When will Jewish voters leave the Democratic Party en masse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:49:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will Jewish voters leave the Democratic Party en masse?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: When will Jewish voters leave the Democratic Party en masse?  (Read 6306 times)
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »

Jews in the US increasingly don't care that much about Israel.

They should once they see the anti-Semites in the college campuses. It's clear that some leftist Democrats are too pro-Palestinian.

At college I have met several pro-BDS Jewish students. Supporting the Jewish people doesn't necessarily equal supporting whatever the state of Israel is doing (also, you might underestimate just how despised Netanyahu is among left-leaning Jewish Americans)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »

Speaker Keith Ellison
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »

Not anytime soon.

American Jews have been increasingly dropping the "always support Israel", and more taking a "support Israel but not Netanyahu" approach. I think most of them would like someone to the left of him like Herzog, Livni, Yachimovich or Lapid as prime minister instead, and I feel the Bernie wing wants Meretz in power.

They're increasingly tolerant of Muslims (more so than many Israeli Jews) and were pretty much universally opposed to the travel ban. Right now they're much more focused on a candidate committed to "Social Justice" here in the US, than one who would always support Israel and Netanyahu. If anything, Trump pushed Jews further to the left rather than pulled them to him due to his pro-Israel stance.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2017, 12:36:56 PM »

Nah.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »

By 2036/2040 when the GOP dumps their evangelical base and wins with a pragmatic northern strategy that includes the Midwest, the Interior plains, the northeast, and west coast.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »

Never. We will never join the xenophobic, racist party, having been victims of that stuff so many times.

Jews are becoming Republican slowly.  If the GOP dropped their religious fundamentalist stance, more Jews would become Republicans, as many of the Jews I know are socially moderate to liberal, but conservative in economics.  On the other hand, Jews are represented in disproportionate numbers to their numbers in the general population in the fields of law and education, and two of the GOP's top targets are trial lawyers and teacher unions, so many Jews have their economic livelihoods at least somewhat tied up with the Democratic Party.  

I would not be surprised if Jews, as a group, become split-ticket voters; more Republican for President, but Democratic in down-ballot races.

If there is any tend of Jews toward the GOP it is among converts who change their religious affiliation but not their politics. So consider a Swedish-American, conservative Republican farm girl from North Dakota who falls in love with a Jewish man and converts to Judaism. She can reject Jesus without rejecting the GOP of her parents. That is one more Jewish Republican.

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »

if the GOP becomes a secularized, socially more liberal party it got a fighting chance.

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

Most Jewish Democrats I know are economically progressive too. Don't forget that part of the equation!

Then again, American Jews can't be stereotyped as a monolithic voting bloc. Very politically diverse.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »

I can't speak for other Jews, but I would be absolutely delighted at the prospect of a black Muslim, during the SotU, sitting behind a man who called for banning Muslims from entering the U.S..  What a contrast that would be!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »

Most Jewish Democrats I know are economically progressive too. Don't forget that part of the equation!

Then again, American Jews can't be stereotyped as a monolithic voting bloc. Very politically diverse.

This is the right answer for analyzing American Jewish voting patterns.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2017, 11:16:27 PM »

Like any other potential "mass exodus", it would take both parties making significant changes to their platforms.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »

I don't think it will happen to any significant degree. Jews may reject local Dems who show signs of hostility toward their communities or to Israel (or who sympathize with those who do) but on a national level especially, Jewish support of Dems has remained strong and will continue to do so.

One of the most popular misconceptions I have come across, especially in conservative and neocon literature, is that Jews supported Ronald Reagan more so than other Republicans. While it is true (according to polls I have read and casual pouring over of election results in largely Jewish areas) that Jews withheld support from Carter in large numbers in 1980, most of this lost support seemed to go to Anderson, not Reagan. In 1984 in fact, Reagan received a lower share of the Jewish vote than Ford had gotten in 1976, again according to an estimated weighted average of polls. (Don Feder claimed that "less than 40%" of Jews supported Reagan in '84; the true percentage was probably closer to 32%).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies