College Football 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:33:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: College Football 2016  (Read 9290 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »

It was very classy that at every game in the B1G today they used a coin honoring those two punters. However I still say after the targeting fiasco and how awful the playoff system has been, it's high time to abolish the NCAA and turn college football into a farm team system for the NFL, the same way that minor league baseball and junior/minor league hockey work.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »

It was very classy that at every game in the B1G today they used a coin honoring those two punters. However I still say after the targeting fiasco and how awful the playoff system has been, it's high time to abolish the NCAA and turn college football into a farm team system for the NFL, the same way that minor league baseball and junior/minor league hockey work.
Because what's more exciting than replacing teams with 100+ years of history with obscure franchises that move around every 2 years...
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2016, 10:43:09 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2016, 10:45:05 PM by ExtremeRepublican »

Of course, we had two incredible endings (and one incredible non-ending) in about a fifteen minute span at the end of the mid-afternoon games yesterday (UNC-FSU and Tennessee-Georgia)!  Plus, a great game between Louisville and Clemson.

We are down to 12 remaining undefeated teams in Power 5 conferences:
SEC: #1 Alabama, #8 Texas A&M, #9 Tennessee
ACC: #3 Clemson, #10 Miami
Big Ten: #2 Ohio St., #4 Michigan, #12 Nebraska, Maryland
Big 12: #13 Baylor, #22 West Virginia
Pac-12: #5 Washington

#7 Louisville is the highest ranked team with a loss, and #6 Houston is tops from the non-power conferences.

My current rankings:
1. Ohio St. (it pains me to say it, but they look like the best team right now)
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Michigan
5. Louisville
6. Texas A&M
7. Tennessee
8. Washington
9. Houston
10. Wisconsin
11. Ole Miss
12. Miami
13. Stanford
14. North Carolina
15. Arkansas
16. Nebraska
17. Oklahoma
18. Colorado
19. Baylor
20. LSU
21. Georgia
22. Florida
23. Florida St.
24. Boise St.
25. Oklahoma St.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »

Don't know if Hurricane Matthew will have an impact on the election, but it could reek havoc on college football.  Everything from Florida to Jersey is at risk with the state of North Carolina particularly packed with games.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2016, 06:49:12 PM »

Don't know if Hurricane Matthew will have an impact on the election, but it could reek havoc on college football.  Everything from Florida to Jersey is at risk with the state of North Carolina particularly packed with games.

The FSU-Miami game should be fine, and anything Virginia on northwards can be played before Matthew gets there.  The LSU-Florida game should be OK, but I'm not going to say that 100%.  That leaves the 4 ACC games in NC and the Georgia-South Carolina game as problematic.  In fact, Nikki Haley pretty much said that the SC game will not be played as schedule today.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2016, 12:12:28 AM »

Bring Back Chip
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2016, 01:58:42 AM »

Today marks the beginning of FCS eliminations (well, we got rid of Furman last week). Starting with 100 teams seeking 24 playoff spots (plus 1 for the Celebration Bowl), we are officially down to 91. 21 will look to fight off elimination next week (and each following week), including 7 which were considered preseason contenders (5 ranked!) - Illinois State even with a win against a top 50-60 FBS team, no less.

More to come tomorrow.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2016, 02:09:19 AM »

So the Pac-12 makes absolutely no sense right now...which I guess was expected. The only things I'm sure of are

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

Nothing else makes sense to me anymore. Nothing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2016, 03:41:24 AM »

So the Pac-12 makes absolutely no sense right now...which I guess was expected. The only two things I'm sure of are

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

What the heck happened to Oregon , was Mariota even better then we thought
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2016, 04:53:23 AM »

So the Pac-12 makes absolutely no sense right now...which I guess was expected. The only two things I'm sure of are

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

That's the only thing that actually makes sense at this point -- losing Allioti has been a tailspin for the Oregon defense since 2013. But ASU just took down UCLA and possibly Josh Rosen. WSU just smashed Stanford without remorse. OSU, which lost by 30 points last week, somehow outscored Cal, who took down Utah last week on a defensive stop.

Only Washington has no losses in this conference and it can still easily lose any of its remaining games.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2016, 01:20:55 PM »

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

That's the only thing that actually makes sense at this point -- losing Allioti has been a tailspin for the Oregon defense since 2013. But ASU just took down UCLA and possibly Josh Rosen. WSU just smashed Stanford without remorse. OSU, which lost by 30 points last week, somehow outscored Cal, who took down Utah last week on a defensive stop.

Only Washington has no losses in this conference and it can still easily lose any of its remaining games.

In 2014 Don Pellum did a good job
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2016, 01:54:46 AM »

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

In 2014 Marcus Mariota destroyed everyone he put his eyes on. Basically it seems that like many offense-heavy systems, Oregon's defense was dependent on the offense's ability to control the ball. Notice how poorly Oregon did without Vernon Adams last year. Without a good (as in better than average) quarterback the system just falls apart.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »

The new AP Poll is out, and we have seven SEC teams in the top 25, despite the absolute snubbing of LSU and Georgia:

1. Alabama
6. Texas A&M
9. Tennessee
12. Ole Miss
18. Florida
22. Arkansas
23. Auburn

Since the end of the 2013 season, every SEC team except Kentucky has appeared in the Top 25 at some point!  Of course, we have a showdown between Alabama and Tennessee this weekend in Knoxville and Alabama and Texas A&M next weekend in Tuscaloosa.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

In 2014 Marcus Mariota destroyed everyone he put his eyes on. Basically it seems that like many offense-heavy systems, Oregon's defense was dependent on the offense's ability to control the ball. Notice how poorly Oregon did without Vernon Adams last year. Without a good (as in better than average) quarterback the system just falls apart.

In 2010 and 2011 Oregon qb was Darron Thomas who wasn't a star qb and Oregon were still a top 2-3 team those years
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »

It's kind of hilarious that Navy is ranked ahead of LSU and Wazzu...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »

The new AP Poll is out, and we have seven SEC teams in the top 25, despite the absolute snubbing of LSU and Georgia:

1. Alabama
6. Texas A&M
9. Tennessee
12. Ole Miss
18. Florida
22. Arkansas
23. Auburn

Since the end of the 2013 season, every SEC team except Kentucky has appeared in the Top 25 at some point!  Of course, we have a showdown between Alabama and Tennessee this weekend in Knoxville and Alabama and Texas A&M next weekend in Tuscaloosa.

Georgia was not snubbed. Not even close. That's a very bad team that Western Michigan and Navy would absolutely demolish. It's quite shameful that the AP gave them as many votes as they did. I do have LSU in my ballot...just barely (UF barely too)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2016, 04:19:53 PM »

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

In 2010 and 2011 Oregon qb was Darron Thomas who wasn't a star qb and Oregon were still a top 2-3 team those years

Yeah, but Don Pellum wasn't the DC at that point in time -- Alliotti was. Alliotti seemed to understand how to make their defense work with their offense. Apparently, as seen with almost every other up-tempo spread team in the Big 12, it takes a very talented DC to do that (probably more talented than average).

Also more teams are used to the speed Chip Kelly really pushed for during his tenure at Oregon. Therefore, there's less TOP for Oregon's offense compared to 2008-2011.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2016, 10:49:46 AM »

Mark Helfrich doesn't know what he's doing, just that Chip Kelly did it. Now that Marcus Mariota is gone, Helfrich is like Hua Guofeng to Kelly's Mao Zedong, blindly following the Two Whatevers.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2016, 01:19:23 AM »

Someone should do a wellness check on Harry.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2016, 08:42:17 AM »

My upset special this week is Wisconsin taking down OSU.  Cheesy
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2016, 05:16:15 PM »

Sad Every year with the dream-crushing QB injuries. I guess we'll still make the playoffs, but not looking forward to a one-and-done. 3 years in a row now.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2016, 06:28:13 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2016, 06:45:49 PM by Wolverine22 »

On the banks of the Red Cedar
There's a school that's known to all
Its specialty is drinking
And those Spartans play Beer Pong

Drinking teams are never beaten
They drink through the days and nights
Till they vomit their favorite colors,
Green and white

Green and white, what a sh**ty sight
Time to play the Spartans!
What a poor excuse for football
Another easy win
Chug! Chug! Chug!

Taste the tear gas
Go to jail
Every game's the same!
F***! You! M-S-U!
Burn another couch or two!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »

Something occurred to me. If A&M actually beats Bama tomorrow and then manages to win the SEC West, will the Texas donors go even more off the edge than normal? I can see them burning down the program no matter how many games Charlie Strong wins if A&M does that well this year.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2016, 11:32:33 PM »

If A&M beats Bama tomorrow, I like our chances to get two teams in the College Football Playoff.  The SEC West, in my opinion, has six of the top 15-20 teams in the country.  It's not their fault that some of them will have five losses, because someone has to lose their games against each other!  It will be proven, yet again, when the SEC dominates in bowl season, just like last year, when people didn't give us enough respect.  Mississippi St. might not go to a bowl game, even though they are a good enough team to take BYU to overtime in Provo, because their early-season post-Dak growing pains will be too much to overcome in the SEC West.

The other thing that is incredible about this season is the number of brand names in serious jeopardy of not going bowling:

Michigan St.
Notre Dame
Oregon
Mississippi St. (reached #1 just two years ago)
UCLA
Texas
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2016, 12:10:43 AM »

If A&M beats Bama tomorrow, I like our chances to get two teams in the College Football Playoff.  The SEC West, in my opinion, has six of the top 15-20 teams in the country.  It's not their fault that some of them will have five losses, because someone has to lose their games against each other!  It will be proven, yet again, when the SEC dominates in bowl season, just like last year, when people didn't give us enough respect.  Mississippi St. might not go to a bowl game, even though they are a good enough team to take BYU to overtime in Provo, because their early-season post-Dak growing pains will be too much to overcome in the SEC West.

The other thing that is incredible about this season is the number of brand names in serious jeopardy of not going bowling:

Michigan St.
Notre Dame
Oregon
Mississippi St. (reached #1 just two years ago)
UCLA
Texas

No way the SEC gets two teams from the West in. The committee has made it clear that it values conference champions far above non-champions. No way they put, say, a 1 loss Bama or A&M that doesn't even win its own division over a one loss (or even some 2 loss teams like a 2 loss Wisconsin that won a rematch in the B1G championship) ACC/Big XII/Big 10/Pac-12 champion. Plus, the SEC West just flat out isn't that great this year. It's possibly still the best division in CFB, but the non-conference results (losses by LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State, and wins that were either unimpressive or over unimpressive teams by Arky, Bama, and A&M) definitely make that a debatable proposition.

If they DO let in a non-conference champion, I think that 1 loss Louisville and the loser of the Michigan/tOSU game will have just as good a claim (or better) as the 2nd in the West.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies