Sanders Returning to Campaign Trail for Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:10:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders Returning to Campaign Trail for Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sanders Returning to Campaign Trail for Clinton  (Read 1134 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/292086-sanders-looking-forward-to-campaigning-for-clinton-after
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 01:05:43 PM »

Perfect
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »

I am looking forward to the last two month blitz of Hillary, Bill, Obama, Michelle, Biden, Kaine, Sanders, Warren, etc plastering the country with events. There is no way that Trump can compete with that lineup.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:41:09 PM »

I know not everyone here is a huge fan of Bernie, but you have to admit, he's holding up his end of the bargain. I think he'd be a good surrogate in Iowa, as well.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:46:58 PM »

Clinton is getting only 40% of younger voters in polls. Getting to 60% would be quite helpful.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »

Pardon me, but this seems like a big waste of time. These are states that are already locked down... Send him to Missouri and Indiana.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »

Pardon me, but this seems like a big waste of time. These are states that are already locked down... Send him to Missouri and Indiana.

Maine is kind of funny - Is he trying to help unseat Poliquin or something? Michigan as well. If he thinks he can help flip a number of State House / US House seats for Democrats, I suppose it would be nice, but it should get low priority vs states with remotely competitive US Senate races.

All the other states would be good to have him in for downballot assistance. Maybe Bernie could help drum up support/enthusiasm for Feingold in competitive Senate districts, so as to help flip the State Senate and bring Russ back to Congress.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »

Maine is kind of funny - Is he trying to help unseat Poliquin or something? Michigan as well. If he thinks he can help flip a number of State House / US House seats for Democrats, I suppose it would be nice, but it should get low priority vs states with remotely competitive US Senate races.

All the other states would be good to have him in for downballot assistance. Maybe Bernie could help drum up support/enthusiasm for Feingold in competitive Senate districts, so as to help flip the State Senate and bring Russ back to Congress.

Wisconsin's most competitive state senate districts are always up for election in the midterm years. It's really unfortunate.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 02:42:11 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2016, 04:21:04 PM by Speed of Sound »

I sure don't love him stooping to the level of campaigning for Hillary Clinton, but I sure like it more than a Trump presidency. Go plead your case, Bernie.
cMac36
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »

I sure don't love him stooping to the level of campaigning of Hillary Clinton, but I sure like it more than a Trump presidency. Go plead your case, Bernie.

When asked in March if he would campaign for Clinton and the Dems were he to lose the nomination, his response was, "Well, what are they going to do for us?"

Sanders no doubt had to be coaxed into this, and he will not disappear after Nov 8.  Far from it.  He will be regarded as the 'shadow Majority Leader', the standard-bearer for the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, and will remain vocal and visible through the Clinton presidency.

He has also, probably, secured assurances that the DNC will invest in organizing at all levels throughout the country.  What those assurances are worth, we will see.  As he well knows, he is dealing with professional liars.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 03:59:31 PM »

Traitor to his own movement, at least Ron Paul had the decency to tell people to vote their conscious.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »

Traitor to his own movement, at least Ron Paul had the decency to tell people to vote their conscious.

Did you support Sanders in the primaries, otherwise not understanding how you could call him a traitor to the movement?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »

yeah, he should support an orange billionaire who espouses everything he despises about the current system because CONSCIENCE. smart
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »

Clinton is getting only 40% of younger voters in polls. Getting to 60% would be quite helpful.

I mean she is keeping up Obama 2012 margins with under 30's, it's just young voters are moving heavily towards third parties, and I'm not sure if that'll continue through 2018/2020 and beyond but this year it's a huge factor on why Johnson/Stein are getting so much support.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »

My thought is that Sanders should maybe focus on hitting states where there are toss-up Senate races....

His impact will probably be felt more in terms of increased voter participation from his younger supporters, than fundamentally impacting the GE numbers in swing states at this point in the race with a significant Clinton Ntl and swing-state polling lead.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »

Clinton needs help with the youngs...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-and-trump-are-losing-a-lot-of-young-voters/
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »

Granted, and I believe I posted a similar article from Politico within the past week and created a thread to discuss.

The key question is Bernie's effort best spent on trying to hit states relatively close in the Presidential polls (IA, OH, NV) or trying to solidify Clinton support in places he got destroyed in the primaries that are Lean Clinton (FL and NC), or hitting places where there are close Senate, Rep and Gubernatorial elections, as well as state House/Senate races in an attempt to drive up turnout so that the Democratic Party can try to move forward with a progressive agenda both in the states and nationally.

Edit: Are there any potential flips in the US House in CDs where Bernie performed extremely well in the primaries?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 05:15:55 PM »

Did you support Sanders in the primaries, otherwise not understanding how you could call him a traitor to the movement?

I did not, but I can see when Robb Stark was betrayed at the red wedding, and not been betrayed myself.

yeah, he should support an orange billionaire who espouses everything he despises about the current system because CONSCIENCE. smart

No, I'm saying he should've told people to vote for the person they thought best represented their beliefs. Also, you forget that there are more than a hundred presidential candidates, not just two.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 05:33:29 PM »

I did not, but I can see when Robb Stark was betrayed at the red wedding, and not been betrayed myself.

No, I'm saying he should've told people to vote for the person they thought best represented their beliefs. Also, you forget that there are more than a hundred presidential candidates, not just two.

There are only two with even a remote chance of winning.  When Johnson, Stein, or anybody else start polling in the 30s% or so, we can talk.  Until then this is literally only a Clinton or Trump choice.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 05:49:40 PM »

There are only two with even a remote chance of winning.  When Johnson, Stein, or anybody else start polling in the 30s% or so, we can talk.  Until then this is literally only a Clinton or Trump choice.

remote /=/ realistic. Defintion of remote: " of a chance or possibility) unlikely to occur."

Yeah, it's not at all likely that Johnson or Stein would win the election. But both will be on state ballots totaling more than 400 EVs, and Johnson should be on every state's ballot. Both candidates have actual electors that would be appointed to vote for those candidates if they were to win states or ME/NE CDs. Johnson doesn't even have to reach 270 EVs, as the house might select him as a "compromise choice" if there is no electoral majority. All you need to do to have a "possibility" of winning the election is to be on enough ballots, and Johnson and Stein are. That it's incredibly unlikely doesn't matter because remote means unlikely. Remote does not mean realistic or logical. It just means possible. 

This is not "literally only" a Clinton or Trump choice.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »

Bernie Sanders is proving to be a great FF.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 06:19:01 PM »

I am pumped at the idea of Clinton as President with Sanders chairing the Budget Committee and Sherrod Brown chairing the Banking Committee.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 06:19:51 PM »

I am pumped at the idea of Clinton as President with Sanders chairing the Budget Committee and Sherrod Brown chairing the Banking Committee.
Wake up
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 06:21:11 PM »

Wake up

What makes you think that won't happen?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »

Wake up

What makes you think that won't happen?

Well for one thing, it's a fairly close election. I'd love to see it happen, too.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies