Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:26:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Should sexual acts between a mother and adult son be legal?
Legal

Illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship  (Read 5601 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
« edited: August 22, 2016, 11:06:50 PM by Blue3 »

Look at the rest of that paragraph:

You know what I found even more icky than incest? Transgenderism. Do I think transgender people should be thrown into jail? No.

(and yes, I'm friends with and have worked alongside trans* people, and believe in unisex bathrooms too)

My point is, we shouldn't let personal "ickiness" feelings influence political and legal issues.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2016, 11:52:04 PM »

But there really is no reason to feel that "transgenderism" is "icky" personally. That is like saying "I support the civil rights act, but I don't want blacks moving into my neighborhood personally."
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2016, 11:53:55 PM »

I find Blue3's opinion that transgender people are icky, in itself, "icky," but do I think he should be thrown in jail for expressing it?  No.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2016, 12:48:05 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2016, 12:50:57 AM by Blue3 »

But there really is no reason to feel that "transgenderism" is "icky" personally. That is like saying "I support the civil rights act, but I don't want blacks moving into my neighborhood personally."
No, it's more like the opposite of that. It would be like saying you personally don't want to hang out with black people, but you fully support the Civil Rights Act and integration and nondiscrimination and equality. I find something "icky"... and I'm fine with it.

I also find mustard gross. Am I trying to ban mustard? No. I just won't eat it for myself.

This whole post just demonstrates how you and others here don't seem to be truly listening. There is no reason to feel anything is "icky"... it's a feeling, an admitted inherent bias, not the result of a thought process. No one chooses what they find "icky."

(and for the record, I said I find transgenderism icky, not transgender people... as in the actual act of physical transformation)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2016, 12:52:41 AM »

No, it's more like the opposite of that. It would be like saying you personally don't want to hang out with black people, but you fully support the Civil Rights Act and integration and nondiscrimination and equality. I find something "icky"... and I'm fine with it.

I also find mustard gross. Am I trying to ban mustard? No. I just won't eat it for myself.

This whole post just demonstrates how you and others here don't seem to be truly listening. There is no reason to feel anything is "icky"... it's a feeling, an admitted inherent bias, not the result of a thought process. No one chooses what they find "icky."
Dude, in 2011, I had this weird "icky" feeling about hanging out with black people and I was rightfully lambasted for being a racist. Turns out that my "icky" feeling was actually just a nasty manifestation of years of internalized rage that I let loose on people who were no actual threat to me to be "edgy."

You don't have to be attracted to Trans-people or people outside of your race. You can't control that. But if you have a "natural icky" feeling towards a transgender person, chances are, it is not natural at all and that you are projecting your own bizarre fears/emotions/desires/anger on someone.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2016, 12:54:34 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2016, 01:02:43 AM by Blue3 »

Do you read?

I personally find transgenderism "icky", the physical transformation. Not people. And I don't let my personal "ickiness" bias my political views.

Just like I don't think my personal "ickiness" towards incest should automatically make it illegal either, going back to the thread topic.

I also feel the same way about transhumanism, with people who want to someday replace their body parts with mechanical parts, or nonhuman-animal parts, or genetically-designed artificial organic parts. That's something I'm undecided on politically.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2016, 05:05:43 AM »

Well this discussion keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:19 PM »

Zoroaster would be disappointed with you all.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »

Legal, but if there's a pregnancy it should be aborted. Regardless of how icky it is, it's not the business of the state to legislate sex acts between consenting adults.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »

The is horrible and anyone who says who am I to judge?, should be put in a mental institution.

Because it makes you feel icky. Once you ban the bearing of children in these kinds of relationships, there is no good reason to ban these kinds of relationships (if consentual).
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »

It should obviously be illegal!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2016, 11:33:46 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 11:38:09 PM by Signora Ophelia Maraschina, Mafia courtesan »

If you feel the need to automatically abort any offspring conceived in a certain type of sexual relationship, that does not help your case that that kind of relationship should be legal. If you feel that it should be legal, that does not help your case that any offspring conceived should be automatically aborted.

Of course, ideally, in the real, non-Huxleyan world, abortion should never be a 'should', and should be (putting on a 'doesn't believe that it's morally wrong regardless' hat here) left up to the mother, in which case it's much more reasonable to invoke muh consenting adults, since you're no longer making normative proclamations about how these consenting adults should respond to consensual pregnancies from all the consensual sex they're having. I have to wonder for what other situations involving the possibility of muh birth defects omegascarlet (and dax00 earlier in the thread) think abortion is a 'must' or 'should', versus for which it should be merely optional.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2016, 09:42:15 PM by omegascarlet »

Does this belong in the off topic board? It strikes me as more of an individual politics thing.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2016, 11:45:12 PM »

Does this belong in the off topic board. It strikes me as more of an individual politics thing.

Agreed.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2016, 02:11:08 PM by Simfan34 »

You know what I found even more icky than incest? Transgenderism.

That's a... problematic opinion.

Well, regarding that, pretty much everything we've taken for granted about human physiology and psychology is problematic. And there's no point in pointing to brain scans, people support transgenderism on the basis of feelings rather than brain scans (which, also show abnormalities in the brains of people with other identity disorders, which, for some reason, we don't take as validating their identity!) and we all know it.

If you'd like to shut me up you can hit me with the club of "trans suicides", as is usually how these "discussions" end; I'll comply. Indeed, this isn't the time or place for this discussion at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies