If you had to guess, what will Trump primarily be remembered as in 30 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If you had to guess, what will Trump primarily be remembered as in 30 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: title
An anomaly

A sign of things to come

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: If you had to guess, what will Trump primarily be remembered as in 30 years?  (Read 739 times)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:31:06 AM »

A twist on the other thread.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:34:12 AM »

I sincerely hope it's option 1, but if I had to guess, option 2.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:35:29 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2016, 12:41:19 AM by Ronnie »

I think he's mostly an aberration, but one who will precipitate significant institutional changes within the Republican Party.  Hopefully for the better.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:38:02 AM »

I had to vote "an anomaly", since I am not prepared to give up hope on democracy yet.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:38:38 AM »

I had to vote "an anomaly", since I am not prepared to give up hope on democracy yet.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:38:57 AM »

A sign of things to come, at least as far as candidate personality, campaign style, and populist rhetoric.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 02:40:13 AM »

I think he's mostly an aberration, but one who will precipitate significant institutional changes within the Republican Party.  Hopefully for the better.

I think you are right.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 02:46:09 AM »

A sign of things to come, I fear.

Trump isn't leading a parade, he's just run out in front of the riot with a bullhorn and gotten cheers. Like Hitler, Trump is a manifestation of already present forces. Even if those forces are "wrong" in major ways, they still exist and have a strong hold on a portion of the voting public.

Worse, Trump has positioned himself and his "movement" (if it outlives him at all) to grow stronger with every establishment failure of any sort.  And just as badly, if he does completely discredit everything he associated with, then he'll have neutered any sort of populist, libertarian, or even conservative challenge to the establishment, no matter how badly it fails or abuses its power.

Trump is basically a lose-lose-lose for America.

Seriously?
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:26 AM »

Option C. The greatest President of the 21st Century.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 03:11:25 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2016, 03:16:02 AM by BlueSwan »

Oh c'mon. You can't seriously(!) believe that. Really? The guy knows nothing about politics, has zero impulse control, has a ton of crazy ideas detached from reality and has a better than average chance of actually ending civilization. Hating Hillary Clinton is really not reason enough to gamble with the future of humanity like this.

I freely admit to being a partisan, but I never feared that Mitt Romney, John McCain, Bob Dole, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan or even George W. Bush - terrible as he was - would cause the end of civilization. Infact I regarded them all as decent men that I just happened to have deep political disagreements with. Trump is a different beast entirely. I regard voting against Trump as a moral obligation for any sane person. I can forgive the ignorant amongst us for not realizing the threat that Trump poses, but I cannot forgive anyone with just a bit of political insight to fail here.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 03:20:15 AM »

Oh c'mon. You can't seriously(!) believe that. Really? The guy knows nothing about politics, has zero impulse control, has a ton of crazy ideas detached from reality and has a better than average chance of actually ending civilization. Hating Hillary Clinton is really not reason enough to gamble with the future of humanity like this.

I freely admit to being a partisan, but I never feared that Mitt Romney, John McCain, Bob Dole, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan or even George W. Bush - terrible as he was - would cause the end of civilization. Infact I regarded them all as decent men that I just happened to have deep political disagreements with. Trump is a different beast entirely. I regard voting against Trump as a moral obligation for any sane person. I can forgive the ignorant amongst us for not realizing the threat that Trump poses, but I cannot forgive anyone with just a bit of political insight to fail here.
I don't post what I don't believe. If Trump gets in, he will shake up the status quo in Washington and bring power back to the people instead of the lobbyists. Why do you think the Country Club Republican elite is against him?

It's about time that the Washington swamp is drained. Too many laws are passed that favor those that do not put the American people's best interests at heart.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »

I don't post what I don't believe. If Trump gets in, he will shake up the status quo in Washington and bring power back to the people instead of the lobbyists. Why do you think the Country Club Republican elite is against him?

It's about time that the Washington swamp is drained. Too many laws are passed that favor those that do not put the American people's best interests at heart.

Trump really doesn't care about you.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »

One of the worst nominees of a major party.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »

I sincerely hope it's option 1, but if I had to guess, option 2.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »

Someone whose name appears on buildings in pictures with captions like "NEW YORK CITY - BEFORE THE FALL."
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 01:45:02 PM »

I think you are right.

I think you are wrong.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »

Because he says incredibly stupid things (topped only by his supporters), which lead to a bad image for the party and electoral success for the Democrats.  Not rocket science.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »

The coming generation gives me little to no hope of option 2. Glad a handful seem optimistic.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »

Wendell Willkie mark 2. Nobody will remember him after the Boomers are gone.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 06:29:07 PM »

The man who destroyed the GOP.
Fargobison

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 06:42:38 PM »

Hopefully a national embarrassment that lost in a landslide.
Desroko
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »

Wendell Willkie mark 2. Nobody will remember him after the Boomers are gone.

Eh. Willkie probably would have made a decent president though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies