Killer Mike: Trump and Clinton "exactly the same"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:26:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Killer Mike: Trump and Clinton "exactly the same"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Killer Mike: Trump and Clinton "exactly the same"  (Read 1525 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »

Literally have no idea who this guy is Tongue
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 03:50:08 PM »

He's a dumbass rapper who was Bernie's token black surrogate during the primaries.  Known for his insightful, socially conscious lyrics like

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He's beloved by the kind of ignorant people who listen to rap music for edgy political views to educate their parents or Facebook friends with.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »

He's a dumbass rapper who was Bernie's token black surrogate during the primaries.  Known for his insightful, socially conscious lyrics like

He's beloved by the kind of ignorant people who listen to rap music for edgy political views to educate their parents or Facebook friends with.

Like most rappers, and most musicians outside of rap for that matter, Killer Mike is a persona. His lyrics are not intended to evoke his viewpoints in a literal sense, particularly when he works with El-P in Run the Jewels, which is intended to be a non-serious side project.

It's almost as if you don't listen to hip-hop and are out of your element!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »

for the record Killer Mike is a great rappper.

Sadly, another great rapper Ice Cube holds basically the same opinion. Pretty sad.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »

He's a dumbass rapper who was Bernie's token black surrogate during the primaries.  Known for his insightful, socially conscious lyrics like

Like most rappers, and most musicians outside of rap for that matter, Killer Mike is a persona. His lyrics are not intended to evoke his viewpoints in a literal sense, particularly when he works with El-P in Run the Jewels, which is intended to be a non-serious side project.

Dude, Run The Jewels gets praised all the time for their political, street-conscious and allegedly social-justice-inspired lyrics.

https://mic.com/articles/105798/16-run-the-jewels-lines-that-captured-what-it-was-like-to-be-alive-in-2014#.tNOwUUCu6 for example
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »

Dude, Run The Jewels gets praised all the time for their political, street-conscious and allegedly social-justice-inspired lyrics.

https://mic.com/articles/105798/16-run-the-jewels-lines-that-captured-what-it-was-like-to-be-alive-in-2014#.tNOwUUCu6 for example

The motivation behind many of RTJ's lyrics is clearly political but the style is an artifact of the conventions of hip-hop. When interviewed by CNN or Fox News, Killer Mike displays a great deal of intelligence and tact that's not present in any of his lyrics, making it pretty clear to non-idiots that his rap persona is, well, a persona.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 10:31:30 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2016, 10:33:07 PM by Lyin' Steve »

He's a dumbass rapper who was Bernie's token black surrogate during the primaries.  Known for his insightful, socially conscious lyrics like

The motivation behind many of RTJ's lyrics is clearly political but the style is an artifact of the conventions of hip-hop. When interviewed by CNN or Fox News, Killer Mike displays a great deal of intelligence and tact that's not present in any of his lyrics, making it pretty clear to non-idiots that his rap persona is, well, a persona.

So this song he's in his rap persona?  And this interview where he's talking about it with complete seriousness, is he also in his persona there?

Face it man, we all know there are tons of rappers who have these kinds of beliefs.  Public Enemy, Immortal Technique, there's just a subculture of rappers who have these bizarre left-wing conspiracy-theory views.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 10:33:08 PM »

Lyin' Steve doesn't know what he's talking about - SHOCKING
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 10:39:43 PM »

Lyin' Steve doesn't know what he's talking about - SHOCKING
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »

The crime bill is just an excuse.  Most of the people citing it as a reason they hate Clinton don't even understand what it actually was or what effects it actually had, they just read some weak argument on Reddit or a "progressive" blog that it's responsible for all the black men in prison, and go CLINTON BAD.

It's the same way with NAFTA.  The Clinton years were some of the most prosperous, peaceful, and domestically tranquil years in American history, but these people think that would have just happened anyway and that the Clinton administration's only contributions were these bills to secretly screw up the country and plot to ruin that prosperity.

Not to mention that most of the blame for lost jobs seems to get put on trade deals (and thus Clinton), while ignoring the increasing prevalence of machines/automation and increased worker productivity as a result. If we want to move forward as a civilization, jobs are going to be lost and new ones will be created.

What really bothers me is that first, Hillary was not president in the 90s. She had to support her husband, and maybe she legitimately bought into those policies back then, but for gods sakes, that was 20 years ago. She has a decent record since 2000 in terms of domestic policy at least and no one gives her credit for that. So many are acting like people can't change over 2 decades, or that it's impossible that she may not have truly bought into many of those now-negatively viewed policies in the first place.

Finally, everyone says Hillary goes whatever way the political winds are blowing, yet now that the winds are blowing in a liberal direction, she is going to stick to conservative/centrist policies? How the **** does that make sense? The way for Democrats to win right now is by sticking to these positions, not the other way around.

At the end of the day, many of these people simply don't like Hillary and will use whatever weak argument comes their way to prop up their hate. So maybe people shouldn't take political advice/info from third-rate rappers who have their own biased views.

Will YOUR job be lost to automation?  Probably not.  But if you lose your job, I won't cry for you, and if I had one prayer left, I'd pray for the person displaced by free trade over the pro-NAFTA Democrat down on their luck. 

Sure, displaced folks can get another job at age 59.  They can retrain for 2 years and hang on until they can overcome age discrimination and get a job in the field they're retrained for.  Piece of cake, eh?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2016, 12:14:41 AM »

Will YOUR job be lost to automation?  Probably not.  But if you lose your job, I won't cry for you, and if I had one prayer left, I'd pray for the person displaced by free trade over the pro-NAFTA Democrat down on their luck. 

Sure, displaced folks can get another job at age 59.  They can retrain for 2 years and hang on until they can overcome age discrimination and get a job in the field they're retrained for.  Piece of cake, eh?

It doesn't matter, Fuzzy. A lot more jobs are going to be lost in the future as well, even my initial career choice. New ones will come about, and people will have to adjust. That is the world we live in.

Or perhaps, what, we basically put a halt to the advancement of civilization so we don't have to feel bad about this? What do you propose? Because right now I see a lot of emotional weight and little practicality in your post. Should we be enacting trade deals that result in lots of lost jobs for little GDP growth - I don't know, but if we do, we must invest more in the people displaced. I have various beefs with the TPP deal and I feel workers have been ignored in many decisions, but I'm not about to go into full protectionist mode just because of that.

Further, are you saying we should ban all automation to prevent job losses? Because I don't quite get the point of your post. Of course I feel bad for people who lose their jobs to this, but I'm not about to turn into a Luddite because of it. Jobs have always been lost due to advancing technology, all throughout history. It's just the way things are.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies