Obama golfs while Louisiana sinks..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:14:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama golfs while Louisiana sinks..........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Obama golfs while Louisiana sinks..........  (Read 5442 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »

The CDC doesn't seem too worried about the flood adding to any Zika issue...

There is definitely concern about an increase in the mosquito population and possibly in the mosquito population that carries Zika.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/08/14/flooding-might-increase-zika-risk-louisiana/88724914/

The next two sentences from that article:

There's a monitoring program in place and a plan for response if monitoring shows anything.  Personally, I would not like to be sprayed with any additional chemicals unless absolutely necessary.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »

The CDC doesn't seem too worried about the flood adding to any Zika issue...

There is definitely concern about an increase in the mosquito population and possibly in the mosquito population that carries Zika.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/08/14/flooding-might-increase-zika-risk-louisiana/88724914/

The next two sentences from that article:

There's a monitoring program in place and a plan for response if monitoring shows anything.  Personally, I would not like to be sprayed with any additional chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

Who said spraying with chemicals is the only solution?  They have this new invention called vaccines.

Remember this is the disease that kills babies and leaves others with a wide spectrum of life long cognitive deficits.  I was just at a meeting about this and I can say with 100% confidence you internet warriors have no idea what you are talking about.  There is scant information about the current circulating stain of Zika and the experts are really worried about the lackadaisical response from multiple corners of society.

Remember many countries in South and Central America achieved complete eradication of the mosquito that carries Zika.  The United States as usual dropped the ball and allowed a reservoir Aedes aegypti to persist.  Think about it.  Brazil, yes that Brazil, eradicated Aedes aegypti decades ago, but the United States just couldn't get their act together.  Now North and South America are infested with the mosquito.

I would much rather the Republicans send a clean Zika funding bill to the president's desk than have President Obama fly to Baton Rouge in a 747.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »

Winfield really doesn't care! he'll find any double standard available to convince himself voting for Trump is "the only alternative".

I am terribly sorry, but I really must correct you.

You clearly have never read anything I have said about Trump during the course of this campaign.  I have been very critical of Trump, not totally, but mostly, and have been enthusiastically advocating for his defeat.

So no, I do not view Trump as the only alternative.  In fact, I really do not see him as a good alternative at all.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 11:20:41 AM »

CNN is reporting on the Trump Pence visit to Louisiana that someone, presumably a resident of Louisiana, said that Obama is too busy trying to bring his golf game up to par so he does not have the time to visit Louisiana.

This was reported by Ashleigh Banfield during her show on Friday.

I believe many residents of Louisiana feel this way.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »

CNN is reporting on the Trump Pence visit to Louisiana that someone, presumably a resident of Louisiana, said that Obama....

Someone is Louisiana doesn't like Obama?!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »

Well that ends that, right?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »

CNN is reporting on the Trump Pence visit to Louisiana that someone, presumably a resident of Louisiana, said that Obama is too busy trying to bring his golf game up to par so he does not have the time to visit Louisiana.

I can say that no they don't.  But thanks for you amazing input.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »

Well, as someone who lives here, I care about results and view your opinion as ignorant and worthless.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »

Tut,  tut, now aren't we just a tad bit overboard with our comments?

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »

I don't recall any such excuses being made for Bush in 2005. But now that one of your own is in office, you're falling over yourselves to "understand" Obama's actions, or lack thereof.

The problem with Bush was that he put a political hack in charge of FEMA and told him he was doing a "heckuva job" when he completely screwed up and should have been fired.

FEMA is doing its job here. Democrats, unlike Republicans, do not seek to prove that government can't do anything right.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »

He's an early report of the Donald's visit

http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana_flood_2016/article_c30c8178-661a-11e6-81c9-3f4b02af0c03.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

I hope this guy doesn't need to hire help to gut his house.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »

Totally from a non-optics point of view, I wonder if it would mean more to people to see the President in Louisiana than a totally efficient FEMA response. I wonder if psychologically its just more satisfying to people to see their leaders seeming to do things even if nothing is happening.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »

This reminds me of one of the West Wing episodes in which the President visits a disaster-striken area in Oklahoma and prolongs his stay "to help", eventually becoming a nuisance.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2016, 01:42:40 PM »

This reminds me of one of the West Wing episodes in which the President visits a disaster-striken area in Oklahoma and prolongs his stay "to help", eventually becoming a nuisance.

Are you talking about The West Wing, or Update?
[/quote]

The former. No President so far visited a disaster named Bushie.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2016, 01:57:55 PM »

I believe with just two weeks to go before the 2012 election, that Obama, up for re-election by the way, conveniently found time to pay a personal visit to New Jersey during the devastating floods that struck New Jersey.

Yet since the 2016 election is not until November, and since he is not up for re-election, he can find no time to visit Louisiana.

I see a pattern developing here.  If it's politically expedient, he will visit during a disaster for a photo op.  If he sees no advantage in it for him, it goes on the back burner for a possible later visit.

And where is Hillary in all of this?  Probably back home erasing e-mails and transferring 600,000 dollars from the Clinton Foundation bank account to Chelsea.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2016, 01:58:47 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2016, 02:01:08 PM by Virginia »

People don't think rationally. They want to see Obama there in pictures because to a lot of folks that seems to better assure them that he is doing something about it, rather than acknowledging that he is making resources available to the state to handle this problem.

This discussion is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. It's essentially centered around photo ops, when it should be whether or not Obama is providing adequate help. Whether or not he visits the state right away is completely and utterly irrelevant and seems like an argument only worthwhile to conservatives who want something to bash Obama with, perhaps to take their minds off being humiliated for the past year by The Orange One (or not, I just wanted to throw that insult in there for no particular reason)

-

@Winfield: Why does it seem like all you care about here is a photo op? That's really all a visit will serve as. Everything important can be handled from afar just fine. Photo ops can wait.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »

The visit of the President should be much more than a photo op.

It is to let the people know, on a personal basis, that THEIR President is making sure that everything possible is being done for them.

A personal visit reassures people of that.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »

I believe with just two weeks to go before the 2012 election, that Obama, up for re-election by the way, conveniently found time to pay a personal visit to New Jersey during the devastating floods that struck New Jersey.

Yet since the 2016 election is not until November, and since he is not up for re-election, he can find no time to visit Louisiana.

Stop posting lies.  He is going there Tuesday.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/obama-louisiana-flooding-visit-227209
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »

Stop with the self-righteousness. This was just announced, maybe just an hour ago.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »

Stop with the self-righteousness. This was just announced, maybe just an hour ago.

And the governor already went on national TV and said he preferred Obama to come at a later date before the OBAMA ISN"T GOING TO LOUISIANA lie was posted.  So please stop the partisan hackery.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »

Stop with the wild, ridiculous accusations.

The White House only announced that Obama would be going to Louisiana today, Friday, August 19, 2016, after Trump and Pence led the way. 

About time.

He is only going after Trump and Pence went there, and after much criticism online and in the press, and a full day after I started this topic on this forum.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2016, 07:10:46 PM »

And the governor already went on national TV and said he preferred Obama to come at a later date before the OBAMA ISN"T GOING TO LOUISIANA lie was posted.  So please stop the partisan hackery.

Ryanair!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2016, 07:19:58 PM »

Exactly, another faux outrage.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »

I really thought Winfield was becoming reasonable but this shows he's happy to hype up out of context situations to make a political hack point.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2016, 08:01:33 PM »

So by your definition, someone who believes the President should show up personally at one of the most devastating disasters in U.S. history, and give comfort, encouragement and assurance to the victims, is playing the political hack card

THEN DEAL      ME      IN!      (to paraphrase Hillary)

(And I began this discussion a full day before the White House announced that Obama would be going to Louisiana)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies