For women only: Would you vote for Trump or a practicing Muslim?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:19:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  For women only: Would you vote for Trump or a practicing Muslim?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: For women only: Would you vote for Trump or a practicing Muslim?  (Read 1571 times)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »

Are you saying that the men here support misogyny and homophobia and do not care that Christianity and Islam also support those evils?

Regards
DL

That many. Wow.

I would expect more creative writing then but I have yet to see it.

Regards
DL

Well considering that 40-50% of the men here are gay, I doubt that.

Well isn't that a little homophobic? Maybe a tiny, tiny bit?

Is giving a compliment to gays a sign of homophobia?

I think the opposite to be true.

Regards
DL

Positive stereotypes are still stereotypes. Saying that "Since you're a Jew, you must be rich" is stil offensive regardless of your intentions.

Regards
LLR
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

I mean, women have been marrying Christians for 2000 years. Hard to find a more horrible religion than that one.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »

Mods please ban this idiot
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »

those gays, always trying to get you to read their experimental short stories
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »

This thread needs to be burned to the ground.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »

Are you saying that the men here support misogyny and homophobia and do not care that Christianity and Islam also support those evils?

Regards
DL

That many. Wow.

I would expect more creative writing then but I have yet to see it.

Regards
DL

Well considering that 40-50% of the men here are gay, I doubt that.

Well isn't that a little homophobic? Maybe a tiny, tiny bit?

Is giving a compliment to gays a sign of homophobia?

I think the opposite to be true.

Regards
DL

Positive stereotypes are still stereotypes. Saying that "Since you're a Jew, you must be rich" is stil offensive regardless of your intentions.

Regards
LLR

It is a stereotype. But -phobia implies fear.  So, unless you have a fear of creative writing...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »

Not a woman, but I would think it depends on the extent of what "practicing" means. I would be very scared of voting for someone who follows the Quran 100% of the time (for woman-related and non-woman-related reasons), but there's nothing wrong with praying five times a day and such.

Are you aware of this quote and what do you think of it as it applies to what you wrote?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Regards
DL

They're doing it because they see value in following the rules of a religion. Considering that that particular rule is harmless, I don't see a problem with it.

Also Einstein didn't say that, and that's a stupid quote anyway.

@shua, taking the term "homophobia" literally got old, like, twenty years ago.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »

Not a woman, but I would think it depends on the extent of what "practicing" means. I would be very scared of voting for someone who follows the Quran 100% of the time (for woman-related and non-woman-related reasons), but there's nothing wrong with praying five times a day and such.

Are you aware of this quote and what do you think of it as it applies to what you wrote?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Regards
DL

They're doing it because they see value in following the rules of a religion. Considering that that particular rule is harmless, I don't see a problem with it.

Words having meanings rather than just being thrown around for purposes of identity politics got old a long time ago, I realize this.   I am trying to salvage some vestige of civilization here, though I realize it may be a lost cause.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »

Regards
DL

Words having meanings rather than just being thrown around for purposes of identity politics got old a long time ago, I realize this.   I am trying to salvage some vestige of civilization here, though I realize it may be a lost cause.

Language changes. Get used to it. Homophobia means bigotry against gay people. The only reason you care about this and not the countless other words that don't mean exactly what their etymology says they should is because your entire purpose on this forum is being "that guy" in LGBT-related discussions.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »

TBH, I also find the use of "phobia" in terms like "homophobia" and "Islamophobia" to be kind of dumb.  It doesn't really match what the suffix usually means.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »

TBH, I also find the use of "phobia" in terms like "homophobia" and "Islamophobia" to be kind of dumb.  It doesn't really match what the suffix usually means.

Sure, but it matches what everyone knows the word "homophobia" means.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2016, 09:33:29 PM »

Regards
DL

Language changes. Get used to it. Homophobia means bigotry against gay people. The only reason you care about this and not the countless other words that don't mean exactly what their etymology says they should is because your entire purpose on this forum is being "that guy" in LGBT-related discussions.

I have no idea who you are and you clearly have not a clue who I am either, so how about dropping the sorry attempts at ad hominems? 

But it is clear that like so many others, the only reason you use words like "homophobia" to describe things completely unrelated to phobias is because you wanted to score a cheap point against someone you don't like by giving them a pseudo-clinical label instead of discussing ideas on the merits.   I'm not going to get used to that sort of thing.  I'm not going to just roll over so that the self-righteous can throw around big words thoughtlessly in order to make a mockery out of the ability to actually discuss things.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »

Regards
DL

I have no idea who you are and you clearly have not a clue who I am either, so how about dropping the sorry attempts at ad hominems? 

But it is clear that like so many others, the only reason you use words like "homophobia" to describe things completely unrelated to phobias is because you wanted to score a cheap point against someone you don't like by giving them a pseudo-clinical label instead of discussing ideas on the merits.   I'm not going to get used to that sort of thing.  I'm not going to just roll over so that the self-righteous can throw around big words thoughtlessly in order to make a mockery out of the ability to actually discuss things.

I didn't invent the word homophobia. Stop acting like I invented it specifically to insult you. If you have an issue with it, take it up with George Weinberg, the person who coined it.

The only posts I've seen of yours on this forum have been defending homophobes and transphobes from criticism. I'm not sure if you're actually one of them or if you're just playing devil's advocate, but there's clearly a pattern here.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies