Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:14:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Poster boys for white privilege lie and denigrate Brazil  (Read 2746 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »

Has the OP actually denied that Brazil has problems? because it seems to me that a lot of people on this thread are imagining it.

I mean, what does the country having crime has to do with this people making a mess and making a completely false story? Of course, crime, as in lots of other Latin American countries is a highly media inflated problem, especially for foreigners. Brazil already has a lot of bad press with stuff that actually happens, adding to it with lies is pretty awful.

And lol at the guy saying that only Syria and Congo are worst places to host olympic games. I would normally take the comment as an hyperbolic joke, but it's guineapig we are talking about, so it's probably a serious post
Its hyperbole but I think it's fair to say that rio would not have been given the Olympics had the committee known about the problems the country would be facing right now but alas hindsight is 20/20

Edu, people like Pandaguineapig, Badger, and Lochte will never admit the Olympics in Brazil are a success.  Clearly all the gloom and doom reports prior to the Olympics were overblown.  Every Olympics has their problems.  Personally all the events I have watched have been perfect.  I didn't notice any problems.

The only narrative people like that are willing to accept about Brazil is about crime, corruption, disease, etc.  It's the reason we have the BLM movement here in America.  A black man gets shot by the cops and immediately you have a chorus of the usual suspects saying he definitely deserved it because... black guy.
Actually , I'd concur the Olympics were largely a success with a few nominal glitches (green pool, several athletes getting robbed in the week leading up to the games ).

I suspect you didn't watch pole vault then. I'm pretty sure most high schools would have ran the competition better.

I'll admit i didn't watch a minute of it. just got the impression from random media reports things were going reasonably smoothly. guess not.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »

First of all Brazil is a plurality white country. It's actually whiter than Texas and California.

Second as much of idiots as these guys were, they were actually treated far MORE harshly because of their status than they would be otherwise. If they were just random idiot tourists they'd likely just get put on the first plane back to the US and not allowed to enter the country again. Or maybe not even that if they paid a relatively small fine.

Oh and Al's first post was the best response.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

This was pretty stupid for them to do and probably will ruin their athletic careers, but let's not pretend that Rio isn't probably the worst place in the world the Olympics could be held at right now besides Syria or the Congo

Have you been there?

I've been. He isn't dead wrong, but he is exaggerating for sure.

He's dead wrong.  End of story.

There is nothing and no one in Brazil that forced these guys to get blind drunk, vandalize private property, urinate on it, and then lie and denigrate the Brazilian people.

Just because the United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world does not give a foreigner visiting our country the right to go on a alcohol fueled criminal bender and then start lying about our country.

Did I say that them vandalizing was okay? Did I say that denigrate the Brazilian people was okay? No.
I said that Rio was a very poor choice for the Olympics this year.

Chill out, brother.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2016, 10:56:43 PM »

USA Today says there are doubts about the official version of events:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »

Well this is a fascinating turn. How did things fall this way within the American structure if large parts of their story is, in fact, true?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »

Here’s more:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/23/ryan-lochte-us-swimmers-rio-de-janeiro-gas-station-security-guards-incident/89228124/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »

I was wondering about that, and why it hadn't been discussed more.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies