1024 - Conservagreen Brigade Terrorist Designation Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:53:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  1024 - Conservagreen Brigade Terrorist Designation Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1024 - Conservagreen Brigade Terrorist Designation Act  (Read 1260 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Rep. NeverAgain (L-VA)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »

This bill seems very important, so I'm suspending the rules to bring it to the House floor now.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »

What does it mean for the Sec of State to designate a person as a terrorist?  I'm concerned about not infringing on a person's rights without due process.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »

Shua's concerns about due process are valid. Is this conservagreen group domestic or international?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »

My thanks to Representative Never Again and Speaker Kent for their speed in bringing this to the floor. The passage of this bill is of vital importance to our national security, and I am certain that the House will pass it with all due haste.

Some background, for those who have not been closely following events in the world abroad: The so-called "Conservagreen Brigade" is a terrorist organization in all but name currently operating within the Central European nation of Paflagonia. It appears that this group was formed in response to the removal of former President Andreas von Bongbong and the installation of a new government under Field Marshall Adolf von Kummerspeck earlier this month. On August 10, the group abducted two Atlasians vacationing in Paflagonia - Mike Retroman and "Ace" Spear - and threatened to execute them if our government and the government of Paflagonia failed to meet their demands. The combined efforts of the Department of State and the Paflagonian authorities succeeded in rescuing Mr. Spear, but were too late to save the life of Mr. Retroman.

In short, the actions of the Conservagreen Brigade are a textbook example of terrorism. To allow these actions to go unpunished - particularly after the death of Mr. Retroman - would seriously compromise our credibility and our ability to protect our citizens traveling abroad.

Is this conservagreen group domestic or international?
The Conservagreen Brigade is an exclusively Paflagonian organization. From the intelligence we have, it appears that the group was organized to contest the legitimacy of the current Paflagonian government; it is therefore highly unlikely that the group would have any appeal outside of that country's borders.

What does it mean for the Sec of State to designate a person as a terrorist?  I'm concerned about not infringing on a person's rights without due process.
This power would apply only to persons "affiliated with the Conservagreen Brigade," which means that the Secretary of State would need to have definitive evidence that the person or group in question was indeed a terrorist before designating them as such. I'm envisioning a scenario wherein an individual (or a group of individuals) is collaborating with the Conservagreens - selling them arms, carrying out attacks, etc. - without being a member of the group per se. Again, the designee would need to have demonstrable ties to the Conservagreen Brigade in order for the determination of the SoS to have legal standing.

If it would make this House more comfortable, I would consent to an amendment specifying that the powers laid out in Section 3.2 apply only to foreign nationals.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »

What happens when the Sec of State designates someone as a terrorist?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »

Their heads explodes.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »

• It is a federal crime to knowingly provide material support or resources to a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization
     or "lone wolf terrorist"
     • Persons designated as terrorists may not legally enter Atlasia; in some circumstances, they may be deported
     • Persons or groups designated as terrorists loose access to any financial assets held or controlled by
     Atlasian financial institutions

Source
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:39:10 PM »

I guess my main problem with this then is the ability to designate someone as a terrorist without evidence linking them to a specific act or attempted act of terror.  But, perhaps that is a larger issue than just this bill.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »

I am personally comfortable with this bill, including the Secretary of State's definition of designating someone as a terrorist.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »

Since there has been no debate in almost four days, we will now move to a final vote. Representatives have 72 hours to vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »

I think it might be a good idea to just pass a legislation allowing the SoS to designate any given organization as terrorist, with the Congress having a right to nullify the action.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »

AYE
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 11:59:07 PM »

Seriously, guys? Seven abstentions? I'm sorry, but that's pathetic.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »

I think there's a bit of an issue regarding the gap between the election and swearing in.

The election finished on 22nd August, while swearing in is on 2nd September (eleven days). This should probably be shortened to the Friday following the conclusion of the election. Many of the soon to be former Representatives may be unaware that their session continues for eleven days after the election for the new House.

Additionally, I think that there should be a recess period in the (proposed) week between the start of the election and swearing in - so no activity can occur in the House until the swearing in of the new House.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree. This is my fault completely, and will not happen again (I do not excuse my behavior, but I have had a bunch of real life stuff going on). I do concur with Clyde's statement that there should be a recess (or just taking out this lame duck session), as this time can be a bit of a confusing process. I think we also must essentially ramp up our congressional GOTV, and I will promise y'all that if I do become speaker I will try my heartiest to make sure each and every Congressperson votes (myself included definitely), because these are bills with serious consequences and we were all elected to put our unique input on them.

Until then we all must read what we're voting on, and do our damn jobs (myself included).

I thank both the Secretary and the Assemblyman (soon to be Congressman) for drawing attention to the peak of lunacy in our Congress.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 07:31:36 PM »

Aye
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »

Aye, ftr.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »

Where do things stand with this? I assume the bill has passed, as both votes cast were in favor; if this is the case, I would appreciate it if y'all could send it along to the president.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 08:11:47 PM »

Where do things stand with this? I assume the bill has passed, as both votes cast were in favor; if this is the case, I would appreciate it if y'all could send it along to the president.
For some reason I thought I already closed this.

Apparently not. This bill has passed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies