Trump's Immigration Speech Tonight Postponed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:06:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump's Immigration Speech Tonight Postponed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump's Immigration Speech Tonight Postponed  (Read 2760 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »

This is how you win, folks. Trump is pulling out all the stops. It just may work, who knows? Remember to never overestimate the voting public.

No, it's not how you win. It's how you try to give yourself a chance.

He could have given himself a much better chance if he had started his campaign that way. At this late date he's just gasping his last breaths, flailing around, trying anything he can think of to stay afloat.

In the past, he "won" because he plays dirty and cheats. If that works during this Presidential election then it'll be a very sad day in this country.

Cheats?  Donald Trump won free and fair primary elections; that's how he got nominated.  The e-mails tell a story of how the DNC hosed Bernie Sanders; is that considered "cheating" as well?

I was talking about how he has conducted himself in his life through the years. Look it up.

As opposed to Hillary's conduct at the State Department?
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

This is why when some fellow conservatives who argue Trump should be elected for a conservative supreme court, I just don't buy the argument because you just can't trust him at all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 02:43:22 PM »

This is how you win, folks. Trump is pulling out all the stops. It just may work, who knows? Remember to never overestimate the voting public.

No, it's not how you win. It's how you try to give yourself a chance.

He could have given himself a much better chance if he had started his campaign that way. At this late date he's just gasping his last breaths, flailing around, trying anything he can think of to stay afloat.

In the past, he "won" because he plays dirty and cheats. If that works during this Presidential election then it'll be a very sad day in this country.

Cheats?  Donald Trump won free and fair primary elections; that's how he got nominated.  The e-mails tell a story of how the DNC hosed Bernie Sanders; is that considered "cheating" as well?

Oh please? FB. The DNC had minimal practical impact on the primary results. Roll Eyes
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure this this has nothing to do with the conflicting reports on where he actually stands on the issue...
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »

He's going to do something stupid after this speech.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »

Oh boy, here comes the next self-made trouble for Trump's campaign. Negotiation on the issue of immigration can't be an option, can it? His base will never accept that, and few moderates will be convinced or bought over by this issue; for moderates, it doesn't seem to be a hot button issue.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »

Oh boy, here comes the next self-made trouble for Trump's campaign. Negotiation on the issue of immigration can't be an option, can it? His base will never accept that, and few moderates will be convinced or bought over by this issue; for moderates, it doesn't seem to be a hot button issue.
Says who? Smiley

I really love directions of Trump's positions on issues, but I often finds them too extreme/unrealistic. No one really thinks that Trump will manage to literally get rid of 12 mln illegals, does one? It is impossible AND, what is much more important, unnecessary. Even though each country has to control its border – as simple as that.

Etc, etc...

But, of course, he'll better not swing too much Cheesy
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »

The issue of what to do with the 11 million undocumented was the ultimate question for the GOP in not just this primary but the last 3. And it is the ultimate no-win scenario. The GOP primary voters awarded Romney for 'self-deportation' and he lost the general. After waffling a bit during his early days, Trump realized if he went all the way to full deportation he can paint everyone else as 'weak on immigration'. Anyone who was for anything less than deportations was 'pro-Amnesty'   It seems impossible for him to now back off of what is probably his signature issue. It would be like Bernie embracing Super PACs or Gore embracing Coal.  

...but apparently they are going to try to find a way. It will be interesting to see what they come up with and if anyone will actually believe it.
In primary — yes. Now it's enough that he is "much more" "tough" than Hillary. I.e. reasonably tough [it was missing], but not more than that Cheesy

From May
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »

Ted Cruz will get to say "I told you so" again.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 04:08:38 PM »

I have never seen such unbounded cynicism from a human being (if you can call him that) in my life.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »

Ralley in Vegas scheduled for Friday also postponed/canceled.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »

Ralley in Vegas scheduled for Friday also postponed/canceled.
The GOP has discovered how to win this fall. Keep Trump locked in a barrel for the next 3 months.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 12:16:29 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2016, 12:25:02 AM by Interlocutor »

Stage 2 of the immigration pivot: Double-down and promise to carry on Bush/Obama policy

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-doubles-down-on-deportations-denies-backtracking-227293
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 12:17:57 AM »

"I'm gonna do what Obama did" is his new strategy? That seems.....interesting.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 01:52:16 AM »

LOL.
This clown is so confused, he doesn't know up from down.
Cant wait to hear a serious response from him on the issue ..... I think either way, he loses the argument (and voters).
rob in cal
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »

A lot of this discussion is just focused on the illegal residents issue, but the bigger picture IMHO for a longer term perspective is the issue of legal immigration.  Would Trump pivot toward the Bush/Clinton/Obama/Mccain vision of expanding legal immigration, as most immigration reform plans have called for?  That would be a massive pivot, far more than some nuanced moves about border enforcement.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »

Now, some people are saying, very smart people and well respected, that Trump is postponing and delaying all these events because he's attending a NAMBLA convention. Now I wouldn't say something like that, but we might have to look into this to figure out what's going on.
rob in cal
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »

Oh yes, someone posted that Trump is trying to be Ike 2.0 by his recent immigration pivoting.  I would argue that Ike presided over an extremely Euro-centric, low legal immigration decade.  By today's standard the immigration policies Ike presided over (with no protest from him AFAIK) would put him in the far right wing corner.  Of course there is that whole Overton window thing that muddles this type of analysis.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »

Playing both sides of the street is a brilliant way to get hit by traffic going both ways.

That's really not a joke either. Everything I've heard about the people at Trump rallies has been that immigration is their biggest motivation. The most virulent hardline anti-immigration are of course from the border states of Iowa (such as Steve King) and Wisconsin (if you can remember former Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner). [/s]

Trump needs to win white people who voted Obama and are disgusted with our current immigration and terrorism "problems," while appealing to a broader audience of independents.  This is not possible, and is why he will lose.

Meanwhile, I hope you don't mean the the general populations of WI and IA are anti-immigration.  I'm from WI and this has not been my experience at all.  Green Bay for instance has been excellent in welcoming Hmong families, and Mexican immigrants are able to integrate with minimal drama.  Conservative Catholics make up a large portion of the Republican base, and they are good about welcoming immigrants into their parishes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies