Aquariums
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:21:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Aquariums
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Aquariums  (Read 262 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »

Anyone here keep fish? I don't currently but have a 125 gallon empty tank and a 10 gallon empty tank in the basement. When I move out I plan to set them up and get a lot more. I'd like a few 300 gallon tanks.

If anyone does keep fish here post some pics of your tanks.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 07:31:59 AM »

I like the idea of a tank, but I'm lazy and cheap so not going to happen.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:34 PM »

I like the idea of a tank, but I'm lazy and cheap so not going to happen.

The cheap part isn't too much of a problem, you can set up a nice 20 gallon tank without too much expense for freshwater. Especially if you utilize Petsmarts dollar per gallon sale. The lazy part is where you'd get into trouble. With the weekly water changes and gravel vacuuming not done the nitrogen cycle in the tank would get thrown off and everything would likely die.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 07:21:03 PM »

Aye.  I've got a coworker that keeps a salt water aquarium running and is always bitching about how much time and money it takes and it makes me laugh (and everytime he's off a bit in one thing or another and all his fish die, that's not as funny).  He has good enough defenses, the challenge of it and of course the pretty fish (and his wife likes it).  Still too much work for too little reward for me.  I'm already maintaining and paying for two dogs, two cats and two kids (and a wife)(and a Miata), I'm pretty much tapped out.  That's a lot for a GenX burnout.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 07:47:01 PM »

Aye.  I've got a coworker that keeps a salt water aquarium running and is always bitching about how much time and money it takes and it makes me laugh (and everytime he's off a bit in one thing or another and all his fish die, that's not as funny).  He has good enough defenses, the challenge of it and of course the pretty fish (and his wife likes it).  Still too much work for too little reward for me.  I'm already maintaining and paying for two dogs, two cats and two kids (and a wife)(and a Miata), I'm pretty much tapped out.  That's a lot for a GenX burnout.

Saltwater is also a lot more expensive (and I do mean a lot more) and very sensitive compared to freshwater. The conditions and fish are both more sensitive and the fish are a lot more expensive and as of now only some can be bred in captivity. There are some fish too that are almost impossible to keep. It's why I'm going to steer clear of saltwater for a long time and probably forever.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:36:44 PM »

Yeah, that's what I gather.  His is a beautiful tank, with fish or without (I don't think everything in it is alive, but I know a lot of it is....it's apparently almost as hard to keep the plants alive as it is the fish) and I would totally have something like that.....if I had enough money to pay a professional to maintain it Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies