Will Trump get working class voters & Hillary college educated voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:46:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Trump get working class voters & Hillary college educated voters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will Trump get working class voters & Hillary college educated voters?  (Read 1313 times)
Desroko
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »

In this country we generally define "working-class" as "less than a bachelor's degree", which is an imperfect measure - there's no well-defined sense of class like in some other countries, and no ABCD social strata scheme.

That said, Obama, won both "college graduate" and "not college graduate" categories in 2012 and 2008.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »

Yep. More and more, I think that the realignment we will see over the next ten years will fall cleanly into the two camps of smart and dumb. I don't apologize for painting it that way, either. The scary thing is, it means dumb will win half the time on average. What happens then?

I love how white working class voters are idiots but minority working class voters just don't count in your mind. Post trump educated whites will vote republican like they always have. The GOP cannot win by being just the working class white party. Unless you think minorities are going to move their way or you think the dems are going to have a permanent majority, the GOP will go back to appealing to educated whites.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »

In this country we generally define "working-class" as "less than a bachelor's degree", which is an imperfect measure - there's no well-defined sense of class like in some other countries, and no ABCD social strata scheme.

That said, Obama, won both "college graduate" and "not college graduate" categories in 2012 and 2008.

I'm pretty sure Romney won college grads, didn't he...?
Desroko
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 09:58:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure Romney won college grads, didn't he...?

Romney won bachelor's only by a small margin, and Obama won postgraduate by a landslide. Averaged out to a 2-pt Obama lead among all college graduates.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president/

I can check census data later to see if it disagrees.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »

Wasn't sure, I trust your findings.  Either way, a winning Republican nationally would win college grads, as would a winning Democrat under normal circumstances.
Desroko
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »

Wasn't sure, I trust your findings.  Either way, a winning Republican nationally would win college grads, as would a winning Democrat under normal circumstances.

True.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 12:26:59 AM »

WWC Democrats still very much exist, but they are probably the most silent of any voting group.

How does this forum even define "WWC Democrats"? I'm pretty sure I'd fit this definition, yet multiple people here call me an elitist latte liberal because I bash racist hicks. Roll Eyes

According to many people here, you can only be a "white male working class Democrat" if you're a Santander clone...either his past or present incarnation.

It's based on income level, occupation, and family or cultural background. Either one or a combination of the three.

I make $11/hour doing manual labor in the backroom at Target, my mother is a secretary, and my stepdad is a security guard. So yeah, I'm fairly sure I'd fit this definition.

Of course, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that most Atlasians from their ivory towers think all the little people are equivalent to racist hicks, and that if you bash them, you MUST implicitly be a classist elitist who hates all working class whites. "Bashing racist hicks vs. bashing the white working class? What's the difference?!" says Marie Antonionette and Thomas XVI of Illinois.

The irony is thick and the projection is real.

How dare you.  I'm the first of my name.

LOL, nice, though I was hoping for a more substantive reply considering the caricature you had of me in your head. Wink

Do be fair, most of your posts sound like you're wearing a monocle.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »

Also worth noting is that the "status" of being "a college grad" has changed a lot over time and will continue to change.  The Americans who made up the college graduate population in the 1980s was a lot wealthier and a LOT Whiter than the group is now.  Saying "Reagan won postgrads" should not conjur up images of academics and psychologists voting for him, haha.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies