Aetna threatened to quit Obamacare if government blocked Humana merger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:05:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Aetna threatened to quit Obamacare if government blocked Humana merger
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Aetna threatened to quit Obamacare if government blocked Humana merger  (Read 1231 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:11:21 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aetna-obamacare-20160817-snap-story.html

Since the feds sued to block the merger, Aetna has reduced participation in Obamacare exchanges to four   states.

Sour Grapes much?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »

This is what happens when you don't go all the way and fail to drop the hammer on the industry titans.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »

This is what happens when you don't go all the way and fail to drop the hammer on the industry titans.

Which is why a single-payer system is vastly superior. No squabbling from insurance companies.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »

Gotta love some good ol' corporate blackmail.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »

Good for Aetna.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »

So denying health coverage just because you can't form a monopolistic trust is good.  How screwed up are your views in life.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »

yeah but Obamacare is ruining America blah blah blah
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »

So denying health coverage just because you can't form a monopolistic trust is good.  How screwed up are your views in life.
No, they are making a fully legal and ethical business decision. Their customers will find new plans, it's not a big deal.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:49 AM »

No, they are making a fully legal and ethical business decision. Their customers will find new plans, it's not a big deal.

WTF?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:03:59 AM »

WTF?
How is it illegal or unethical to exit a market that the company did not find financially viable? There is no need to speculate on the reasoning of their actions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 03:08:12 AM »

There is no need to speculate on the reasoning of their actions.

Oh really?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 05:57:19 AM »

WTF?
How is it illegal or unethical to exit a market that the company did not find financially viable? There is no need to speculate on the reasoning of their actions.
They were making money in these markets.  They only left as repubution for not getting what they want.  Did you not read the damn articles about this and only wanted to make some stupid political point which no one cares about.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 06:16:27 AM »

WTF?
They were making money in these markets.  They only left as repubution for not getting what they want.  Did you not read the damn articles about this and only wanted to make some stupid political point which no one cares about.

Generally speaking businesses do like to get what they want yes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »

WTF?
Businesses have finite resources and book profits alone do not determine a business' decisions.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 08:31:11 AM »

WTF?
Businesses have finite resources and book profits alone do not determine a business' decisions.
No they don't, but leaving a market for not getting your way is low.  And you trying to defend it is sad of you. 
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »

One of the states Aetna is pulling out of is Pennsylvania, which by all accounts, looks to have been profitable:

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2016/08/17/aetna-cynicism-and-pennsylvania/
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »

No, they are making a fully legal and ethical business decision.

Blackmail and lying to investors is ethical?  Wow.  Must be some of those "family values" the party of Trump is always going on about.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »

Even if we are to believe Aetna quitting Obamacare is an "ethical business decision", this is just further proof of how unethical our healthcare system is. We have a select group of top insurance companies (Aetna, United Healthcare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, etc, etc) deciding the fate of who receives affordable healthcare. It's absolutely embarrassing. Of all the issues, this gets me most mad because our politicians take $$$ from these crooks, and are complicit in putting Americans in more debt.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »

I'm more concerned about Jerry's emotional wellbeing then I am the corporate practices of Aetna TBH.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »

I'm more concerned about Jerry's emotional wellbeing then I am the corporate practices of Aetna TBH.
Why, because I'm arguing with someone over something I find reprehensible. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 12:55:22 PM »

Because your immediate response is to basically start yelling.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 12:58:31 PM »

Because your immediate response is to basically start yelling.
What I posted isn't yelling, but ok.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 12:41:40 AM »

Something about a pot and a kettle comes to mind here .
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »

If Aetna can so cavalierly discard Obamacare over not getting what they want, that says something about Obamacare as a market.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies