How does the GOP change the electoral map in the future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:10:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How does the GOP change the electoral map in the future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does the GOP change the electoral map in the future?  (Read 574 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2016, 02:28:33 PM »

I feel that they need to follow Trump's social views without his inflammatory rhetoric and become more moderate to have a chance in the West (OR, WA, CA) and Northeastern states (MA, NH, CT, NJ), which would probably hurt them in the South a bit but it is probably worth the sacrifice. They should probably try to become more socially moderate, appeal more to urban & suburban voters, and minorities to make certain states more competitive such as IL, WI, & MI.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »

Focus on the Midwest to make up for some inevitable losses in the South (VA and GA come to my mind). And no, the GOP isn't going to win back VA.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »

Focus on the Midwest to make up for some inevitable losses in the South (VA and GA come to my mind). And no, the GOP isn't going to win back VA.

Why can't they?  NOVA was once the most Republican area of the state, it clearly has the potential to swing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

Win the Midwest
Redban

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »

MIDWEST!

PA, WI, MI, and MN have to go their way soon. (Illinois is tricky though)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »

Why can't they?  NOVA was once the most Republican area of the state, it clearly has the potential to swing.

Until Comstock or Tom Davis runs, I doubt counties like Fairfax will vote under 60% D.
uti2

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:03:41 PM »

That was before the great migration into NOVA that started ~a decade ago culminating in Obama. The new NOVA is a socially liberal NE annex, republicans need to give up on social issues to win either NOVA or the NE. You can consider the former an extension of the latter at this point. NOVA now votes like NJ, not the South.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »

That was before the great migration into NOVA that started ~a decade ago culminating in Obama. The new NOVA is a socially liberal NE annex, republicans need to give up on social issues to win either NOVA or the NE. You can consider the former an extension of the latter at this point. NOVA now votes like NJ, not the South.

If they give up on social issues, they lose the social conservatives who stay home.

No, the Pubs are doomed.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »

The GOP isn't going to make any electoral progress without dumping racism and xenophobia. This isn't going to happen soon without a long and bloody war with a large segment of the party.  Given the disorganized state of the party, and how GOP politicians are currently acting (mostly trying to appease Trump), I don't have high hopes for this. 

If this doesn't happen, I'd expect the GOP to remain in the wilderness until generational turnover, both in the sense that younger voters would control the party, and the younger generations of Hispanics would be more integrated and vote more like whites.

The Midwest isn't going to flip by going for whites.  Romney got an unprecedented landslide with white voters and still lost nearly every midwestern state. 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies