Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:48:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil  (Read 2739 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2016, 04:36:56 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2016, 04:38:48 PM by #FreeMelania »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCAKCN10T07K

A bunch of globe trotting pricks.  These people make me feel ashamed to be an American.  All the US media outlets were telling us what a disaster the games were going to be and when they went really well some American dicks decided to make up an awful story about Brazil.

No wonder other countries hate our guts.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »

The Olympics are lame. Leave them there to send a message, half of these athletes think the games are a state sponsored vacation judging by the village stories I hear every four years.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:48:59 AM »

Yes, because Brazil is a corruption-free haven with unimpeachable due process standards. Roll Eyes
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 06:04:34 AM »

Are you intentionally trying to antagonize people? Because I don't see why you had to bring white privilege into this.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »

Yes, because abandoning our athletes in a foreign country over a fairly minor crime would go over just great with recruiting athletes for the next Olympics.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »

Brazil certainly has enough problems without a bunch of drunken bro's adding to it. The last swimmer still in Brazil  has paid his "fine" and now is getting out. 

As for the most famous bro, Ryan Lochte.  This is the kind of genius who was trying to trick the police:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/celebrities_gossip/Remember-when-Good-Day-Philadelphia-mocked-Ryan-Lochte.html
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2016, 09:49:34 AM by Pandaguineapig »

This was pretty stupid for them to do and probably will ruin their athletic careers, but let's not pretend that Rio isn't probably the worst place in the world the Olympics could be held at right now besides Syria or the Congo
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »

Yes, because Brazil is a corruption-free haven with unimpeachable due process standards. Roll Eyes

They were held for 24 hrs and were let go after making a donation to a children's charity.  Ooohhh... big scary brown people justice!!!

Wow these aholes sh-t all over a wonderful host country and the reaction is to pile on even more BS.

You have to wonder how many of my fellow Americans were congealed in the same cesspool that breed Lochte.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »

They were held for 24 hrs and were let go after making a donation to a children's charity.  Ooohhh... big scary brown people justice!!!

Wow these aholes sh-t all over a wonderful host country and the reaction is to pile on even more BS.

You have to wonder how many of my fellow Americans were congealed in the same cesspool that breed Lochte.
These athletes are scrum but no need to pretend the country does not have a disease, crime, or corruption problem
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »

Has the OP actually denied that Brazil has problems? because it seems to me that a lot of people on this thread are imagining it.

I mean, what does the country having crime has to do with this people making a mess and making a completely false story? Of course, crime, as in lots of other Latin American countries is a highly media inflated problem, especially for foreigners. Brazil already has a lot of bad press with stuff that actually happens, adding to it with lies is pretty awful.

And lol at the guy saying that only Syria and Congo are worst places to host olympic games. I would normally take the comment as an hyperbolic joke, but it's guineapig we are talking about, so it's probably a serious post
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »

Has the OP actually denied that Brazil has problems? because it seems to me that a lot of people on this thread are imagining it.

I mean, what does the country having crime has to do with this people making a mess and making a completely false story? Of course, crime, as in lots of other Latin American countries is a highly media inflated problem, especially for foreigners. Brazil already has a lot of bad press with stuff that actually happens, adding to it with lies is pretty awful.

And lol at the guy saying that only Syria and Congo are worst places to host olympic games. I would normally take the comment as an hyperbolic joke, but it's guineapig we are talking about, so it's probably a serious post
Its hyperbole but I think it's fair to say that rio would not have been given the Olympics had the committee known about the problems the country would be facing right now but alas hindsight is 20/20
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »

Its hyperbole but I think it's fair to say that rio would not have been given the Olympics had the committee known about the problems the country would be facing right now but alas hindsight is 20/20

Edu, people like Pandaguineapig, Badger, and Lochte will never admit the Olympics in Brazil are a success.  Clearly all the gloom and doom reports prior to the Olympics were overblown.  Every Olympics has their problems.  Personally all the events I have watched have been perfect.  I didn't notice any problems.

The only narrative people like that are willing to accept about Brazil is about crime, corruption, disease, etc.  It's the reason we have the BLM movement here in America.  A black man gets shot by the cops and immediately you have a chorus of the usual suspects saying he definitely deserved it because... black guy.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »

I mean, what does the country having crime has to do with this people making a mess and making a completely false story?

Yeah wtf this thread has so much what-about-ism.

Edu, people like Pandaguineapig, Badger, and Lochte will never admit the Olympics in Brazil are a success.  Clearly all the gloom and doom reports prior to the Olympics were overblown.  Every Olympics has their problems.  Personally all the events I have watched have been perfect.  I didn't notice any problems.

Yeah other than the green pool the olympics don't seem to be all that bad.  The complaints from the village are nothing compared to Sochi and we certainly don't have swimmers doing the butterfly through a pool of trash and syringes like some hyperbolic news agencies were describing.

Yes, because abandoning our athletes in a foreign country over a fairly minor crime would go over just great with recruiting athletes for the next Olympics.

meh, nobody's abandoning anybody, detaining a foreigner suspected of committing a crime if legal under current visa laws from my understanding.

Are you intentionally trying to antagonize people? Because I don't see why you had to bring white privilege into this.

Agreed... it's Schadenfreude, of course there's going to be some anti-straight-white-male garbage thrown in.  He's always trying to antagonize people.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »

Agreed... it's Schadenfreude, of course there's going to be some anti-straight-white-male garbage thrown in.

Uhh... okay.  You obviously have some serious issues.

Do we know those guys are straight? Do you know Mr. Steve is straight? Does he know that?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 11:40:52 AM »

This was pretty stupid for them to do and probably will ruin their athletic careers, but let's not pretend that Rio isn't probably the worst place in the world the Olympics could be held at right now besides Syria or the Congo

Have you been there?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 12:10:37 PM »

Have you been there?

I've been. He isn't dead wrong, but he is exaggerating for sure.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »

meh, nobody's abandoning anybody, detaining a foreigner suspected of committing a crime if legal under current visa laws from my understanding.

"Leave them there" as posted by the second poster in this thread certainly suggests that they should get no help from the US. That's what I'm referring to. In reality, I'm sure their case will be closely watched by US diplomats. Lochte probably won't be extradited because US law doesn't allow extradition for misdemeanors.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »

Have you been there?

I've been. He isn't dead wrong, but he is exaggerating for sure.

He's dead wrong.  End of story.

There is nothing and no one in Brazil that forced these guys to get blind drunk, vandalize private property, urinate on it, and then lie and denigrate the Brazilian people.

Just because the United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world does not give a foreigner visiting our country the right to go on a alcohol fueled criminal bender and then start lying about our country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »

Must you people make this hilarious story serious? Sad
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »

If anybody is wondering what the global stereotype of young male Americans visiting other countries might be like... this is precisely it.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »

Must you people make this hilarious story serious? Sad

None of us is a citizen of Brazil nor do we own the NY Times.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/sports/olympics/police-say-ryan-lochte-lied-about-gunpoint-assault.html?_r=0

Here is the link to the addresses of the Brazilian consulates in the US where you can tell the Brazilian people this is hilarious and not at all serious.

http://washington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/brazilian_consulates_in_the_us.xml
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »

Agreed... it's Schadenfreude, of course there's going to be some anti-straight-white-male garbage thrown in.

Uhh... okay.  You obviously have some serious issues.

Do we know those guys are straight? Do you know Mr. Steve is straight? Does he know that?

Why are you asking me about people's sexual orientation?!  WTF does sexual orientation have to do with anyone of this?!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 01:57:58 PM »

Oh come on if you can laugh at Ryan 'swimming because racing' Lochte - a man who believes that the 'yeah' includes the letter 'J' despite his first language being English - then what the hell is the point of existence? You must be great fun at parties.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »

Oh come on if you can laugh at Ryan 'swimming because racing' Lochte - a man who believes that the 'yeah' includes the letter 'J' despite his first language being English - then what the hell is the point of existence? You must be great fun at parties.

Again none of us is Brazilian.  If you want to tell Brazil they are being ridiculous and to just laugh about it you know where their consulate is.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »

If anybody is wondering what the global stereotype of young male Americans visiting other countries might be like... this is precisely it.

Honestly preferable to the other stereotype of "selflessness" in the form of a vacation to an African village tbh. The lack of self-awareness could be worse.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies