How does Trump mount a comeback?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:03:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How does Trump mount a comeback?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How does Trump mount a comeback?  (Read 2055 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 10:05:01 PM »

Sparky, I'm serious as a stroke that I'll bet you $100 and give you 2-1 odds Trump loses PA.

Either take my bet, or shut up.

I think he will lose PA 51-48, but remaining hopeful for a tie Smiley

So you predict he will lose?

Probably will lose PA because of my home city of Philly & suburbia, should be extremely close though.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »

I think some major external event has to happen to put Trump over the top such as:

1. Major terrorist attack on U.S. soil
2. Wikileaks dropping an October surprise by leaking documents that are extremely detrimental to Hillary.
3. Hillary suffers major health issues while out campaigning.

Aside from that, Trump needs to exercise total self-control by relentlessly hammering Hillary's corruption and dishonesty and her liberal policies. He needs to talk about radical Islam and how Hillary wants open borders for third world people to essentially invade our country.  He needs to hammer the Obama record on the economy and the stagnant growth due to high taxes and burdensome regulations.  He needs to attack Obama-Hillary on their weak foreign policy that has resulted in chaos in the Middle East. 
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »

I'd say stay on message, only attack Hillary/Kaine (no diversionary quarrels with surrogates like the Khans), and prep like mad for the debates. Hillary has a clear lead right now, but a portion of her support is soft. Trump just needs to shave off several percent to either go to himself, vote third party, or stay home. Seems possible with her persistently high negatives and weirdly consistent high third party polling to date.

My more devious strategic side wonders if he should use backchannel support to somehow funnel disgruntled Hillary support to Johnson/Stein. But it would probably be too complicated and could backfire on everyone.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 10:47:20 PM »

Turns out that it was pretty easy, and that Hillary Clinton has the brains of a retarded monkey and does not get this Electoral College thing.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »

Well, let's be honest, evidence suggests he's down by a lot in Pennsylvania.

Evidence suggests that the polls are inflated and that will likely change soon. Everyone better get used to saying 'President Trump'

God, you're an awesome dude!  Downright psychic!

Here's a serious question:  Was Trump REALLY in the lead all the time?  Polling suggests not, on one level, but the consistent mood of the country during 2016 was such to where Trump was the kind of candidate far more suited to the overall public anti-establishment mood.  Was this an EPIC misread?  Did the meat-eating majority order the Carl's Jr. Burger after all, despite poll after poll saying they'd order the garden salad while expressing a preference for a greasy glob of red meat on a bun covered with who-knows-what?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »

Here's a serious question:  Was Trump REALLY in the lead all the time?

Here's the running average of national polls, divided up between live interview polls and internet/robo-polls:

So live interview polls absolutely nailed the final margin between the candidates at the national level, even while they missed the mark in individual states in the Rust Belt.  If Clinton really was up by as much as 5 points nationally in mid-October, I doubt the GOP trend in the Rust Belt would have been enough for him to win at that time.  It's possible he would have lost if the election had happened at any time up until late October.

OTOH, some of the tightening at the end may have been formerly 3rd party / undecided voters switching to him at the end, which is something that may have been inevitable no matter when the voting took place.  It's possible for polls to be accurate in the moment, even if they're not giving you a good picture of what would really happen "if the election really occurred today".
mencken
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »

Here's a serious question:  Was Trump REALLY in the lead all the time?

Here's the running average of national polls, divided up between live interview polls and internet/robo-polls:

So live interview polls absolutely nailed the final margin between the candidates at the national level, even while they missed the mark in individual states in the Rust Belt.  If Clinton really was up by as much as 5 points nationally in mid-October, I doubt the GOP trend in the Rust Belt would have been enough for him to win at that time.  It's possible he would have lost if the election had happened at any time up until late October.

OTOH, some of the tightening at the end may have been formerly 3rd party / undecided voters switching to him at the end, which is something that may have been inevitable no matter when the voting took place.  It's possible for polls to be accurate in the moment, even if they're not giving you a good picture of what would really happen "if the election really occurred today".

Love him or hate him, Nate Silver was the only forecaster to incorporate state, regional, and national trends into his projections. Here is where he had the race nationally and in key swing states on November 8 and October 15:
StateActual ResultNovember 8October 15
NationwideClinton +2.0Clinton +3.5Clinton +5.0
FloridaTrump +1.1Clinton +0.6Clinton +2.4
MichiganTrump +0.2Clinton +4.3Clinton +7.8
North CarolinaTrump +3.7Clinton +0.6Clinton +1.4
PennsylvaniaTrump +0.7Clinton +3.7Clinton +5.9
WisconsinTrump +0.8Clinton +5.3Clinton +6.6

So yes, at first glance it does seem an earlier election would have worked to Clinton's favor. On the second hand, I still think that a large portion of this shift came as a result of Johnson voters defecting to Trump, which almost certainly would have happened anyway regardless of when the election was. On the third hand, Trump won the key states by such a razor-thin margin that I am not sure that shift would have been sufficient. Florida and Wisconsin were closest to his grasp at that point (and also had the largest dips in Johnson support), and assuming that Johnson defectors is sufficient to flip these states, that puts him at a 270-268 win, leaving literally no room for error.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 01:46:18 PM »

Clinton was up big but couldn't close it and Comey cost her around 2 points.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 01:51:47 PM »

Simple, the Democrats stay as fractured as they are right now. Right now the Dems are split between the Obama-Clinton-Perez establishment and the Sanders-Warren-Ellison progressives. There's no telling who the Democrats will put up in 2020.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies