ready and has been ready for some time, not unlike France.  Also, not unlike France, the only women to offer themselves have been unfortunate and dreadful choices.  

Neither your country nor mine really have deep, societal qualms with women in leadership roles, despite what the talking heads liked to spew in their analyses after Clinton lost the nomination to Obama in 2008 and after Royal lost the French presidential election of 2007.  Polls suggest that a majority of the US public has been "ready" for a woman president since the mid-50s (monotonic increase from about 33% yes in 1937 to about 92% today, crossing over the 50% in around 1955.)  A similar trend is evident in France, with the "yes" voters in the majority in opinion surveys there since about 1968.  Moreover, Wyoming and Texas were the first two states to elect female governors, and both did so in the year 1924.  Over the past 92 years, 22 other states have elected one or more female governors.  Thus, nearly half of the states have had female governors.

The next president of the United States will likely be a female; hopefully her presidency will not be so marked by corruption and incompetence that it will put the voters off all women candidates, many of whom would become effective managers of the state.  I do think that most voters will not hold Clinton's presidency against all women, should her leadership prove faltering or deceitful, although only time will tell.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »

Massachusetts never elected a female Senator before Elizabeth Warren.  Why was Massachusetts not ready for a female Senator until 2012?!

The real answer is we have been ready since the 80's.  Not electing one =/ not ready.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »

Polls suggest that a majority of the US public has been "ready" for a woman president since the mid-50s (monotonic increase from about 33% yes in 1937 to about 92% today, crossing over the 50% in around 1955.)

A fine example of why pollsters and statisticians have a bad name.  No one in their right mind thinks Americans in the 1950s was "ready" for a woman president.  I personally know a woman who was in the first class admitted to an Ivy League school.  She is not some old retiree.  Just because people aren't constantly marching with banners all over the place doesn't mean they haven't faced massive discrimination.  I kind of get tired of protests but then I read stuff like this and remember why people have to kick and scream to prevent history from being white washed.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »

Yes I'm ready for Condi Rice as president. 

A libertarian wants one of the achitects of George W. Bush's foreign policy to be president...?

My somewhat sarcastic point was that I'd take Condi over Hillary any day of the week.
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2016, 04:30:21 PM »

Of course. The UK was ready for a female PM in 1979. I know the US is a lot more conservative than the UK, but polls show like 95% of the country would vote for a female president, and the socons who say they wouldn't vote for a woman will fall in line once the dems nominate a pro-choice candidate and the female republican is the only pro-lifer with a chance to win. Clinton would have won in 2008, Dole could have won in 2000 if she was the nominee, and had someone like Haley been the nominee in 2016 (not Fiorina, she would have lost in a landslide) Haley probably would have been the first female president. Even Poland elected a female PM, and she was part of a socially conservative party.
It was not so much being ready as that in 1979, for the first time, the choices for Prime Minister of the UK included a woman. Either Margaret Thatcher and her party won the election or Jim Callaghan of the Labour Party would continue in office. The 1974-79 era of Labour government had been a problem period for the economy, so the electorate decided it was time for a change rather than keep tight hold of Sunny Jim for fear of finding something worse.  I do not recall that Thatcher being a woman made much difference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies