Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:15:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should sexual acts between a mother and adult son be legal?
Legal

Illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship  (Read 5624 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: August 14, 2016, 11:06:07 PM »

Yeah it's gross, but where's the harm to anybody else (except any potential children, as already mentioned)?

I mean, it's gross, but I can't support legislating sexual activity that doesn't harm anyone. Pregnancy is the grey area.

It DOES harm someone!  Cousins?  Sure, who cares?  Even brother-sister?  It's not hurting anyone if they don't reproduce.  But parent-child?  That is INHERENTLY without consent.  I firmly believe that a child is incapable of giving sexual consent to his or her parent; they are inherently unequal, and that creates a huge problem.  This goes WAY beyond thinking it's "icky," this opens up terrifying doors for kids who have "given consent to their parents" (the parents swear it's true, and so do the kids when they are in front of their parents!) and sick parents actually just manipulating their kids.

You are inherently "inferior" to your parent in this type of situation, no matter how ed up things are at your home.

You're going to need to explain your thinking a bit more clearly here.  The son is 19.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »

Never thought I'd say this, but this thread is a perfect example of "who am I to judge" attitude going too far.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain why the consenting relationship itself should be illegal.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:40:16 PM »

Never thought I'd say this, but this thread is a perfect example of "who am I to judge" attitude going too far.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain why the consenting relationship itself should be illegal.
Those who engage in parent-child incest are sick and mentally incapable of consent. It is impossible to have a consensual parent-child sexual relationship. Don't be ridiculous.

According to whose psychiatric diagnosis?  Yours?  Their overwhelming contravention of societal norms is not convincing enough for me, in this case, to force a relationship between two adults into illegality.  Your socially authoritarian logic here is the same used to keep homosexuality illegal.

Also, not to get off-topic, but "don't be ridiculous" is a little flattened when coming from somebody supporting Donald Trump.

Multiple people have.

Where?  I've seen "eww I think this is icky so they must be crazy", but nothing that actually addresses my question from a more objective standpoint.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:26:07 AM »

Multiple people have.

Where?  I've seen "eww I think this is icky so they must be crazy", but nothing that actually addresses my question from a more objective standpoint.

Why should "it's icky" not be as valid a reason for policy as anything else?

Because "ickiness" is not an objective opinion?

According to whose psychiatric diagnosis?  Yours?  Their overwhelming contravention of societal norms is not convincing enough for me, in this case, to force a relationship between two adults into illegality.  Your socially authoritarian logic here is the same used to keep homosexuality illegal.
Uh, no. Come back when you learn how to read.

Ooh, spicy!  I've touched a nerve, evidently.  Anyway, are you going to try to address the first part of my post that you didn't bold?  That's the part I would actually care to see addressed.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »

There is no grey area. It's wrong, and if you disagree, your "morality" is below the level of human dignity.

Exactly. There are plenty of gay friends of mine who called me a bigot because when I hear about a mother and son in a sexual relationship, I want to throw up.

Wanting to throw up is one thing.  Wanting to keep the activity illegal is another, and nobody has yet put forward a convincing argument in favor of that that doesn't just rely on the first point.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »

There is no grey area. It's wrong, and if you disagree, your "morality" is below the level of human dignity.

Exactly. There are plenty of gay friends of mine who called me a bigot because when I hear about a mother and son in a sexual relationship, I want to throw up.

Wanting to throw up is one thing.  Wanting to keep the activity illegal is another, and nobody has yet put forward a convincing argument in favor of that that doesn't just rely on the first point.

HOLY sh**t, LOL, yes they have!  You're just ignoring them.

For one, multiple people have touched on what should be a universally accepted truth: this is not consent, as a son or daughter cannot give true consent to his or her parent by the very nature of the term.  They're inherently unequal.

I said convincing argument.  I've yet to see one.

In an earlier reply to me, you referred to a "natural dynamic" between a parent and their offspring - regardless of the latter's age - that removes consent as we typically understand it.  Can you explain what you mean by that, given that your argument appears to hinge on it?

And in what sense do you see them as "inherently unequal"?  Their age?  That's a given, but once again we're talking about two people both over the statutory age of consent.

The only "universally accepted truth" I see here is the ickiness of it, which believe me I accept too.  But the legality of it is another matter.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »

You know what I found even more icky than incest? Transgenderism.

That's a... problematic opinion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies