Be honest -- How do you feel about the upcoming minority-majority?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:30:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Be honest -- How do you feel about the upcoming minority-majority?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Be honest -- How do you feel about the upcoming minority-majority?  (Read 3479 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2016, 09:00:24 PM »

I just wish that I heard a little more English on the bus.  It's really annoying because I don't know what they're saying, and for some reason, hearing a person yell and scream in a foreign language for ten whole minutes really gets on my nerves.

when someone yells and screams on a bus for 10 minutes in english it really gets on my nerves

Possible solutions:
1. Walk/Ride a bike/Get a cab/Get a car
2. Get headphones or earbuds and something to listen to
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »

Poor people becoming a majority is a bad thing. If non-Whites were becoming a majority in a vacuum, that in itself wouldn't be a problem. The reason they are taking over though is because they are caught in a cycle of being poor and having lots of children. The end result is the United States becoming a third world nation. It's funny to see someone from NYC say that a minority majority hasn't led to economic disaster, I guess just because he lives in a Manhattan bubble. Half the jobs can't afford to pay minimum wage here. Milk is $5 a gallon. Housing is affordable only if you are a millionaire, on government assistance, or have made a conscious decision never to have children and always have roommates. NYC seriously looks like Dubai with a slightly better human rights record.

I guess poor people are responsible for poverty now. Roll Eyes

Partially, yes. Absolutely. Do you deny personal decisions have an impact on someone's economic standing? I'm all for universal healthcare, publicly owned utilities, and more taxes on the rich but even if we did those things, a high school drop out with multiple kids by multiple different women is still going to be the bottom rung of society.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »

I'm genuinely enthusiastic.

Even in its darkest hours, America has always been a shining beacon of cultural pluralism throughout the world, and today it has the opportunity to show for the first time in human history that a multitude of communities can not only live together, but work together for a common purpose. Of course, I don't expect hatred to go away any time soon, but I am confident it won't prevail. And that should be an example for all of us, especially in Europe.

This is a strange sentiment imo. Surely history (and even the contemporary world) has seen its fair share of multiethnic societies, empires and nation-states, stretching back to antiquity?

Poor people becoming a majority is a bad thing. If non-Whites were becoming a majority in a vacuum, that in itself wouldn't be a problem. The reason they are taking over though is because they are caught in a cycle of being poor and having lots of children. The end result is the United States becoming a third world nation. It's funny to see someone from NYC say that a minority majority hasn't led to economic disaster, I guess just because he lives in a Manhattan bubble. Half the jobs can't afford to pay minimum wage here. Milk is $5 a gallon. Housing is affordable only if you are a millionaire, on government assistance, or have made a conscious decision never to have children and always have roommates. NYC seriously looks like Dubai with a slightly better human rights record.

I guess poor people are responsible for poverty now. Roll Eyes

Partially, yes. Absolutely. Do you deny personal decisions have an impact on someone's economic standing? I'm all for universal healthcare, publicly owned utilities, and more taxes on the rich but even if we did those things, a high school drop out with multiple kids by multiple different women is still going to be the bottom rung of society.

Charming as always, Mortimer.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »

I just wish that I heard a little more English on the bus.  It's really annoying because I don't know what they're saying, and for some reason, hearing a person yell and scream in a foreign language for ten whole minutes really gets on my nerves.

People like you are why I do not speak English on the bus.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 07:52:41 PM »

I am happily excited to spite both racists and people who think that Hispanics and Asians will magically become white because the 21st century is exactly the same as the 19th century.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:16 PM »

This is why you deserve the additional TSA screening while literally every single other Muslim American in the country does not.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2016, 08:29:25 PM »

This is why you deserve the additional TSA screening while literally every single other Muslim American in the country does not.

He talks differently! He might be a terrorist!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2016, 09:13:19 PM »

What's actually going to change?  Nothing I can think of.  The average American will be slightly more tan.  We will still have Kardashian spawns to fawn over and their new children, and we will still have our good ole football and apple pie.  All will be well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2016, 04:02:11 AM »

Please tell me this is just a very bad attempt at humor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2016, 04:06:59 AM »

I'm genuinely enthusiastic.

Even in its darkest hours, America has always been a shining beacon of cultural pluralism throughout the world, and today it has the opportunity to show for the first time in human history that a multitude of communities can not only live together, but work together for a common purpose. Of course, I don't expect hatred to go away any time soon, but I am confident it won't prevail. And that should be an example for all of us, especially in Europe.

This is a strange sentiment imo. Surely history (and even the contemporary world) has seen its fair share of multiethnic societies, empires and nation-states, stretching back to antiquity?

I'd say the multiethnic empires of the Antiquity and stretching all the way to the 18th and 19th centuries were a very different thing from modern nation-States. As for more recent multiethnic States (I meant those where no ethnicity has a majority on its own), sadly I got the impression that each of them had a serious issue or another, and I think the US has the potential to avoid these issues.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2016, 05:24:26 AM »

You are what is wrong with America. 
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »

I grinned at your tongue in cheek humor.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »

I just wish that we would stop dividing ourselves by race.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »

About 20 years ago it seemed we were finally headed in that direction. Unfortunately the new Push from "civil rights" campaigners is actually to divide us up further!  I never thought it was a controversial thing to say we should strive for a colorblind society, but recently ive seen that many on the left do not a colorblind society, they just want everyone to be hyperaware of race at all times.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2016, 05:11:51 PM »

About 20 years ago it seemed we were finally headed in that direction. Unfortunately the new Push from "civil rights" campaigners is actually to divide us up further!  I never thought it was a controversial thing to say we should strive for a colorblind society, but recently ive seen that many on the left do not a colorblind society, they just want everyone to be hyperaware of race at all times.

There will be no such thing as a colorblind society, people are to different for that. I just wish we lived in a society that respected people as people, and practiced love more than it strived for perceived equality.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 10:01:09 PM »

I already live in a city that is very racially diverse with Americans of European descent declining and numbers barely making up a majority of the population as it currently stands we're about 54% white 46% non White at the current rate of demographic change in my town we're going to be minority-majority in about 4 years and there really are no problems here you hear Spanish and Haitian French and Arabic and Italian and some African languages you hear a lot of language is in town and it's quite nice
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2016, 10:27:37 AM by Cory »

Are you disagreeing with that assessment?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »

I already live in a city that is very racially diverse with Americans of European descent declining and numbers barely making up a majority of the population as it currently stands we're about 54% white 46% non White at the current rate of demographic change in my town we're going to be minority-majority in about 4 years and there really are no problems here you hear Spanish and Haitian French and Arabic and Italian and some African languages you hear a lot of language is in town and it's quite nice
Except for the readily apparent decline in proper grammar...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2016, 12:32:08 AM »

Except for the readily apparent decline in proper grammar...

Prescriptivism is dumb. Why aren't you speaking Old English?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:30 PM »

Given that most Hispanics are actually white, once they assimilate into the American culture, they will no longer be considered a minority, just like the Irish, Italians, Jews, etc. did.  Now, I'm fine with as many people from all races being here as long as we maintain an American culture.  But, we'll likely never truly be majority-minority.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »

I'm frightened, man. Just frightened. This is screwed up, man. I mean, tornadoes sucks but it's kinda logical, isn't it? This however, man, is frightening.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:05 PM »

I'm frightened, man. Just frightened. This is screwed up, man. I mean, tornadoes sucks but it's kinda logical, isn't it? This however, man, is frightening.
Don't think there's going to be a "minority-majority" in Poland anytime soon...
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »

I really don't care either way.  I am worried that racism might be coming back into the open though among people of all races.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies