Obama golfs while Louisiana sinks..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:02:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama golfs while Louisiana sinks..........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Obama golfs while Louisiana sinks..........  (Read 5439 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »

Didn't the Republicans try to pass a Zika bill that the Democrats blocked because it didn't allocate money to Planned Parenthood, or something?

Presumably you are posting a lie.  Why would a Zika bill fund Planned Parenthood?

It behoves women in affected areas to prevent themselves from getting pregnant due to the risk of birth defects should they be infected while pregnant.

Of course, rather than use birth control (or god forbid, the A-word), Republicans would rather women become pregnant, give birth to deformed babies who need lifetimes of care and then proceed to live lives of poverty as the Republicans steadfastly refuse to provide any financial assistance or healthcare.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »

Getting side tracked.

If you want to discuss Zika, start another thread.

This thread is to discuss Obama's refusal to even show his personal concern for the devastation and for the devastated people in Louisiana by paying a personal visit.

When Louisiana was hit by Hurricane Betsy in 1965, after talking with Louisiana Senator Russell  Long, President Lyndon Johnson paid a personal visit to Louisiana, assured them the federal government is doing everything possible, which the people of Louisiana greatly appreciated, because they knew that the President himself cared enough to pay them a personal visit, and the people felt reassured.

That's all they are asking for in 2016.

That is not too much to ask.  
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »

This man is so irresponsible...
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 09:44:20 PM »

Well Trump and Pence are going to volunteer done in Baton Rogue tomorrow.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »

I guess it would be better if he flew his plane over the flood victims?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »

The pictures from New Orleans after Katrina were of desperate people lacking food water, no electricity, massive heat, waiting for buses to get them the hell out there.

This is what the the shelters in Baton Rouge holding those flooded out look like:

Teams of volunteers hurried around the sprawling movie studio, which has transformed since the weekend into a bustling community now referred to as "Celticville." A beauty salon, veterinary clinic and free stops of donated items have sprung up inside the giant soundstages that once housed sets for productions like "The Fantastic Four" and "Twilight: Breaking Dawn."

Chefs with barbecue pits have served up hundreds of pounds of smoked meat to hungry residents and volunteers lead yoga classes, organize art activities and watch children pedaling through big wheel courses in the complex. Just before noon Wednesday, one volunteer announces a truck from a local Smoothie King franchise is parked at the front gate, passing out smoothies to anyone who wants one.

http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana_flood_2016/article_bd232ee0-64c8-11e6-a2a2-a3b3f761e55b.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

Obviously, there is a difference in scale of damage to the infrastructure that the OP has no ability to comprehend.  Yes, there is quite a bit of work to be done, and it won't be cheap, it won't be easy,  but  already there are more than 70,000 people have been able to file with FEMA.   There is a functioning infrastructure that enables people to get back to their houses and work to be done. The professionals are there doing their job and volunteers are able to do their thing.

In short, the OP can take his OP and shove it.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 10:32:03 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2016, 10:33:57 PM by IceSpear »

Outdated number, but still:

Winfield posts on Atlas forum instead of helping Louisiana flooding victims? Where are his priorities?! SAD!

Outrageous. After all, a REPUBLICAN President displayed exemplary reflex and care during the previous disaster in Louisiana.

I guess he's supposed to go to Louisiana and magically part the water like Moses or something. Roll Eyes

Looks like Republicans are very lazy and hate to work. They need to get off the government dole already!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 10:33:13 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-evacuation-urged-louisiana-community-41478191

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There you have it folks. The honorable JBE has spoken.

But seriously, this is a pathetic level of criticism, even by modern Obama-hating Republican standards. There is a legitimate argument in not visiting right now, especially considering such a visit serves no truly useful purpose. He would tie up resources they need at the moment.

It's also a testament to how people reach for any little thing they can complain about when the opposition party currently holds the White House.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »

Well Trump and Pence are going to volunteer done in Baton Rogue tomorrow.

I for one, look forward to pictures of Trump tearing out waterlogged sheetrock with a fork and knife.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 10:58:08 PM »

Ooh, good point. Hadn't considered this.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »

Oh my, my, aren't we testy today.

But that's pretty bad when Trump beats him to the punch.

So attack me with your juvenile accusations, your bitter vitriol, and your ridiculous sarcasm, I don't really care.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 12:34:15 AM »

So attack me with your juvenile accusations, your bitter vitriol, and your ridiculous sarcasm, I don't really care.

or your recommendations of the state's governor. or the to notch professional reponse F4MA has given without hack leadership. Winfield really doesn't care! he'll find any double standard available to convince himself voting for Trump is "the only alternative".
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 01:03:46 AM »

Winfield really doesn't care! he'll find any double standard available to convince himself voting for Trump is "the only alternative".
So are you voting for Kang or Kodos?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 01:36:50 AM »

So, it's all about a photo-op, not actually offering any help (as noted, the presidential visit would consume resources and manpower needed to handle the emergency)?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 01:41:52 AM »

Lord knows, what the people of Baton Rouge need is a massive distraction and diversion of resources.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2016, 04:34:04 AM »

Didn't the Republicans try to pass a Zika bill that the Democrats blocked because it didn't allocate money to Planned Parenthood, or something?

That doesn't sound like how Democrats usually approach lawmaking.

Do you mean that the bill merely did not appropriate additional funding, or would it actually have directly or indirectly cut existing funds? If the latter, it's Republicans and Republicans alone who are to blame.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »

I don't recall any such excuses being made for Bush in 2005. But now that one of your own is in office, you're falling over yourselves to "understand" Obama's actions, or lack thereof.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 07:55:54 AM »

Do you people not see your hypocrisy? Are you so blind?!

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/08/hurricane-katrina-george-w-bush-new-orleans

http://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2015/08/28/hurricane-katrina-was-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-george-w-bush

Goodness gracious, people. Really? Really?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »

New Orleans didn't need George Bush here, it needed a capable federal response to an overwhelming problem and they didn't get it and people got fired, most famously Mike "your doing a heck of a job" Brownie. 

The biggest complaint about FEMA thus far in Baton Rouge is that they are taking up too many hotel rooms (FEMA has 1100 people in the area at this point) and that will be remedied when the floating "Hotel" arrives.  Nobody is getting fired over the handling of the Baton Rouge floods nor should they, and granted it's a much easier problem to work than Katrina.

Maybe I'm too much of a technocrat, but these posters getting all wrapped up in symbolism just seem to be utilizing their heads as a butt plug. 
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »

I don't recall any such excuses being made for Bush in 2005

It's never too late.  What is your excuse for this...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/03/brown.fema.emails/
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »

No one "wants" to discuss Zika.  But when 7 TRILLION gallons of water gets dumped on a hot humid Louisiana in the middle of August the topic kinda comes up.  At least for people that aren't idiots and understand sciency things.

Louisiana Governor asked for the President to delay a trip to Louisiana.  Law enforcement is busy at the moment apparently one or two things has come up.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »

Cute, but no.

Bush's error wasn't that he didn't show up, it was that he put someone completely unqualified in as FEMA director and they botched the response. There's no suggestion that they're not getting the resouces they need now.

I've ALWAYS been of the view the people like the President and the dramas they bring need to stay away from active disaster zones and not divert resources from those who need it.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »

No one "wants" to discuss Zika.  But when 7 TRILLION gallons of water gets dumped on a hot humid Louisiana in the middle of August the topic kinda comes up.  At least for people that aren't idiots and understand sciency things.

Louisiana Governor asked for the President to delay a trip to Louisiana.  Law enforcement is busy at the moment apparently one or two things has come up.

The CDC doesn't seem too worried about the flood adding to any Zika issue, and trust me, everything around here is water.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2016, 09:58:32 AM »

The CDC doesn't seem too worried about the flood adding to any Zika issue...

There is definitely concern about an increase in the mosquito population and possibly in the mosquito population that carries Zika.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/08/14/flooding-might-increase-zika-risk-louisiana/88724914/
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2016, 10:28:33 AM by Signora Ophelia Maraschina, Mafia courtesan »

That doesn't sound like how Democrats usually approach lawmaking.

Do you mean that the bill merely did not appropriate additional funding, or would it actually have directly or indirectly cut existing funds? If the latter, it's Republicans and Republicans alone who are to blame.

It's the former being disingenuously spun as the latter, but apparently it’s a bullsh**t pretext anyway and there are other, much more reasonable reasons why the Democrats are opposing the bill. (Yes, I know it’s Forbes, but it was hard for me to find a source that didn’t have either a hysterical pro-choice spin or a hysterical pro-life spin.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies