How can Clinton win NC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:28:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How can Clinton win NC?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How can Clinton win NC?  (Read 871 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »

I mean why will they turnout more for her than Obama, who was African-American.

Well, gee, I wonder... who was it that brought up that whole birth certificate "Obama is a Kenyan" deal? Hmm...

Obama is of Kenyan descent. But that was Trump and rightfully so because we have the right to question the personal background of our president.

He wasn't questioning his "personal background." He was attempting to delegitimize the incumbent president by using his racial/ethnic background to question his citizenship.

Okay. If Obama didn't believe that was a valid argument then why did he release his birth certificate? Thanks for the great debates as always Arch.

Smiley Thanks. I'm pretty sure we both enjoy them.

Obama released it to spite him and to put the issue to rest among those who actually started to believe Trump. Now, think about it, before Obama, no presidential candidate had his legitimacy questioned on the basis of his race and was asked to release their birth certificate to satisfy the opposition. That alone, sets Trump in such a bad position in the AA community that I can envision him doing just as bad, if not worse, than McCain and/or Romney with AA voters.

Obama didn't just do that, he humiliated Trump to his face later in the week at the Correspondents' Dinner, and then ordered the raid that killed Bin Laden the next night and in doing so made Trump look even more small and petty in comparison.

That was an amazing few days.

The past is irrelevant and is not about Obama & Trump's feuds. This election is about the future, and all that matter now is that Obama is a lame duck president and has struggled to provide leadership for the country.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »

His 50%+ approval rating begs to differ.

Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »

True. But have you seen the polls about the direction of the country?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 10:57:05 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2016, 11:02:26 PM by Arch »

Well, gee, I wonder... who was it that brought up that whole birth certificate "Obama is a Kenyan" deal? Hmm...

Obama is of Kenyan descent. But that was Trump and rightfully so because we have the right to question the personal background of our president.

He wasn't questioning his "personal background." He was attempting to delegitimize the incumbent president by using his racial/ethnic background to question his citizenship.

Okay. If Obama didn't believe that was a valid argument then why did he release his birth certificate? Thanks for the great debates as always Arch.

Obama released it to spite him and to put the issue to rest among those who actually started to believe Trump. Now, think about it, before Obama, no presidential candidate had his legitimacy questioned on the basis of his race and was asked to release their birth certificate to satisfy the opposition. That alone, sets Trump in such a bad position in the AA community that I can envision him doing just as bad, if not worse, than McCain and/or Romney with AA voters.

Obama didn't just do that, he humiliated Trump to his face later in the week at the Correspondents' Dinner, and then ordered the raid that killed Bin Laden the next night and in doing so made Trump look even more small and petty in comparison.

The past is irrelevant and is not about Obama & Trump's feuds. This election is about the future, and all that matter now is that Obama is a lame duck president and has struggled to provide leadership for the country.

He is no lame duck. After November, sure, but before then, no. He has made a significant and positive impact for the most part of these last 8 years, ranging from the normalization of foreign relations with Cuba to overseeing recovery from one of the worst economic disasters in American history to protecting our right to have fair access to internet services, allowing us to have debates such as these.

History matters because, in the context of how the AA community will view and vote in a Trump v Clinton election, it was relatively recent, and they will punish him accordingly at the polls. Not that Hillary isn't appreciated by the community either. It's just that he has a lot more than the favorable view of one candidate going against him. This is without factoring in all the other inflammatory rhetoric he's been using and the disastrous campaign management.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 11:05:13 PM »

He is no lame duck. After November, sure, but before then, no. He has made a significant and positive impact for the most part of these last 8 years, ranging from the normalization of foreign relations with Cuba to overseeing recovery from one of the worst economic disasters in American history to protecting our right to have fair access to internet services, allowing us to have debates such as these.

History matters because, in the context of how the AA community will view and vote in a Trump v Clinton election, it was relatively recent, and they will punish him accordingly at the polls. Not that Hillary isn't appreciated by the community either. It's just that he has a lot more than favorable view of one candidate going against him. This is without factoring in all the other inflammatory rhetoric he's been using and the disastrous campaign management.

The AA community has to make a choice on who they want to give them the best chance to succeed. Will they dwell on the past or look toward a brighter future? Also history does matter, however, it can not dictate nor predict the future accurately. I have to give Obama credit for making us bounce back from the recession but that's about all I give him credit for. The rhetoric has been apart of his campaign for as long as I can remember but that is not likely to change although it can be altered. I think he would be better off staying on message instead of creating disputes. The Cuban Thaw has mixed criticisms but I'm sure Florida will not react to kindly to that.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 11:08:24 PM »

History matters because, in the context of how the AA community will view and vote in a Trump v Clinton election, it was relatively recent, and they will punish him accordingly at the polls. Not that Hillary isn't appreciated by the community either. It's just that he has a lot more than favorable view of one candidate going against him. This is without factoring in all the other inflammatory rhetoric he's been using and the disastrous campaign management.

The AA community has to make a choice on who they want to give them the best chance to succeed. Will they dwell on the past or look toward a brighter future? Also history does matter, however, it can not dictate nor predict the future accurately. I have to give Obama credit for making us bounce back from the recession but that's about all I give him credit for. The rhetoric has been apart of his campaign for as long as I can remember but that is not likely to change although it can be altered. I think he would be better off staying on message instead of creating disputes. The Cuban Thaw has mixed criticisms but I'm sure Florida will not react to kindly to that.

If they didn't go for Bernie on the same basis, they will certainly not go for Trump. From my understanding, the AA community values commitment and history of treatment over promises because the latter is tangible and can be banked on for the future more securely.

Trump had the potential to sell a really good message, but he's banking on soft white nationalism to push it and with no substantive development at that. Unfortunately, that is not a winning strategy in the contemporary U.S., much less the AA community.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »

I will attempt to answer the question

1.  AA support and turnout will probably be at similar levels it was in 08 & 12.  Any differences will likely be small.

2.  The state is continuing to trend Democratic

3.  White college educated voters-  Not talking about the diehards on either side, but the middle of the road political types.  Romney and McCain did have some appeal.  Trump has major problems.  Think of an area like Cary, mostly white, well educated primarily middle to upper middle class swing area with a ton of transplants.  It's going to be absolutely BRUTAL for Trump.  The Triangle is always bad for the GOP, but Trump is going to be absolutely DEMOLISHED there.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »

Maybe, but something my years of observing has taught me, it's clear that despite a general irritation and dissatisfaction, the fact that the President has very good approvals for this point in his term, the Democrats are more popular than the GOP and are leading the generic ballots... this isn't a 2008-like change election. They aren't going to change horses just 'cause reasons.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »

If they didn't go for Bernie on the same basis, they will certainly not go for Trump. From my understanding, the AA community values commitment and history of treatment over promises because the latter is tangible and can be banked on for the future more securely.

Trump had the potential to sell a really good message, but he's banking on soft white nationalism to push it and with no substantive development at that. Unfortunately, that is not a winning strategy in the contemporary U.S., much less the AA community.

They will eventually be tired of being let down with the "history of treatment" that they receive. Welfare reforms will not get them back to work. Creating new jobs to provide for them will. Trump does not need to win the AA vote, only win enough of it while keeping white turnout high in order to succeed.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »

Maybe, but something my years of observing has taught me, it's clear that despite a general irritation and dissatisfaction, the fact that the President has very good approvals for this point in his term, the Democrats are more popular than the GOP and are leading the generic ballots... this isn't a 2008-like change election. They aren't going to change horses just 'cause reasons.

That irritation and dissatisfaction may just be enough to propel the GOP into the White House.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »

[/quote

That irritation and dissatisfaction may just be enough to propel to GOP into the White House.

Bet you it won't.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2016, 11:15:20 PM »

[/quote

That irritation and dissatisfaction may just be enough to propel to GOP into the White House.

Bet you it won't.

Fair enough. It's been a central component of this cycle.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »

Think of an area like Cary, mostly white, well educated primarily middle to upper middle class swing area with a ton of transplants.  It's going to be absolutely BRUTAL for Trump.  The Triangle is always bad for the GOP, but Trump is going to be absolutely DEMOLISHED there.

This is all accurate, but I still wanna know what the hell a Railhawk is.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 01:20:11 AM »

To be perfectly honest, I think the better question is how Obama managed to lose it in 2012.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2016, 01:34:57 AM »

To be perfectly honest, I think the better question is how Obama managed to lose it in 2012.

That is a very good question.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies