If you faced being drafted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:51:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you faced being drafted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you faced being drafted  (Read 2549 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »

9 months of national civil service in a nursing home

good god, that is deeply depressing.  As bad as being ordered to sneak around, blow stuff up, and kill people sounds to me, your sentence sounds worse.  

I remember having to do the selective service registration within a month or so of my 18th birthday, which was in 1985.  (As far as I know, that is still required.)  I wasn't a big fan of it then, but I complied because I wanted to enjoy certain rights and privileges that were advertised as contingent upon selective service registration.  I do remember not being sure what I'd do if a war actually came and I was actually conscripted by the military.  There was no war for my generation so it never came up.  If I were born 20 years later or 20 years earlier than I was, I'm sure I'd have a much stronger opinion of the selective service and of conscription.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 05:43:49 PM by angus »

Most government jobs require you to be registered.

Indeed, as well as the free money for university, which still exists although they're tighter now.  My brother, who died at the relatively young age of 52 about 11 months ago, was an absolute objector and he never registered for selective service either.  He was the only person I knew well who bragged about not being registered, although I suspect such attitudes are more common nowadays.  He and I discussed that many times when we were younger.  "I don't give a flying fuck whether I can get free government money.  It's not their money anyway--it's ours--and I don't see why I should have to promise to kill people or defend bad policy just to get a bit of it back."  He was the prototypical libertarian.  Owned many guns, liked to hunt and camp, stayed high, used whatever drugs were available to him, and showed great hostility toward US government policy generally, both domestic and foreign.  He also never voted, which I assume is a very libertarian tendency and probably explains why they can't break double digits, even when the main choices are Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies