The era of 'The Bit*h' is coming (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:20:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The era of 'The Bit*h' is coming (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The era of 'The Bit*h' is coming  (Read 1713 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: August 19, 2016, 02:16:48 AM »

I really hope that's not the case. Shameless misogyny isn't quite a core of Republican identity the way shameless racism is, but of course it's never too late to become.

As my West Virginian Democrat neighbor put it, for the last eight years, all he ever heard from all our idiot neighbors was "n****r this, and n****r that." For the next eight years they'll just switch to "b***h this, b****h that."

I like Michelle Cottle's suggestion at the end of the article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't have an opinion on the matter (obviously I can't judge how a woman chooses to deal with sexism), but it's a bit weird to say you want to reclaim a word all the while censoring it. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »

We've already had that in the primary. Remember when there were female Bernie supporters who proclaimed that any woman voting for Hillary was just voting with her vagina?

Or when Gloria Friggin' Steinem proclaimed that young women supporting Bernie were only there for the boys?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:31:00 AM »

We've already had that in the primary. Remember when there were female Bernie supporters who proclaimed that any woman voting for Hillary was just voting with her vagina?

Or when Gloria Friggin' Steinem proclaimed that young women supporting Bernie were only there for the boys?

Or when Madeleine Albright said that there's a special place in hell for women who don't support Clinton.

What Albright actually said was "There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.”  This has been a saying of hers for 25+ years.

You are right, that's what she said. Still, I don't like it. Much too negative and threatening sounding. There are much better ways to communicate a desire for people to vote for Hillary.

Hillary Clinton came of age around 1970, just as the women's movement was starting to take off.  Both Steinem and Albright came of age about a decade earlier.  It goes without saying the 1950s-60s were not a pleasant period for women:  banks could refuse to issue credit cards to women, you could be fired from your job for being pregnant (and of course you couldn't legally get an abortion either), women could not attend Ivy League Schools and the dream of a woman president must have seemed impossible.  Young women today mostly cannot relate to such antiquated feminism, but I get where their perspective comes from.

Insinuating that women who have political preferences different from yours because they want to have sex is not "antiquated feminism". It's not feminism at all. It comes from the same place as all the crass misogyny Steinem doubtless had to put up with in her youth, and thus she should be able to recognize it better than anyone. She has no excuse.

Albright's statement was wrong too, especially in context, but not quite as crass.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies