Trump: I will get 95% of the African-American vote in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:42:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: I will get 95% of the African-American vote in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Assuming he is elected, what % of the black vote will he get in 2020?
<95%

≥95%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Author Topic: Trump: I will get 95% of the African-American vote in 2020  (Read 2903 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »

If he somehow: gets elected this year, then in 4 years reforms police and ends the drug war completely and helps blacks have an equal education and footing even in blue states like Minnesota that have a huge problem with racial profiling and de facto segregation...then yes, he might get that much. 

But will all that happen?  Like a snowball's chance in hell.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »

I don't think insulting the lives that African Americans live is going to help him get get to 95%.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »

Trump has great minority support!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChatRevolve/status/766773734719954947
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »

I don't think insulting the lives that African Americans live is going to help him get get to 95%.
What exactly is the insult here? Smiley
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 07:40:14 PM »

What exactly is the insult here? Smiley

The entire second paragraph.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 07:41:21 PM »

If Trump wins, he'll be the only one on the ballot in 2020 and beyond, so he'll get 100% by default.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »

<95%.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 12:35:26 AM »

The poll is flawed because even if Trump were to get, say, 25% of the black vote in 2020 it would be a big deal.  Anything over 30% would be amazing.  Trump knows he'll never get 95%, but he'll negotiate to a much better percentage than the usual 2% the GOP gets.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »

>95% of African Americans will elect him to head Trump organization if the board holds an election in 2020.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2016, 12:57:18 AM »

The poll is flawed because even if Trump were to get, say, 25% of the black vote in 2020 it would be a big deal.  Anything over 30% would be amazing.  Trump knows he'll never get 95%, but he'll negotiate to a much better percentage than the usual 2% the GOP gets.

It is, actually, very easy. Just negotiate a very simple rule: you only get to vote if you vote for Trump.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2016, 01:50:46 AM »

ayy lmao
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2016, 03:19:28 AM »

Just in case he deports those 98% who will no vote for him in 2016 Evil

Red hacks: don't tell me, that you don't understand that he've been sarcastic here (like you didn't in "Obama is a founder of ISIS) :/
I wasn't aware that Trump was such a wisecracker.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 03:30:48 AM »

A Trump "senior advisor" also dropped a spectacularly awful quote in the aftermath of this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What is wrong with these people?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2016, 03:35:58 AM »

The only way in which he gets 95% of the black vote is if his Party is able to outlaw the Democratic Party and rig the elections as in a Commie state. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2016, 04:24:32 AM »

I think he means 0.95%. Yeah, that would be accurate, but he won't be the nominee in 2020.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »

A Trump "senior advisor" also dropped a spectacularly awful quote in the aftermath of this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What is wrong with these people?

Jesus
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 08:46:06 AM »

He won't, ever.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »

The fact that Trump did not make his address in Milwaukee is a bogus issue.  Many blacks and white liberals would then be criticizing Trump for "throwing gas on the fire" with his presence, and they would blame Trump for the behavior of the crowd.  (And I'm sure folks would deliberately attempt to incite all sorts of bad behavior by interrupting such an event at that time; civility would not be present, and that would likely not be Trump's fault, but he'd have been blamed, anyway.)

On the other hand, it is a legitimate criticism of Trump to point out that his comments reflected the belief that all blacks are living in urban poverty.  This is not the case; there is a black middle class, and there are rural blacks at different economic levels.  Trump was poorly advised on this, but he has opportunities to recover.

If I were Trump, I would emphasize several policy points:

1.  I would note the fact that African-Americans are more likely to own their own businesses than most groups.  I would recognize that entrepreneurial spirit and discuss, in policy terms, issues of helping community-owned businesses thrive in black communities, and especially those communities that are underserved by larger businesses.  I would ask black business owners to reconsider why they support Democrats, given the difference between the two parties on business and commerce issues.

2.  I would not the fact that African-American are more likely to be churchgoers than most groups.  African-American churches span a wide theological range, but many predominantly black denominations are, indeed, Fundamentalist and Pentecostal in doctrine, and many black Christians belong to conservative denominations and don't always attend predominantly black churches.  I would discuss issues of morality, and ask black folks to look at where they stand, individually, on a range of moral issues.  I would also be bold enough to point out that when the choice is between their political party and Biblical doctrine, many blacks have put their politics ahead of their theology, and ask them why this is so?  Invite them to vote their Faith.

3.  I would show empathy for victims of crime in black neighborhoods.  I would recognize that there have been issues of police maltreatment of black folks, and this is never acceptable.  I would also recognize the grievances of the people in places like Ferguson, MO, whose real grievances involve systems of fines and penalties for trivial infractions that are devastating on folks living paycheck to paycheck at best, and which have been designed to fill municipal coffers on the backs of the lower income citizens, and pledge to work to stop that.  But I would also emphasize that the real threat to the lives of blacks in America comes not from police, but from remorseless criminals living in their midst that have little or no regard for human life (often, including their own lives) and are armed to the teeth.  I would recognize the fear that ordinary blacks living in predominantly black neighborhoods on the lower end of the economic scale have of such folks, many of whom belong to highly organized criminal gangs, but I would also rhetorically ask the members of those communities to, at a minimum, be honest about the fact that these criminals are the folks they are most afraid of.  And I would point out the moral cowardice of many specific politicians from these areas who have been unwilling to do so, publically, and rhetorically ask why this is so.

4.  I would call for the GOP to end its efforts to impose voter ID laws.  I would call such measures an attempt to impose a poll tax, something that is unconstitutional, and acknowledge that many blacks are rightly offended in viewing these measures as being aimed at them.  I would go so far to say that the GOP is wrong on this issue, and it's creating the kind of misunderstanding amongst blacks that keeps many from even considering voting Republican when the GOP is more in line with their own world view.

5.  I would point out that African-Americans commit crimes, and commit violent crimes, at rates higher than their percentage of the population.  While acknowledging that there are factors that may artificially drive these stats up, I would point out that when all the other stuff is boiled over, the fact that blacks commit crimes at a significantly higher rate than other groups remains.  I would state that this is a problem that makes everyone uncomfortable, but it's time for an honest acknowledgement of this by all parties, because without that, an honest finding as to why this is so is unlikely.  But I would also acknowledge that over-criminalization of minor offenses is a real issue, and the permanency of a criminal record, especially a felony record, has become a bar to folks being able to fully participate in American economic life, even when the crime was committed at a young age, and was an isolated incident.  I would acknowledge that the over-stigmatization of criminal records is something that disproportionately impacts blacks, and that it is a real barrier to economic equality, and a barrier for which there are many reasons that are not defensible.  I would pledge to commit to develop policies that enable persons who have made mistakes to TRULY overcome the burden of a criminal record when they seek employment.  Indeed, I would mention that this is in line with the Christian principle of RESTORATION.

African-Americans are not likely to vote for Trump in significant numbers, but Trump COULD be a force in helping African-Americans to reconsider their interests versus group pressures (and there is REAL social pressure in much of the black community not to vote Republican) by appealing to blacks as Americans, but being consistent about it.  Trump's right about Hillary viewing blacks as nothing but a source of votes; his challenge is to offer something better.  If I were his adviser, this is what I'd advise him.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »

The fact that Trump did not make his address in Milwaukee is a bogus issue.  Many blacks and white liberals would then be criticizing Trump for "throwing gas on the fire" with his presence, and they would blame Trump for the behavior of the crowd.  (And I'm sure folks would deliberately attempt to incite all sorts of bad behavior by interrupting such an event at that time; civility would not be present, and that would likely not be Trump's fault, but he'd have been blamed, anyway.)

On the other hand, it is a legitimate criticism of Trump to point out that his comments reflected the belief that all blacks are living in urban poverty.  This is not the case; there is a black middle class, and there are rural blacks at different economic levels.  Trump was poorly advised on this, but he has opportunities to recover.

1.  I would note the fact that African-Americans are more likely to own their own businesses than most groups.  I would recognize that entrepreneurial spirit and discuss, in policy terms, issues of helping community-owned businesses thrive in black communities, and especially those communities that are underserved by larger businesses.  I would ask black business owners to reconsider why they support Democrats, given the difference between the two parties on business and commerce issues.

2.  I would not the fact that African-American are more likely to be churchgoers than most groups.  African-American churches span a wide theological range, but many predominantly black denominations are, indeed, Fundamentalist and Pentecostal in doctrine, and many black Christians belong to conservative denominations and don't always attend predominantly black churches.  I would discuss issues of morality, and ask black folks to look at where they stand, individually, on a range of moral issues.  I would also be bold enough to point out that when the choice is between their political party and Biblical doctrine, many blacks have put their politics ahead of their theology, and ask them why this is so?  Invite them to vote their Faith.

3.  I would show empathy for victims of crime in black neighborhoods.  I would recognize that there have been issues of police maltreatment of black folks, and this is never acceptable.  I would also recognize the grievances of the people in places like Ferguson, MO, whose real grievances involve systems of fines and penalties for trivial infractions that are devastating on folks living paycheck to paycheck at best, and which have been designed to fill municipal coffers on the backs of the lower income citizens, and pledge to work to stop that.  But I would also emphasize that the real threat to the lives of blacks in America comes not from police, but from remorseless criminals living in their midst that have little or no regard for human life (often, including their own lives) and are armed to the teeth.  I would recognize the fear that ordinary blacks living in predominantly black neighborhoods on the lower end of the economic scale have of such folks, many of whom belong to highly organized criminal gangs, but I would also rhetorically ask the members of those communities to, at a minimum, be honest about the fact that these criminals are the folks they are most afraid of.  And I would point out the moral cowardice of many specific politicians from these areas who have been unwilling to do so, publically, and rhetorically ask why this is so.

4.  I would call for the GOP to end its efforts to impose voter ID laws.  I would call such measures an attempt to impose a poll tax, something that is unconstitutional, and acknowledge that many blacks are rightly offended in viewing these measures as being aimed at them.  I would go so far to say that the GOP is wrong on this issue, and it's creating the kind of misunderstanding amongst blacks that keeps many from even considering voting Republican when the GOP is more in line with their own world view.

5.  I would point out that African-Americans commit crimes, and commit violent crimes, at rates higher than their percentage of the population.  While acknowledging that there are factors that may artificially drive these stats up, I would point out that when all the other stuff is boiled over, the fact that blacks commit crimes at a significantly higher rate than other groups remains.  I would state that this is a problem that makes everyone uncomfortable, but it's time for an honest acknowledgement of this by all parties, because without that, an honest finding as to why this is so is unlikely.  But I would also acknowledge that over-criminalization of minor offenses is a real issue, and the permanency of a criminal record, especially a felony record, has become a bar to folks being able to fully participate in American economic life, even when the crime was committed at a young age, and was an isolated incident.  I would acknowledge that the over-stigmatization of criminal records is something that disproportionately impacts blacks, and that it is a real barrier to economic equality, and a barrier for which there are many reasons that are not defensible.  I would pledge to commit to develop policies that enable persons who have made mistakes to TRULY overcome the burden of a criminal record when they seek employment.  Indeed, I would mention that this is in line with the Christian principle of RESTORATION.

African-Americans are not likely to vote for Trump in significant numbers, but Trump COULD be a force in helping African-Americans to reconsider their interests versus group pressures (and there is REAL social pressure in much of the black community not to vote Republican) by appealing to blacks as Americans, but being consistent about it.  Trump's right about Hillary viewing blacks as nothing but a source of votes; his challenge is to offer something better.  If I were his adviser, this is what I'd advise him.

Too long to bother reading. Could you summarise it, preferably, in 10 words or less?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 10:08:13 AM »

Too long to bother reading. Could you summarise it, preferably, in 10 words or less?

Blah blah blah...democratic plantation....blah blah...blacks are thugs who need our pity...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »

Trump Advisor Jack Kingston, said on CNN to Brianna Keller that in their internals Trump is polling higher than 2% and their is room to grow.

Kingston is a moron. He lost his last race in the primary despite having literally every advantage handed to him and every endorsement possible.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »

This man has no sense with speaking to ordinary people.
trump has grown-up with an entitlement-attitude his entire life ..... he doesn't get it and never will.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »

I am shocked at the amount of people voting equal or greater than 95 percent for Trump. ARE YOU SERIOUS!!?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2016, 12:52:16 PM »

And you gripe about Trump's supporters being poorly educated.  LMAO.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »

And you gripe about Trump's supporters being poorly educated.  LMAO.

Fuzzy, as you know, I'm a prolific effort-poster, but what you wrote is too dense in this context. Aside from the sheer size of your post, there are too many subtopics to respond to. Any meaningful discussion on what you posted would essentially come down to trading essays all day.

That being said, unless you simply wanted to post your thoughts and not actually engage in discussion on it, then it would be better to condense it down into a couple paragraphs or less. I'm not going to respond to the content for some of the reasons above, but also because I don't have the time or desire for that particular topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies