Why is Clinton underperforming in Nevada and Iowa?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:42:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why is Clinton underperforming in Nevada and Iowa?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is Clinton underperforming in Nevada and Iowa?  (Read 3096 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »

Interested to hear any explanations or #analysis for this...
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »

Muh uneducated white folk
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »

Because of the stupids.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:44:01 AM »

Iowa is more religious, and more uneducated.

Trump is somewhat, kinda well known in Nevada I guess.   Although that alone doesn't explain it.    They also have more uneducated whites than Colorado does.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »

Polls in Nevada are notoriously bad. People thought McCain could win Nevada in 2008, and that Obama would surely do better in Colorado, Virginia, and Pennsylvania than Nevada. We saw how that turned out. People thought Reid was going to lose in 2010, since he was consistently polling a few points behind Angle. He won by 5.5. People also thought Nevada was an ultratight swing state in 2012, and it turned out to be... not that close. Obama won it by more than every other swing state except Wisconsin. While Dean Heller did manage to hold on in 2012 (thanks to a flawed opponent), he won by much less than the polls suggested. People often counter this example with 2014, but Democrats didn't lift a finger to contest the gubernatorial race in Nevada that year, and Sandoval is extremely popular, even among the Latinos, the group that pollsters struggle with in Nevada (so if they were missing Latino voters, it didn't result in the same Republican bias it has in other years.) I stand by my prediction that Hillary will comfortably win Nevada, and everyone will be shocked AGAIN that Nevada didn't end up being close, even though the polls showed it to be. Roll Eyes

As for Iowa, a few things could be at play here. Iowa could be trending Republican, given how poorly Democrats did in 2014. It could also be that Trump is benefiting from the fact that there are very few minorities in Iowa, and this might be the year that Iowa's demographics catch up to it a bit. (We're not seeing that in New England or the PNW, since whites in those regions vote different from whites in the Midwest.) It could also be that Hillary will do fine in Iowa as well, since Iowa is a state where ground game is crucial. That's one of the big reasons why Obama always did so well in Iowa, and was perhaps a reason why Cruz managed to upset Trump there in the caucus. Perhaps, in some of these smaller states where organization really makes a huge difference, polls are understating Hillary's advantage. Or, it could be a combination of the three.

If Hillary wins by 6 or 7 points nationally, she'll almost certainly win Iowa (though maybe not by a lot), and she'll cruise by in Nevada.
Redban

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:07 AM »

NEVADA:

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/32

Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2010-2014
22.5%

IOWA:

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/19

26.4%

In contrast, Virginia and Colorado are around 36-37%.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »

I love the poorly educated.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »

Nevada makes me worry a little worried about assuming New Mexico is going for Clinton without much polling.
john cage bubblegum

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »

NEVADA:

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/32

22.5%

IOWA:

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/19

26.4%

In contrast, Virginia and Colorado are around 36-37%.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »

Nevada makes me worry a little worried about assuming New Mexico is going for Clinton without much polling.

Johnson will play a significant factor there as well.

Nevada does not have as stable of a population as many states; lots of people moving in and out of the state. Also, polling of Hispanics still leaves something to be desired depending on the pollster.

Iowa might not be a bad state for Trump. Pence is a good fit for the state.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 12:52:47 PM »

Its all about white people without college degrees.
JMT

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »

Polls in Nevada are notoriously bad. People thought McCain could win Nevada in 2008, and that Obama would surely do better in Colorado, Virginia, and Pennsylvania than Nevada. We saw how that turned out. People thought Reid was going to lose in 2010, since he was consistently polling a few points behind Angle. He won by 5.5. People also thought Nevada was an ultratight swing state in 2012, and it turned out to be... not that close. Obama won it by more than every other swing state except Wisconsin. While Dean Heller did manage to hold on in 2012 (thanks to a flawed opponent), he won by much less than the polls suggested. People often counter this example with 2014, but Democrats didn't lift a finger to contest the gubernatorial race in Nevada that year, and Sandoval is extremely popular, even among the Latinos, the group that pollsters struggle with in Nevada (so if they were missing Latino voters, it didn't result in the same Republican bias it has in other years.) I stand by my prediction that Hillary will comfortably win Nevada, and everyone will be shocked AGAIN that Nevada didn't end up being close, even though the polls showed it to be. Roll Eyes

As for Iowa, a few things could be at play here. Iowa could be trending Republican, given how poorly Democrats did in 2014. It could also be that Trump is benefiting from the fact that there are very few minorities in Iowa, and this might be the year that Iowa's demographics catch up to it a bit. (We're not seeing that in New England or the PNW, since whites in those regions vote different from whites in the Midwest.) It could also be that Hillary will do fine in Iowa as well, since Iowa is a state where ground game is crucial. That's one of the big reasons why Obama always did so well in Iowa, and was perhaps a reason why Cruz managed to upset Trump there in the caucus. Perhaps, in some of these smaller states where organization really makes a huge difference, polls are understating Hillary's advantage. Or, it could be a combination of the three.

If Hillary wins by 6 or 7 points nationally, she'll almost certainly win Iowa (though maybe not by a lot), and she'll cruise by in Nevada.

Pretty spot on analysis, in my opinion.
Present
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »

Iowa is pretty simple.  It's a whole bunch of Midwest white people which is essentially one of Trump's main group of supporters.  It's a state that Trump should be doing pretty well in.
Nevada... perhaps they are gambling on Trump since, if he wins, they'll receive more money from their bets?  In all seriousness, there's a Trump tower there which certainly doesn't hurt.  Other than that, I really don't know why it's so close there especially since Donald has such large problems in Colorado and even Utah.  Maybe, the polling is erroneous.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »

Are black people without college degrees stupids or just people who don't agree with you?
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2016, 02:19:59 PM by Wiz in Wis »

NM has both more Latinos and highly educated Whites than NV
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »

At this point, I feel confident that Hillary can/will take Nevada.
But Iowa does worry me.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 03:02:50 PM »

Both states are difficult to poll.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »

For Nevada it might be bad or difficult state polling. In Iowa, I think it actually is in play more because not only is it super white and has lower than average college graduates, but also lack of large metropolitan areas in Iowa. Even Des Moines, the biggest city with 200K, doesn't have massive amounts of suburbs like Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, and others do.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »

Both states are difficult to poll.

Iowa is not that difficult to poll.  Pollsters have plenty of experience polling Iowa caucuses every 4 years.  Polling for a general election is much easier than polling for a caucus.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »

Nevada is difficult to poll.

Don't know about Iowa. Maybe Obama should campaign there.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »

Nevada ALWAYS undereggs the Dems due to Latino under-polling. I'm not concerned about NV. IA worries me simply because it has a majority of whites being without a college degree and it's a massively white state, so I expect it to be much much closer than the rest of the Midwest.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 10:11:03 PM »

Can we all agree that even with the Latino polling lag in NV plus Hillary very likely winning it in the end, the numbers are still closer than they should be?

IA will definitely trend GOP this year, but unless Trump turns the national numbers to AT LEAST a close race, he ain't taking the state.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 10:14:23 PM »

Can we all agree that even with the Latino polling lag in NV plus Hillary very likely winning it in the end, the numbers are still closer than they should be?

IA will definitely trend GOP this year, but unless Trump turns the national numbers to AT LEAST a close race, he ain't taking the state.

Yes. But again, the combination of Latino polling issues and whites without degrees trending R, makes the weakness make sense.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »

Perhaps they are, and maybe undereducated white voters are helping Trump there. Still, I can't imagine Hillary winning it by less than 5 or 6.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 11:12:17 PM »

At this point, I feel confident that Hillary can/will take Nevada.
But Iowa does worry me.

That is my take as well.  The tendency for Democrats to underpoll in Nevada due to the transitory and large Spanish-speaking Latino population has happened in several cycles now so it is likely happening for Clinton as well.  Clinton defeated both Obama (2008) and Sanders (2016) in Nevada by solid margins, suggesting she has pull in the state.

Iowa is an almost entirely white state and that white population is largely working class.  That puts the demographics right in Trump's wheelhouse.  And Clinton has not shown any real strength in Iowa in her past races here, finishing an embarrassing third in 2008 and edging past Sanders in 2016 by an almost nonexistent margin.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies