Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:42:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should sexual acts between a mother and adult son be legal?
Legal

Illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Mother and son in love in N.M. will go to jail to defend their relationship  (Read 5676 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 15, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

I'm not sure it should be legal exactly, but the authorities should basically look the other way and pretend it isn't happening.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:55:17 AM »

What did you think I meant by shunning? And you should read up on Confucian philosophy, there's ways to influence people without getting the government and the use of force involved.
Confucianism is incompatible with liberalism, which is why China and Korea cannot become liberal societies for the foreseeable future, even if Korea lampoons Western institutions and government. We don't believe in Confucianism, we believe in liberalism.

Why do you claim to believe in liberalism?  That whole thing about using the law to warn the wicked of their ways or face God's judgement doesn't really fit into that, does it?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:38:30 AM »

What did you think I meant by shunning? And you should read up on Confucian philosophy, there's ways to influence people without getting the government and the use of force involved.
Confucianism is incompatible with liberalism, which is why China and Korea cannot become liberal societies for the foreseeable future, even if Korea lampoons Western institutions and government. We don't believe in Confucianism, we believe in liberalism.

Why do you claim to believe in liberalism?  That whole thing about using the law to warn the wicked of their ways or face God's judgement doesn't really fit into that, does it?
Liberalism was founded upon the belief that natural law and divine revelation both originated in God. I believe in liberalism because I am a Christian and I believe that liberalism is the most moral organizing philosophy for government. Liberalism does not disavow religion, in fact, true liberalism demands piety.

"Liberalism" is a hard concept to discuss since there are so many definitions of it running around, without any having a special claim of legitimacy.  But liberalism has tended ever since the Enlightenment to shed itself of any connection to revelation; and be reliant on some concept of a secular social contract, with an increasingly vague and tenuous attachment to natural rights,  attempting to anchor itself in ideas of mutual interest and security rather than eternal truths.

I don't understand what "liberalism" means if it involves neither a distinction between religion and law, nor a belief that some ethical matters are beyond the purview of the state.  If it just means the belief in an eternal law that cannot be contravened by either a king or a mob, that is hardly unique to liberalism, nor incompatible with Confucianism.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »

There is no grey area. It's wrong, and if you disagree, your "morality" is below the level of human dignity.

Exactly. There are plenty of gay friends of mine who called me a bigot because when I hear about a mother and son in a sexual relationship, I want to throw up.

Wanting to throw up is one thing.  Wanting to keep the activity illegal is another, and nobody has yet put forward a convincing argument in favor of that that doesn't just rely on the first point.

Birth defects as a result of incest isn't a good enough reason? These people do belong in jail if that's what it's going to take to keep them from reproducing. Heck, are we going to legalize incestuous marriage now if the parties are incapable of reproducing?

In cases like this, this is one pretty big example of where the "Disgusting" argument really does work in favor of banning certain kinds of relationships.

can we ban your posts then?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies