IN THE NAME OF ACTIVITY: An Open Letter to the North
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IN THE NAME OF ACTIVITY: An Open Letter to the North
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN THE NAME OF ACTIVITY: An Open Letter to the North  (Read 592 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »

AN  OPEN  LETTER  TO  THE  NORTH

August 16, 2016

In three days time, the voting people of the North will elect the six individuals who will lead our region through the next two months.

This is a momentous choice for our region. The men and women chosen to represent us as the first Governor and Assembly of the North will not only establish the legal code that is the basis for peaceful society, they will - by their actions, their words, their public character - set the tone for all the lawmakers who follow them.

Most of the candidates - regardless of the wisdom of their political positions - are equal to this test of character. They are a healthy mix of veteran lawmakers and fledgling legislators, all seeking to build a region that is as strong and vibrant as the people who call it home.

But two of their number do not live up to this high standard for leadership. I refer, of course, to Spark468 and Danderns.

While Spark and Dan both claim to be Federalist candidates for the Assembly, this is an honor they bear only in name. Spark - despite his regular presence on the rest of the forum - has not posted anything in Atlasia since June 30; Dan has not been seen anywhere on the forum since early July.

Both of these men, though they answer to different names, followed the same pattern: the post announcing their candidacy for the Assembly were the last words they spoke to the Atlasian people.

In this pivotal hour, with the future of the North in the balance, we cannot afford to elect two deadbeat lawmakers to our first Assembly. With a plethora of capable candidates from both parties on the ballot, a vote for either of these men is not only irresponsible, it is blatantly unnecessary.

In the name of activity, I call on the good people of the North, particularly those who share a party with these two layabouts, to heed the words of Senator Tmth (Fed-KS):

Going forward, my number one criteria when voting for candidates will be their record on activity. While my ideal preference is a conservative majority in Congress that is active and gets things done, at this point, I would honestly rather have an active liberal Congress than an inactive conservative Congress, which is what we have now. I hope others take this approach going forward... hold them accountable. If you're an inactive legislator and you decide you're going to run for another term, I'm going to call you out on your activity, and I hope others do the same.

Long Live the Republic,

Secretary of State
Chairman of the Ad-Hoc Committee on the Constitution
Chairman of the Legislative Committee of the North
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »

With all due respect, Mr. Secretary, while I cannot vouch for Mr. Danderns, I can assure you that I have been in contact with Spark498/Tilden's Tea Party regarding Atlasia as recently as this week.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »

How many candidates are currently running for the Northern Assembly?  Are we at 6 yet?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »

A vote for LLR is a vote promising activity in the north!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »

With all due respect, Mr. Secretary, while I cannot vouch for Mr. Danderns, I can assure you that I have been in contact with Spark498/Tilden's Tea Party regarding Atlasia as recently as this week.
Yeah, I'm not talking about PMs or whatever - I'm talking about actually posting on the Fantasy Elections and Fantasy Government boards. Since you are new to Atlasia, you are probably not familiar with in-game standards for etiquette; generally speaking, however, activity is measured by the frequency with which one interacts with the public. It is considered very bad form to campaign entirely through back-channel methods of communication, as this makes it impossible for the electorate to judge your candidacy or know that you're not making different promises to different people. Frankly, I am more disturbed to find that candidates are conducting extensive deliberations behind the scenes without making anything public than I am by the prospect of posters filing to run for office and then loosing interest.

For the record, I'm not inventing this standard out of thin air: past players have been forced to abandon their campaigns for this kind of conduct, and under the Third Constitution it was an impeachable offense for elected officials to go two weeks without making a post on the Fantasy Government board (the current Constitution establishes "negligence" as grounds for impeachment but leaves the definition up to Congress; however, it's safe to assume that going six weeks without making a single post would be enough to get someone kicked out of office).

How many candidates are currently running for the Northern Assembly?  Are we at 6 yet?
Counting our two zombie candidates, there are eight people currently running for the Assembly.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »

Mr. Secretary,

You have presented some legitimate concerns, and they should be taken seriously.  However, I must take issue with, and question, the timing of this release.  It seems as if this is just election week mud-slinging from a party who is desperate for votes.  I have spoken extensively with Mr. Spark (aka Tilden's Tea Party); he has assured me that he will be quite active as a Northern Region Assemblyman. 

In case you missed it, Mr. Spark has discussed a few of the important issues for his campaign. 

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=243653.msg5220220#msg5220220

Clearly, any notion that Mr. Spark will be a nameless and faceless leader is a fallacy at best.  As such, I call on you to retract your mistaken statements. 

Sincerely,

Andrew Jacobs (F-CT)
Candidate for Northern Assembly
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »

There are candidates with poor activity records running from the left and right at the federal and regional levels. These callouts are good - it gives people the kick-in-the-butt they need to go out there and prove why they deserve to be elected instead of just depend on the GOTV-machine. Those who work hard to win are more likely to work hard once they are in office.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »

However, I must take issue with, and question, the timing of this release.
What's there to question? I published this letter because I don't think Spark and Danderns should be elected. Unless you intend to contest the facts of the situation, I don't see the point of this objection.

It seems as if this is just election week mud-slinging from a party who is desperate for votes.
Ha ha. No. First of all, Labor has run inactive candidates in past elections - and I have campaigned against those candidates. This past April, for instance, I was prominent in supporting a conservative independent for Governor of the Northeast after my party unwittingly nominated an incompetent nutjob who was unfit for office. Rest assured that if any of the Labor candidates were running so incompetent a campaign, I would be calling them out too.

Second, there are plenty of credible Federalist candidates for Assembly, as I mentioned in my letter. Yourself, Enduro, and lwp2004 are all excellent choices for voters looking for conservative delegates to send to the Assembly. I might add that since the new Assembly will have five seats, y'all only need three votes for a majority. Federalists voters can support the three active conservatives and leave Spark and Danderns off their ballots without risking a Labor majority.

Third, Labor's candidates don't need my help to win this election. Gass, Clyde, and LLR are all immensely qualified nominees and proven campaigners. I have no doubt that they will do their Region proud.

I have spoken extensively with Mr. Spark (aka Tilden's Tea Party); he has assured me that he will be quite active as a Northern Region Assemblyman. 
That's nice, but actions speak louder than words. Maybe next time Spark will be active for the entire campaign, instead of playing catch-up at the last minute after being called out in public.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »

There are candidates with poor activity records running from the left and right at the federal and regional levels. These callouts are good - it gives people the kick-in-the-butt they need to go out there and prove why they deserve to be elected instead of just depend on the GOTV-machine. Those who work hard to win are more likely to work hard once they are in office.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I have been saying for over a year now that active campaigns are the heart of Atlasia; when the conversation moves behind closed doors, activity and interest evaporate. I hope this letter, and others like it, will provide the wake-up call our lawmakers need to get off their seats and start governing.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2016, 09:08:50 AM by Tilden's Tea Party »

Mr. Secretary,

I would like you to hear directly from the source. I humbly apologize for this entire misunderstanding and I was unaware that recent activity was a requirement. I also would like to confirm that Mr. Jacobs has been in contact with me and also Speaker Kent was in touch. I pledge to be as active as I can throughout the course of the term and will not under any circumstances, abandon the citizens I was elected to serve. It simply was utter ignorance on my part, I hope you will consider this appeal. If it is denied, I will reconsider the long term effects of that decision. I truly desire to serve Atlasia, as our ctizens are in dire need of a true leader.

Best,

Spark498, Northern Assembly Candidate
FairBol
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 08:38:08 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black, then? Before you accuse other parties of inactivity, you should fix activity problems in your own caucus. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe this is just cynicism from someone who has, IRL, been around actual politics, but...I somewhat doubt that. 

I have spoken extensively with Mr. Spark (aka Tilden's Tea Party); he has assured me that he will be quite active as a Northern Region Assemblyman. 
That's nice, but actions speak louder than words. Maybe next time Spark will be active for the entire campaign, instead of playing catch-up at the last minute after being called out in public.

Actions do speak louder than words...but anyway, I can't help but notice you didn't say anything about Spark's issue statement that I linked you to.  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=243653.0

Let's call a spade a spade, so to speak.  Your objection is nothing more than election season politics as usual.  Spark has apologized, and repeatedly said that he will be active.  Both of us have said our piece on this issue.  Now, let's let the voters decide. 

Andrew Jacobs (F-CT)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »

This thread

Candidate doesn't campaign-get's called out, correctly- launches campaign, Fairbol complains that it's somehow unfair. We all knows what's going on here
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 06:09:08 PM »

Ha ha. No. First of all, Labor has run inactive candidates in past elections - and I have campaigned against those candidates. This past April, for instance, I was prominent in supporting a conservative independent for Governor of the Northeast after my party unwittingly nominated an incompetent nutjob who was unfit for office. Rest assured that if any of the Labor candidates were running so incompetent a campaign, I would be calling them out too.
I am not what I consider a conservative by any stretch of the imagination. I will additionally point out that your party didn't unwittingly nominate anyone. SWE was your nominee who was not officially rejected or ejected by your party. Furthermore, your party chair informed me he could not campaign for me because he didn't want a split with his party. Sure, Labor overwhelmingly voted for me, but SWE's campaign was not explicitly repudiated and seriously worried me the entire time because not a single Laborite posted in his thread to denounce him.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:46 AM »

I am not what I consider a conservative by any stretch of the imagination. I will additionally point out that your party didn't unwittingly nominate anyone. SWE was your nominee who was not officially rejected or ejected by your party. Furthermore, your party chair informed me he could not campaign for me because he didn't want a split with his party. Sure, Labor overwhelmingly voted for me, but SWE's campaign was not explicitly repudiated and seriously worried me the entire time because not a single Laborite posted in his thread to denounce him.
I campaigned for you. I endorsed your candidacy and sent PMs on your behalf asking Labor voters to support you over SWE. I can't speak for anyone else, but I was behind your campaign 100%.

Actions do speak louder than words...but anyway, I can't help but notice you didn't say anything about Spark's issue statement that I linked you to.  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=243653.0
I didn't respond to Spark's post because I'm traveling this week (I start college IRL on Monday and have been moving into my dorm today). I was on an official Leave Of Absence from the State Dept today because of that. This is the first chance I've had to check the forum since yesterday. However, I'm glad that Spark has admitted his mistakes and has determined to run a more public campaign going forward.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »

I still am somewhat confused by you calling me a conservative. I hope I haven't offended you here. My intent was only to clarify some of your statements, and I appreciate you doing so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies