Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:38:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil  (Read 2740 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 02:31:12 PM »

If anybody is wondering what the global stereotype of young male Americans visiting other countries might be like... this is precisely it.

Honestly preferable to the other stereotype of "selflessness" in the form of a vacation to an African village tbh. The lack of self-awareness could be worse.

Who do you personally know that is taking so many "vacations" to African villages that it's become a global stereotype that you lay awake at night worrying about?

I really need to get out more.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »

If anybody is wondering what the global stereotype of young male Americans visiting other countries might be like... this is precisely it.

Honestly preferable to the other stereotype of "selflessness" in the form of a vacation to an African village tbh. The lack of self-awareness could be worse.

Who do you personally know that is taking so many "vacations" to African villages that it's become a global stereotype that you lay awake at night worrying about?

Yes, either you do or I do. Obviously no one I'm close with, but you must know the stereotype of rich white people "building" houses. All over the Facebook.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »

I love how #FreeMelania is acting like Brazil isn't still a huge third world nation with a massive poor population and that Rio doesn't have huge shantytowns that the government really doesn't care about.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »

I love how #FreeMelania is acting like Brazil isn't still a huge third world nation with a massive poor population and that Rio doesn't have huge shantytowns that the government really doesn't care about.

Already been addressed...

Has the OP actually denied that Brazil has problems? because it seems to me that a lot of people on this thread are imagining it.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »

Yes, either you do or I do. Obviously no one I'm close with, but you must know the stereotype of rich white people "building" houses. All over the Facebook.

I'm not on facebook.  I like privacy too much.  I'm not the type of person that complains about the NSA one minute then puts my life up on the web the next

Are you referring to people going to Africa to do volunteer work?  How is that worse than vandalizing private property and figuratively and literally pissing on a country?!  What house builder has caused other world governments to issue security warnings and movement restrictions because of malicious lies?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/15/americas/rio-security-australian-athletes-ryan-lochte/
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 05:49:19 PM »

I'm quite serious about this proposal: leave them there. Let them get rammed by Brazil's system, corrupt or not. The Olympics are just a large, slick, glitzy handful of candy that the internationalists who worship the fading world order use as an example to demonize so called "isolationists" like me. I don't see how the Olympics warrant our tax dollars covering the costs of getting American athletes out of trouble, etc. The Olympic Opening Ceremony year after year becomes more of a propaganda show than the other. 

On another note, I do approve of the fact that Team USA is not covered by the taxpayers. I wasn't aware of that until tonight. Now is the time to tighten the purse string even more and send a message that it truly isn't a pressing concern.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »

I know a large ground of kids from my High School who go to Mexico every year with a local megachurch and all I see is selfies of them at the beach, pictures with poor children, and group photos in front of the single house that they didn't really build anyway.

This same group of friends (about eight of them, mostly athletes on the basketball, baseball, and girls volleyball team) actually resulted in my Senior classes end of the year trip options being limited to a few Christian "retreats" in Tennessee because of their often obnoxious behavior.

So yeah, these things are happening. I'll puke if I see another "I left my heart in Mexico" instagram post.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »

I'm quite serious about this proposal: leave them there. Let them get rammed by Brazil's system, corrupt or not. The Olympics are just a large, slick, glitzy handful of candy that the internationalists who worship the fading world order use as an example to demonize so called "isolationists" like me. I don't see how the Olympics warrant our tax dollars covering the costs of getting American athletes out of trouble, etc. The Olympic Opening Ceremony year after year becomes more of a propaganda show than the other. 

On another note, I do approve of the fact that Team USA is not covered by the taxpayers. I wasn't aware of that until tonight. Now is the time to tighten the purse string even more and send a message that it truly isn't a pressing concern.

Are you unaware of how consular protection works and that American citizens are entitled to it?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »

Are you unaware of how consular protection works and that American citizens are entitled to it?
I am plenty aware. I'd just like to see some bureaucratic entanglement and delay tactics used. You can make a point with a whisper rather than a scream. Which is exactly the same logic that the Syrian air force used today when their jets came very close to US special forces today.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »

Message to President Obama: plz drone atlas now, thx.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »

I am plenty aware. I'd just like to see some bureaucratic entanglement and delay tactics used. You can make a point with a whisper rather than a scream. Which is exactly the same logic that the Syrian air force used today when their jets came very close to US special forces today.

So State Department officials should deliberately not do their jobs  (or at the very least, not do them well) because "internationalists?" (((internationalists)))
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful way to decimate the 2018/2020 Olympic teams due to lack of trust in the US Gov.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:31 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful way to decimate the 2018/2020 Olympic teams due to lack of trust in the US Gov.
And I'm supposed to care about them? There are people down the street from me in Frenchtown going hungry tonight, the border is undefended, bridges are rotting, our nuclear weapons are still powered by 1960s era launching technology, but yes, we need to fund team USA so some silver haired overgrown frat boy can piss on a gas station.

So State Department officials should deliberately not do their jobs  (or at the very least, not do them well) because "internationalists?" (((internationalists)))
I resent the implication you are making there, but yes, instead of losing Hillary's emails, it'd be nice if the State Department could lose this guys replacement passport or something.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 08:23:08 PM »

So the Olympics have been going very well and the story was completely made up. And yet...
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »

Hopefully Ryan Lochte rots in a Brazilian jail cell for a while.  I saw him speak in an interview one time, not very bright to say the least, and yet so smug.  Sometimes people like that need to get knocked down a peg!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2016, 09:18:26 PM by Joe Republic »

Hopefully Ryan Lochte rots in a Brazilian jail cell for a while.  I saw him speak in an interview one time, not very bright to say the least, and yet so smug.  Sometimes people like that need to get knocked down a peg!

He's already back in the US.

But yes, his lack of intelligence is already well documented.  Just watch the interview where he spins this tall tale.  He clearly grew up watching too many bad action movies.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »

Hopefully Ryan Lochte rots in a Brazilian jail cell for a while.  I saw him speak in an interview one time, not very bright to say the least, and yet so smug.  Sometimes people like that need to get knocked down a peg!

What.  A little extraordinary rendition never hurt anybody.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 10:20:06 PM »

Given his inebriated state, general cluelessness, and what I can only imagine is not a firm grasp of Portuguese, is it possible he thought he was being robbed?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 10:27:36 PM »

What.  A little extraordinary rendition never hurt anybody.

You are a very sick individual.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 11:11:47 PM »

Given his inebriated state, general cluelessness, and what I can only imagine is not a firm grasp of Portuguese, is it possible he thought he was being robbed?

Apparently there was a translator.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/swimming/story/_/id/17349549/gas-station-translator-says-ryan-lochte-swimmers-gun-pointed-them

By the way, I'm perusing the hilariously terrible youtube and random news websites comments about this event. I suppose that some people are just trolling but it seems that there is quite an amount of people out there who think Brazil is some kind of very dangerous warzone, LOL.

I'm just glad I didn't really listen to the dipsh**ts that were baffled as to why I was going to spend 10 days in Mexico City. Murder, drugs and DECAPITATIONS was the common hypochondriacal warning. A lot of them even said: what are you going to do in Mexico City? there is nothing to do!

I came back last week and had a great time. Spent time with friends who live there, visited a great deal of the city (which has a great number of things to do, obviously) and I don't think there was even a moment where I felt the sh**t hit the fan.

I can understand why a lot of people would be mad at the media in general hyping up crime (it helps the ratings you see), and I also understand why someone would be even more pissed off by this fabrications.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 12:04:20 AM »

Has the OP actually denied that Brazil has problems? because it seems to me that a lot of people on this thread are imagining it.

I mean, what does the country having crime has to do with this people making a mess and making a completely false story? Of course, crime, as in lots of other Latin American countries is a highly media inflated problem, especially for foreigners. Brazil already has a lot of bad press with stuff that actually happens, adding to it with lies is pretty awful.

And lol at the guy saying that only Syria and Congo are worst places to host olympic games. I would normally take the comment as an hyperbolic joke, but it's guineapig we are talking about, so it's probably a serious post
Its hyperbole but I think it's fair to say that rio would not have been given the Olympics had the committee known about the problems the country would be facing right now but alas hindsight is 20/20

Edu, people like Pandaguineapig, Badger, and Lochte will never admit the Olympics in Brazil are a success.  Clearly all the gloom and doom reports prior to the Olympics were overblown.  Every Olympics has their problems.  Personally all the events I have watched have been perfect.  I didn't notice any problems.

The only narrative people like that are willing to accept about Brazil is about crime, corruption, disease, etc.  It's the reason we have the BLM movement here in America.  A black man gets shot by the cops and immediately you have a chorus of the usual suspects saying he definitely deserved it because... black guy.

Whoa. Whoa! WHOA! That's MORE than a little much of an extrapolation of what I said. Actually , I'd concur the Olympics were largely a success with a few nominal glitches (green pool, several athletes getting robbed in the week leading up to the games ). Just because I'm willing to acknowledge the reality of Brazil being a cesspool of corruption doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the games went off pretty well (and well above expectations ).

Regarding this whole brouhaha , I want to see if Lochte sticks to his story of lying after he returns to the US. If so, he's a dick, and I apologize to Brazil.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2016, 03:09:38 AM »

I mean, what does the country having crime has to do with this people making a mess and making a completely false story? Of course, crime, as in lots of other Latin American countries is a highly media inflated problem, especially for foreigners. Brazil already has a lot of bad press with stuff that actually happens, adding to it with lies is pretty awful.

And lol at the guy saying that only Syria and Congo are worst places to host olympic games. I would normally take the comment as an hyperbolic joke, but it's guineapig we are talking about, so it's probably a serious post
Its hyperbole but I think it's fair to say that rio would not have been given the Olympics had the committee known about the problems the country would be facing right now but alas hindsight is 20/20

Edu, people like Pandaguineapig, Badger, and Lochte will never admit the Olympics in Brazil are a success.  Clearly all the gloom and doom reports prior to the Olympics were overblown.  Every Olympics has their problems.  Personally all the events I have watched have been perfect.  I didn't notice any problems.

The only narrative people like that are willing to accept about Brazil is about crime, corruption, disease, etc.  It's the reason we have the BLM movement here in America.  A black man gets shot by the cops and immediately you have a chorus of the usual suspects saying he definitely deserved it because... black guy.
Actually , I'd concur the Olympics were largely a success with a few nominal glitches (green pool, several athletes getting robbed in the week leading up to the games ).

I suspect you didn't watch pole vault then. I'm pretty sure most high schools would have ran the competition better.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »

Whoa. Whoa! WHOA! That's MORE than a little much of an extrapolation of what I said.

Well seeing as how this is a poster who managed to extrapolate from a post I made pointing out how stupid it is to cite the Oklahoma City bombing as an example of Christian terrorism to accuse me of being a Holocaust denier that's not too surprising.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »

Actually these Olympics have had some extremely serious problems (and even as we all type angrily in this thread there's currently an undergoing - and utterly disgraceful - clusterfyck wrt the organisation of the Paralympic aspect) it's just that they've mostly not been that widely reported on, despite the fact that in one instance someone nearly died. But even a basically sucky Games is still excellent television.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »

Actually these Olympics have had some extremely serious problems (and even as we all type angrily in this thread there's currently an undergoing - and utterly disgraceful - clusterfyck wrt the organisation of the Paralympic aspect) it's just that they've mostly not been that widely reported on, despite the fact that in one instance someone nearly died. But even a basically sucky Games is still excellent television.
This times a thousand.  When many of the beaches in Rio are so full of germs and chemicals that they would be closed in the US, you have a problem. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies