The era of 'The Bit*h' is coming
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:24:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The era of 'The Bit*h' is coming
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The era of 'The Bit*h' is coming  (Read 1693 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:06:38 AM »
« edited: August 19, 2016, 12:25:38 AM by Ogre Mage »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/08/the-era-of-the-bitch-is-coming/496154/

For lols, this is a link to discussion of the article on reddit.com/r/MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MGTOW/comments/4ycxl7/get_ready_for_the_era_of_the_bitch/

Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:12:56 AM »

As my West Virginian Democrat neighbor put it, for the last eight years, all he ever heard from all our idiot neighbors was "n****r this, and n****r that." For the next eight years they'll just switch to "b***h this, b****h that."
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:21:21 AM »

As my West Virginian Democrat neighbor put it, for the last eight years, all he ever heard from all our idiot neighbors was "n****r this, and n****r that." For the next eight years they'll just switch to "b***h this, b****h that."

I like Michelle Cottle's suggestion at the end of the article:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:16:48 AM »

I really hope that's not the case. Shameless misogyny isn't quite a core of Republican identity the way shameless racism is, but of course it's never too late to become.

I don't have an opinion on the matter (obviously I can't judge how a woman chooses to deal with sexism), but it's a bit weird to say you want to reclaim a word all the while censoring it. Tongue
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »

I really hope that's not the case. Shameless misogyny isn't quite a core of Republican identity the way shameless racism is, but of course it's never too late to become.

I don't have an opinion on the matter (obviously I can't judge how a woman chooses to deal with sexism), but it's a bit weird to say you want to reclaim a word all the while censoring it. Tongue

That was just me editing it for this forum.  Nothing is censored in Cottle's article at The Atlantic.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:39:09 AM »

I hate that word and as a female I would never be a part of any movement or organization that embraces it for any reason.

Very demeaning, IMO.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 08:11:57 AM »

I hate that word and as a female I would never be a part of any movement or organization that embraces it for any reason.

Very demeaning, IMO.

It's only demeaning because culture has made it so. If we reclaim it as our own, it can't be used over us. It's on par with not caring when the bully tries to make fun of you. "Ha ha, you're a neeeeerd." "Yeah, I am! So what?" Same thing, just a lot more cultural baggage.

I hate the word myself, but if Hillary does win, I agree that we will need to reclaim it to stop giving it power. There's nothing wrong with being female, and the proper name for a female of the Canis familiaris shouldn't be an insult just because it's the name for the female.

Back on topic: I agree with the author in that there will be a lot of people trying to blame everything on the fact that she's a woman. I hope we don't see it, but judging by what I've seen just during this campaign season, I'm pretty sure it's going to get a lot worse.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2016, 03:02:40 PM by hermit »

Very demeaning, IMO.

It's only demeaning because culture has made it so. If we reclaim it as our own, it can't be used over us. It's on par with not caring when the bully tries to make fun of you. "Ha ha, you're a neeeeerd." "Yeah, I am! So what?" Same thing, just a lot more cultural baggage.

I hate the word myself, but if Hillary does win, I agree that we will need to reclaim it to stop giving it power. There's nothing wrong with being female, and the proper name for a female of the Canis familiaris shouldn't be an insult just because it's the name for the female.

Back on topic: I agree with the author in that there will be a lot of people trying to blame everything on the fact that she's a woman. I hope we don't see it, but judging by what I've seen just during this campaign season, I'm pretty sure it's going to get a lot worse.

Sorry but I can't go there. To me it doesn't matter what people call Hillary under their breath, or in print or out loud. Doesn't make it so.

And I disagree that large numbers of people will blame things on the fact that Hillary is a female. What I believe is that when things start getting done in this country, people will change their opinion of having a female for a President.

Focusing on the positive is what works.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »

We've already had that in the primary. Remember when there were female Bernie supporters who proclaimed that any woman voting for Hillary was just voting with her vagina?
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »

At least it will be a new era of slurs with Hillary. What does the left do if Trump wins? Go back to Hitler? They kind of burned that out with W.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »

Yes sexism is out there, but to me it's an ignorant mindset, and the ones perpetuating that mindset aren't seeing clearly. The same goes for racism and homophobia and the like. People are ignorant and do and say ignorant things. But nobody has to follow anyone else down that path. We can all think for ourselves.

What is most important is to keep the focus on the positive thoughts, the positive mindset, the educated enlightened path. Over time, people's opinions change.

In Hillary's case, once people see how good a job she does, their opinions will evolve to match the reality they see. It's human nature.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »

We've already had that in the primary. Remember when there were female Bernie supporters who proclaimed that any woman voting for Hillary was just voting with her vagina?

Or when Gloria Friggin' Steinem proclaimed that young women supporting Bernie were only there for the boys?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »

Or when Gloria Friggin' Steinem proclaimed that young women supporting Bernie were only there for the boys?

Or when Madeleine Albright said that there's a special place in hell for women who don't support Clinton.

I didn't hear the first statement, but the last two I was appalled by when I heard them.

The first one isn't any better.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »

Or when Madeleine Albright said that there's a special place in hell for women who don't support Clinton.

What Albright actually said was "There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.”  This has been a saying of hers for 25+ years.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »

What Albright actually said was "There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.”  This has been a saying of hers for 25+ years.

You are right, that's what she said. Still, I don't like it. Much too negative and threatening sounding. There are much better ways to communicate a desire for people to vote for Hillary.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »

You are right, that's what she said. Still, I don't like it. Much too negative and threatening sounding. There are much better ways to communicate a desire for people to vote for Hillary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3728085/Susan-Sarandon-says-s-not-convinced-Hillary-Clinton-won-t-vote-vagina-Republican-Sarah-Michelle-Gellar-says-her.html
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:04 PM »

Hillary Clinton came of age around 1970, just as the women's movement was starting to take off.  Both Steinem and Albright came of age about a decade earlier.  It goes without saying the 1950s-60s were not a pleasant period for women:  banks could refuse to issue credit cards to women, you could be fired from your job for being pregnant (and of course you couldn't legally get an abortion either), women could not attend Ivy League Schools and the dream of a woman president must have seemed impossible.  Young women today mostly cannot relate to such antiquated feminism, but I get where their perspective comes from.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »

I didn't hear the first statement, but the last two I was appalled by when I heard them.

Hermit, you so prove we need many many more women on Atlas.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 11:07:50 PM »

Alrighty then. lol
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 12:07:20 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2016, 12:13:50 AM by hermit »

Hillary Clinton came of age around 1970, just as the women's movement was starting to take off.  Both Steinem and Albright came of age about a decade earlier.  It goes without saying the 1950s-60s were not a pleasant period for women:  banks could refuse to issue credit cards to women, you could be fired from your job for being pregnant (and of course you couldn't legally get an abortion either), women could not attend Ivy League Schools and the dream of a woman president must have seemed impossible.  Young women today mostly cannot relate to such antiquated feminism, but I get where their perspective comes from.

I can relate to Hillary's era since she's only 2-3 years older than me. I was a card-carrying, bra-burning feminist who made lives miserable with all my ranting and raving about the women's libber stuff. I do realize that the younger females of today can't relate to that (just like I can't relate to generations before my time), but if it wasn't for me and Hillary and all the other females who did all that fighting, the younger ones wouldn't be enjoying the fruits of our labor today.

That's probably the biggest reason why I support Hillary so much....I can relate to where she's coming from, not to mention that she happens to represent my ideals and goals and thinking to a large degree.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 12:11:35 AM »

Hermit, you so prove we need many many more women on Atlas.

Thank you for that. Smiley

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:30 AM »

But Atlas posters who live across the country or across the ocean and have never set foot in the state tell me I'm just a deranged hater and that West Virginia is an amazing wonderful utopia! And I only bash it because I secretly hate white working class people! Roll Eyes
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 01:37:37 AM »

Very demeaning, IMO.

Wow, three female posters in the same thread?! This must be some type of Atlas record, right?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 03:31:00 AM »

Insinuating that women who have political preferences different from yours because they want to have sex is not "antiquated feminism". It's not feminism at all. It comes from the same place as all the crass misogyny Steinem doubtless had to put up with in her youth, and thus she should be able to recognize it better than anyone. She has no excuse.

Albright's statement was wrong too, especially in context, but not quite as crass.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 05:09:32 AM »

Insinuating that women who have political preferences different from yours because they want to have sex is not "antiquated feminism". It's not feminism at all. It comes from the same place as all the crass misogyny Steinem doubtless had to put up with in her youth, and thus she should be able to recognize it better than anyone. She has no excuse.

Albright's statement was wrong too, especially in context, but not quite as crass.

I would tend to agree with you about Steinem's comments.  But Albright -- I really do get where she was coming from given the era she grew up in.  She talks about the incident here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/opinion/madeleine-albright-my-undiplomatic-moment.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies