Which do you prefer, subway or streetcar?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:30:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which do you prefer, subway or streetcar?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Subway (metro) or streetcar (tram)?
Subway

Streetcar

Other form of public transit

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Which do you prefer, subway or streetcar?  (Read 2499 times)
Helsinkian
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »

Favourite form of public transit?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »

Commuter rail (sane)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »

I mean.. subways are the most efficient by far.  They can travel 50-60mph under a city with no obstacles.

So they are inherently better.

However, if you're on a non-crowded streetcar on a non-crowded street, streetcars are nice.  You see the city that way.

Buses are not bad if you're not stopping and traffic isn't bad.  Having the driver right there makes it seem safer, too.

But some of the bus lines in Chicago are hell.  Always packed and always stuck in traffic.... stopping every block and then crawling 15-20mph between them.  You can bike faster than the bus.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »

Tram, but both are great.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »

Subway (sane, New Yorker)
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »

Light rail.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »

Ferry is the best answer, but Subway of these two.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 09:16:43 PM »

subway, but I'd rather ride a streetcar.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:59:42 AM »

Aren't both just variations of electric light rail?

Consider the Minneapolis light rail.

If it were a single car it would be a streetcar. The ride is the same either way.

Consider the Boston green line.

Is it a subway or a streetcar? It functions as both over its run. So do many other subways. If I like the green line (which I rode for many years as a grad student) how should I vote?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »

Subway is heavy rail.  Light rail is light rail.  The determining word here describes passenger level, with LRT trains holding much fewer passengers than a subway train.  LRT also runs above, at, and below grade while subway generally runs below and sometimes above.

A streetcar runs at grade in the middle of the street, usually at no more than 30mph and makes frequent stops.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

It most certainly is not.

If I like the green line (which I rode for many years as a grad student) how should I vote?

If you like the green line, then you should vote to see a psychiatrist.

I voted Subway.  I don't care for the subways that surface to surface trolleys either (e.g., The Green Line, which I rode more times than I care to remember as well).  The Red Line is faster and more comfortable, and more like a real subway.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »

If I like the green line (which I rode for many years as a grad student) how should I vote?

I voted Subway.  I don't care for the subways that surface to surface trolleys either (e.g., The Green Line, which I rode more times than I care to remember as well).  The Red Line is faster and more comfortable, and more like a real subway.

The Green Line from Riverside was my link to Boston in grad school. Red was of no use, or at best for a connection to Harvard or MIT if I couldn't ride my bike. I could sometimes take commuter rail, but the schedule was much less frequent. Interestingly, in the 80's the Green Line to Riverside had newer, nicer cars than the Red.

I guess I'm biased by the CTA as well. Both the Red and Blue line subways surface once they are out of the Loop, and have more stations above ground than below ground. Of course even these lines are collectively referred to as the L even when they aren't elevated.

Subway is heavy rail.  Light rail is light rail.  The determining word here describes passenger level, with LRT trains holding much fewer passengers than a subway train.  LRT also runs above, at, and below grade while subway generally runs below and sometimes above.

A streetcar runs at grade in the middle of the street, usually at no more than 30mph and makes frequent stops.

The aforementioned Boston Green Line is light rail and runs at, above and below grade. It also runs down the middle of the street in places and makes frequent stops. It sure seems like a streetcar to me.

The Chicago Blue Line is heavy rail and runs at, above and below grade. It's only underground for a few stops downtown and at Logan Square, so it's hard to call it a subway. But the Brown Line is above grade the entire way and runs the same heavy rail as runs underground on the Blue Line. I don't think I can call the Brown Line a subway, but it's not a light streetcar either. However, it is a nice way to get to and from Wrigley Field when most everyone is packing the Red Line.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 09:04:10 AM »

Subway. I always enjoyed riding by train.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 09:15:34 AM »

I live in New Orleans, so I'm gonna go with streetcar.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »

If you ask a Seattleite which they prefer between Link (subway) and the SLUT (streetcar), they're going to say Link everytime - all the best of a subway, tram, and monorail rolled into one.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »

Huh
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 01:27:28 PM »

The South Lake Union Trolley. There were so many jokes about "Ride the SLUT" that someone made shirts that say "Ride the S.L.U.T.".
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

I prefer the Subway.  Chicago doesn't have streetcars anymore.  They were replaced by buses many years ago.
dax00

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »

Boston's green line isn't that bad. The blue line is worse *eye roll*
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »

No, Subway's are all about the heavy rail. Or at least that's what S.F.'s BART's all about.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 07:45:59 PM »

Boston's green line isn't that bad.

Wow, you are on a roll today.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 07:39:43 AM »

Subway (normal)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »

Subway, but they are so expensive and the population density needed for the benefit makes them impracticle in most of the country. Either way happy that Milwaukee is finally beginning construction on its streetcar this fall.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »

The Green Line from Riverside was my link to Boston in grad school. Red was of no use, or at best for a connection to Harvard or MIT if I couldn't ride my bike. I could sometimes take commuter rail, but the schedule was much less frequent. Interestingly, in the 80's the Green Line to Riverside had newer, nicer cars than the Red.

I guess I'm biased by the CTA as well. Both the Red and Blue line subways surface once they are out of the Loop, and have more stations above ground than below ground. Of course even these lines are collectively referred to as the L even when they aren't elevated.

The aforementioned Boston Green Line is light rail and runs at, above and below grade. It also runs down the middle of the street in places and makes frequent stops. It sure seems like a streetcar to me.

The Chicago Blue Line is heavy rail and runs at, above and below grade. It's only underground for a few stops downtown and at Logan Square, so it's hard to call it a subway. But the Brown Line is above grade the entire way and runs the same heavy rail as runs underground on the Blue Line. I don't think I can call the Brown Line a subway, but it's not a light streetcar either. However, it is a nice way to get to and from Wrigley Field when most everyone is packing the Red Line.

It's obviously hard to define these things strictly.

The L is heavy rail...and runs mostly above grade with the two subways near the loop.  Where it runs at grade it is a dedicated ROW with very few or no at grade crossings...which is the big criterium here.

LRT has become a catchall for hybrid systems that run both like heavy rail and a street car but generally with lighter capacity and frequency than a heavy rail system. 

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »

It's obviously hard to define these things strictly.

The L is heavy rail...and runs mostly above grade with the two subways near the loop.  Where it runs at grade it is a dedicated ROW with very few or no at grade crossings...which is the big criterium here.

LRT has become a catchall for hybrid systems that run both like heavy rail and a street car but generally with lighter capacity and frequency than a heavy rail system. 

I agree that the L is heavy rail. The question is how it should be considered for the poll. It's not a streetcar, but as you note the subway is incidental to the bulk of the L service. Is it "other"?

The Green Line is not heavy rail and most of it is above ground with many parts crossing streets at grade. The downtown part runs underground like a subway. Is it a subway, streetcar or other for the purposes of the poll?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies