Valls: The Burkini is incompatible with French values
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:26:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Valls: The Burkini is incompatible with French values
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Valls: The Burkini is incompatible with French values  (Read 3031 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »

I live in Zell am See, which is a MAGNET for Arabs from the Gulf (thanks, Zell am See tourism department).

Last year, there were 1 million visits from the Arabs, many of them also from very conservative places like Saudi Arabia.

So, I'm pretty used already seeing them on the streets around here. The summer months are extremely horrible (but not just because of the veiled Arabs, but also because of the annoying Germans and the Dutch who crowd the streets. The last weeks were terrible on the road, especially when it's raining. Traffic. Traffic. TRAFFIC !).

ITT: casual racism.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »

I wonder about the situation of Sikhs in France. Are their turbans considered a religious or ethnic clothes?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »

I live in Zell am See, which is a MAGNET for Arabs from the Gulf (thanks, Zell am See tourism department).

Last year, there were 1 million visits from the Arabs, many of them also from very conservative places like Saudi Arabia.

So, I'm pretty used already seeing them on the streets around here. The summer months are extremely horrible (but not just because of the veiled Arabs, but also because of the annoying Germans and the Dutch who crowd the streets. The last weeks were terrible on the road, especially when it's raining. Traffic. Traffic. TRAFFIC !).

ITT: casual racism.

Racist against the Arabs, the Germans, the Dutch ?

Tongue

More like anti-tourist. I'm just annoyed at the swamp of tourists in the area right now. For a 5-minute drive in April you now wait 20-30 minutes in the city to get to your destination because of these stupid tourists. Dutch and German drivers (especially old ones) who drive 30 miles per hour on a 50 mph road ! Arab tourists are the worst: most of them don't know what a STOP sign means. Recently, a driver crashed into a train here and his family in the car got badly hurt because he didn't know the huge red STOP sign. One Arab driver overtook cars in the Zell am See tunnel ! Another drove along with his car at the pedestrian lakeside promenade !!!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

FTR:

If I walk from work to the supermarket during my lunch break, I probably bump into 20 veiled Arab tourist women on the way.

I don't mind them, I'm really used to them already, but I simply don't understand how they can stand being fully veiled when it has 30°C outside (100°F) ...

I think I'd kill myself running around with these veils and thick clothes the whole day.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »

I wonder about the situation of Sikhs in France. Are their turbans considered a religious or ethnic clothes?

I'm not sure, but my guess is that it would be considered religious clothing, at least for the purpose of the 2004 law. So it would probably be banned in schools. I might be wrong though.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »

They're actually probably cooler in their coverings than you are in shorts and a t-shirt.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 03:45:51 PM »

FTR:

If I walk from work to the supermarket during my lunch break, I probably bump into 20 veiled Arab tourist women on the way.

I don't mind them, I'm really used to them already, but I simply don't understand how they can stand being fully veiled when it has 30°C outside (100°F) ...

I think I'd kill myself running around with these veils and thick clothes the whole day.

If they are Arab transplants, I doubt they'd be sweating too much at 30 degrees...
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 04:39:32 AM »

Shockingly the first time I saw one was in Europe, Arab women here go the beach with fashionable bikinis.
I'm not a fan on them but I can't see how this ban could be enforced
swl
France

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 02:42:47 AM »

In my opinion salafism and its symbols should be banned. French laws allows to ban dangerous ideologies, such as Nazism. It's telling that North African countries have been the most undertanding of France in this whole thing, in particular Algeria who experienced first hand what it is to have Salafi-jihadists killing tens of thousands because that were not Muslim enough.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies