Karl Rove loses it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:35:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Karl Rove loses it
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Karl Rove loses it  (Read 4312 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2005, 04:58:23 PM »

Today he said
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8324598/

Let's see if there's a double standard, where Dean gets bashed no matter what he said, and comments like this are ok.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 05:48:35 PM »

I will have to agree.  Rove stepped over the line, especially after the crap Durbin went through.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 07:59:10 PM »

rove was right.

Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 08:30:50 PM »

But, but, but ... every word he said is true. Liberals show themselves to be America's enemies time and time again.  When he calls you on it, you get upset.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 08:38:02 PM »

Today he said
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8324598/

Let's see if there's a double standard, where Dean gets bashed no matter what he said, and comments like this are ok.

Exactly, very much of a double standard.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 08:40:21 PM »

Karl Rove 'loses' it? When did he ever have it?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 08:44:05 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2005, 09:20:28 PM by riceowl315 »

Wait.

What was wrong with what he said?

Also, Dean is the Chairman of the Democratic Party.  Rove has nowhere near that much status.  He comes around for election time, knows how to get it done, and does his stuff.  His opinions don't speak for a party.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 09:22:30 PM »

Seriously, you folks think 50%+ of liberals jumped up after 9/11 and said "these people need counseling!"?  Are you honestly communicating that?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 09:24:26 PM »

Also, Dean is the Chairman of the Democratic Party.  Rove has nowhere near that much status.

Rove is arguably the most powerful man in the world. He is the brains behind George Bush and the White House.

Bush couldn't tie his own shoes if Karl Rove didn't tell him to and show him how.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 12:12:15 AM »

Very true what Rove said!
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 12:33:49 AM »

I don't know what to say... I'll a step above here and say I disagree and do not like what Rove said. This country was never more united than it was after 9/11.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 04:10:42 AM »

I think it should be pointed out that what Rove said was not particularly accurate as he said "liberals" not "some liberals".  But make no mistake about it, a sizeable portion of the country did not want to go into Afghanistan, a sizeable portion of the country thought we had it coming, and significant intellectual figures said exactly this after 9/11.

I don't want to condone what Rove said, but I also don't want to endorse a popular myth that we were all united after 9/11, we most certainly were not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 07:06:25 AM »

It's a disgraceful thing to say
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 08:11:53 AM »

He's completely wacko on most of that, but the last part isn't that stupid. I agree with the view that we must understand our enemy (not sympathise, understand) to win the war on terror, and I think many liberals agree with that. But we want to defeat them, we just think to do that we have to achieve a level of understanding about what we're fighting against.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 08:33:24 AM »

I think it should be pointed out that what Rove said was not particularly accurate as he said "liberals" not "some liberals".  But make no mistake about it, a sizeable portion of the country did not want to go into Afghanistan, a sizeable portion of the country thought we had it coming, and significant intellectual figures said exactly this after 9/11.

I don't want to condone what Rove said, but I also don't want to endorse a popular myth that we were all united after 9/11, we most certainly were not.

Well said!
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 08:35:35 AM »

Some people (Dick Durbin *cough*cough*) mainly seem to oppose wars when the opposing party is in power. Odd how that works.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 08:37:34 AM »

Some people (Dick Durbin *cough*cough*) mainly seem to oppose wars when the opposing party is in power. Odd how that works.
What about Senate Republicans during Kosovo? They weren't too supportive.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 09:23:08 AM »

Both Rove and Dean made blanket generalizations that were not well thought out and could have been phrased better.

The difference is the level of harm they will do to their respective parties.

Rove put off liberals and may drive them away from the Republican Party.  This hurts them how?

Dean said the Republicans are a "White, Christian party."  If this drives white christians away from the Democrats and to the Republicans, it will hurt the democrats in many areas.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 10:32:31 AM »

What about Senate Republicans during Kosovo? They weren't too supportive.
A very different situation.  How would our national security be negatively affected had we not gone into Kosovo?

Actually, given that some of the separatist groups in Kosovo had links to al Qaeda, we may have been better off by not going into Kosovo.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 11:00:51 AM »

Some thoughts on this whole thing:

GayPatriot writes...

It is rather odd, eh?  If Democrats want to distance themselves from the word "liberal," why complain?

Glenn Reynolds write...

And it seems some people agree

Here's an example!
http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/007059.php

Rove is a genius.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 11:04:54 AM »

Um, Bush had a 90% approval rating. I think it's safe to say anyone who would approve of Bush at any point does not fall into this category.

And while I was in the 10%, I was nothing like what he described. So not even all of the 10% are like that. It's a very very small portion no matter how look at it.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 11:09:13 AM »

Both Rove and Dean made blanket generalizations that were not well thought out and could have been phrased better.

The difference is the level of harm they will do to their respective parties.

Rove put off liberals and may drive them away from the Republican Party.  This hurts them how?

Dean said the Republicans are a "White, Christian party."  If this drives white christians away from the Democrats and to the Republicans, it will hurt the democrats in many areas.

Well, Dean's generalization is substantially more true.  A much higher percentage of Republicans are white Christians than the percentage of liberals who opposed the war in Afghanistan.

For instance, in the Congress:
% of Republicans who are white Christians: >95%
% of Democrats who voted against Afghani war: <1%
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 11:22:23 AM »

Well, Dean's generalization is substantially more true.  A much higher percentage of Republicans are white Christians than the percentage of liberals who opposed the war in Afghanistan.

That statement implies that 100% of the Democrats in Congress are liberals.

Rove said "liberals" not "Democrats" and certainly not "Congressional Democrats".  Since self-indentified liberals only make up a small percentage of the population, Rove's statement is reasonably accurate.  The 10% of the population that disapproved of our response to 9/11 deserve to be criticized.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 11:25:37 AM »

That statement implies that 100% of the Democrats in Congress are liberals.

Rove said "liberals" not "Democrats" and certainly not "Congressional Democrats".  Since self-indentified liberals only make up a small percentage of the population, Rove's statement is reasonably accurate.  The 10% of the population that disapproved of our response to 9/11 deserve to be criticized.

more than 10% of the population are liberals. And like I said, I was in the 10% that disapproved of Bush< I NEVER approved of him, and I did not oppose the war in Afghanistan, although I think Bush ed it up like he's ed up every single thing he's ever done becuase a worthless incompetant piece of crap.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 12:38:17 PM »

The unfortunate thing about Karl Rove - is whether you like him or not - is that he has a brain and it can be very, very dangerous

I think this remark was bang-out-of-order and it's only fair that he endure his fair share of vlification for a change!

Dave

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies