If you faced being drafted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:08:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you faced being drafted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you faced being drafted  (Read 2562 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »

Try to dodge it by exploiting any loophole I can find. If that doesn't work, flee the country. (coward, normal)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 01:46:04 PM by I did not see L.A. »

I've been successfully avoiding the draft until it was abolished.

probably dumb question but what country are you from? Can't figure it out from your avatar honestly.

You can't recognize a major European country by its shape?!? Shocked What kind of an Atlas poster are you??

It's Poland.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:00:35 PM »

I've been successfully avoiding the draft until it was abolished.

probably dumb question but what country are you from? Can't figure it out from your avatar honestly.

You can't recognize a major European country by it's shape?!? Shocked What kind of an Atlas poster are you??

Many Americans tend to not be aware of the rest of the world. Even if they like geography, their interest stops at the border.

I know but this is the Atlas Forum, goddamnit!!!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 06:17:42 AM »

I definitely would serve if drafted, no question about it.  Heck, right now, if I have a hard time getting a job after college, I'd probably try to enlist in Officer Candidate School for the Navy or Air Force.  I've never hard any ethical qualms with respect to military service.

I'd probably try to volunteer as an officer. Actually one of the guys in my accounting classes was in the military and became a logistics officer. Apparently they like having CPA's in those roles. It seems like a relatively safe way to spend a war.

Doesn't that basically mean the army discriminates by socio-economic status? People wealthy enough to afford the right kind of studies get the safe desk jobs, while those who can't have to face death and injury daily.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:15:08 AM »

If it was under President Trump I would probably just go to war. Why would I resist the opportunity to fight for my country against those that undermine our freedoms?

"I'll fight for my country and protect our freedoms only if the guy I like is in charge."

Very noble indeed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 12:44:53 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2016, 12:46:40 PM by I did not see L.A. »

If it was under President Trump I would probably just go to war. Why would I resist the opportunity to fight for my country against those that undermine our freedoms?

"I'll fight for my country and protect our freedoms only if the guy I like is in charge."

Very noble indeed.

I surely wouldn't like if a person that doesn't respect the lives of our own citizens was in charge.

Yes, because Drumpf has such a great respect for servicemen and veterans. Roll Eyes

All you're saying here is that you're OK serving your country if it's led by someone from your political camp. That's not patriotism. It's despicable.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 03:58:49 AM »

Good to know I wouldn't have to leave!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »

Why would Aspergers negatively affect someone in the military anyway? It might actually be a positive depending on the role.

Speaking for myself, I know for a fact that I'd be a TERRIBLE fit for the military and would be utterly useless for anything in addition to undergoing a deep personal trauma. That said, I've never really been able to distinguish the aspects of my personality due to Asperger's from those that have nothing to do with it, so I can't tell if that's true for other.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 04:37:34 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2016, 04:39:07 PM by I did not see L.A. »

I am curious what Antonio considers to be aspects of his personality that make him a bad fit for the military.

I only thrive when I'm allowed to live life on my own (very slow) rhythm, following my own routines, and in relative quiet. I can't stand external pressure and strict requirements. I hate having to share my personal space with people I'm not very close with (I've never had a roommate or flatmate). The sort of (quintessentially masculine) camaraderie that develops among conscripts would work terribly for me. I'm very emotionally expressive and needy, so I'd obviously be dismissed and told to "man up". I'd most likely end up as the odd one out who gets bullied as a way to reinforce group cohesion. Also, I've never really exercised in my life (when I do sports it's only for my enjoyment) and I could certainly not stand that amount of physical activity.

Again though, I'm not saying that would be true for all people with Asperger's. We're people like everybody else with our own personalities and preferences, and Asperger's is only a tiny facet of them IMO.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies