Is the U.S. ready for the first woman president? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:35:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is the U.S. ready for the first woman president? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the U.S. ready for the first woman president?  (Read 1689 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »

Every time a woman was on the ticket as the V.P. pick the candidates were defeated. Can Hillary break this streak?

Sample size of n=2.  The chances of your "analysis" being statistically significant are 0%.

Also you are implying that either of the males heading the top of the ticket could have won if they had a male vice president.  We all know that is not true.  Those guys lost but not because of vagina.  Don't be ridiculous.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »

Polls suggest that a majority of the US public has been "ready" for a woman president since the mid-50s (monotonic increase from about 33% yes in 1937 to about 92% today, crossing over the 50% in around 1955.)

A fine example of why pollsters and statisticians have a bad name.  No one in their right mind thinks Americans in the 1950s was "ready" for a woman president.  I personally know a woman who was in the first class admitted to an Ivy League school.  She is not some old retiree.  Just because people aren't constantly marching with banners all over the place doesn't mean they haven't faced massive discrimination.  I kind of get tired of protests but then I read stuff like this and remember why people have to kick and scream to prevent history from being white washed.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:21:43 PM »

I personally know a woman who was in the first class admitted to an Ivy League school. 

Harvard didn't admit Catholics or Jews till the very early 20th Century, but you won't find that on their website.  Women were admitted even, in 1920.

You are quoting the most generous of generous characterizations of Harvard's less than stellar track record concerning women.  It is true that Ivy League schools did admit some women to graduate programs earlier but they strictly prohibited undergraduate female enrollment until shockingly recently.  And yes there were Ivy League schools that banned undergraduate women in the 50s and much of the 60s.  I don't think Harvard went full coed until the 70s.  Officially I think it was 1977.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies