Do you root against Russia in every Olympic event?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:53:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you root against Russia in every Olympic event?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you root against Russia in every Olympic event?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Do you root against Russia in every Olympic event?  (Read 3009 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »

I'm sure that I know something more about that matter than you.

Well I guess Nauru put up a few weightlifters for Commonwealth and Olympics so maybe you're right.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who has claimed this? I don't believe I did. I think my argument may even have been closer to the opposite...

Are you an American or do you just believe that Russian athletes are the embodiment of absolute evil? Otherwise I can't understand why you started to froth from the mouth for saying something that's common knowledge.

P.S. I should add the Belgians as equally insufferable in their self-righteousness when it comes to doping.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »

No, but I root against UNC in every college sport.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

Are you an American or do you just believe that Russian athletes are the embodiment of absolute evil?

That's an odd thing to write because actually I posted this...

Of course there have been issues with U.S swimming in the past and as such some of the rhetoric is ugly and hypocritical

...so no I don't think that Russian athletes are the embodiment of absolute evil, that all U.S. athletes are clean or whatever. That would be absurd. Swimming has a doping problem, as does athletics. This is problematic, but it does not justify the sort of small-minded mentality that insists that they're all a bunch of cheats anyway and which often seems to be rooted in rather ugly patterns of thought.

I suppose that It Stands To Reason as well?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »

Are you an American or do you just believe that Russian athletes are the embodiment of absolute evil?

That's an odd thing to write because actually I posted this...

Of course there have been issues with U.S swimming in the past and as such some of the rhetoric is ugly and hypocritical

...so no I don't think that Russian athletes are the embodiment of absolute evil, that all U.S. athletes are clean or whatever. That would be absurd. Swimming has a doping problem, as does athletics. This is problematic, but it does not justify the sort of small-minded mentality that insists that they're all a bunch of cheats anyway and which often seems to be rooted in rather ugly patterns of thought.

I suppose that It Stands To Reason as well?

Well, I hate to break your rose-colored bubble but that's the ugly truth. Everybody takes drugs. To ignore it and believe that some of our sports heroes are squeaky clean and triumph through sheer talent over their dastardly cheating opponents, that's a fairy tale.
Cynical? Maybe. But I prefer that to the tsk-tsking of the Very Serious People everytime some poor schmuck gets caught.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2016, 12:44:09 PM by Justice TJ »

Well I mean that's mostly training isn't it? Hard work over an extended period of time to reach absurd levels of physical fitness. I understand that this is an alien concept to you given your girth, but it is a real thing, honest. And Phelps, of course, is a physical freak and therein lies the root of his talent.

Of course there have been issues with U.S swimming in the past and as such some of the rhetoric is ugly and hypocritical, but so is yours.

I agree with your point, but couldn't you possibly make it without resorting to personal attacks on someone's looks?

I really don't see why those are more acceptable than other forms of bigotry.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies