Why did we stop inventing gods? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:03:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why did we stop inventing gods? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did we stop inventing gods?  (Read 3498 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 13, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »

Christ, I'd rather read Eliade's etiologies of religion than this nonsense.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

The short answer is that gods were originally created (I'm obviously referring to polytheistic religion here) to explain things that mankind had no understanding of.  Very simple things.  Rain, snow, natural disasters, disease, famine, victories (or losses) in battle, plant growth, et cetera.  Yahweh emerged in Jewish tradition as the one true God (or at least, the only God that may be recognized).  "Allah" is not a new god because Islam is a monotheistic faith; "Allah" is the Arabic word for "God."  By definition, monotheistic faiths cannot invent new gods, only deliver new revelations or prophets.

I agree.

A new prophet, since a person, would just be inventing a new God. That is what Mohammad did.

No, he didn't "invent" a new god.  Perhaps consider doing some basic research before you comment on a religion.

A great argument against what I put. That really corrects. Not.

Name another god that gifts it's male adherents with 72 virgins after death if Allah is not a new god.

Regards
DL

Nobody even remotely serious about studying comparative religions would claim that this was enough to make a figure 'a new god', and there are a lot of ridiculous serious claims floating around in comparative religions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies