Should Clinton apologize for her e-mails?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:09:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should Clinton apologize for her e-mails?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should Clinton apologize for her e-mails?  (Read 514 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »

I was looking at the polls in 2015, and she got a noticeable bump when she apologized, at that time. She should apologize again, and say that she understands that people want a candidate who has their trust, and she hasn't done that enough, and vow to do a better job. In a way it would be better for her to be down in the polls because it'd prod her to take these steps.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 06:56:44 PM »

If she has already apologized, what more can she do?  She's already said many times that it was a mistake that she regrets.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »

I was looking at the polls in 2015, and she got a noticeable bump when she apologized, at that time. She should apologize again, and say that she understands that people want a candidate who has their trust, and she hasn't done that enough, and vow to do a better job. In a way it would be better for her to be down in the polls because it'd prod her to take these steps.

Are you a secret Trump supporter? If she did this she'd just keep the issue going and be admitting there was wrongdoing where there wasn't.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »

Man, enough with the damn emails already!!!

So done with that B.S.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:33:19 PM »

She should apologize and admit she is a crook.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »

Man she's already apologized a thousand times, leave it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 10:53:48 PM »

She already did, and if she did again, those who dislike her still wouldn't care.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »

Considering the fact that she was found to have lied about the emails and what kind of information was transmitted to her voters, she should at least apologize for lying to the American people.

Not that it would personally get me to support her, but it's one of many legitimate reasons people have for not supporting her.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 11:53:48 PM »

Considering the fact that she was found to have lied about the emails and what kind of information was transmitted to her voters, she should at least apologize for lying to the American people.

Not that it would personally get me to support her, but it's one of many legitimate reasons people have for not supporting her.

Well, her argument was that she was using a shorthand that accurately described about 29,997 of the 30,000 e-mails. She should have said, "To the best of my ability, no classified e-mails were sent or received, but of course, with thirty thousand pieces of correspondence, many of which were not sent by me, I can't guarantee it's a hundred percent. But applies to every effort by every official to keep classified information secure. No one is perfect, whether online or offline."

That would have been accurate. It would have also made for a wonderful headline attacking Clinton. At the end of the day, her real mistake was having a private e-mail system in the first place. Once that decision was made, everything else that has come out since them was basically fait accompli.

But I don't think it's absurd to take into account the fact that, at the time, Clinton wasn't he only one who had no problem with a private e-mail system. Powell has admitted advising her to do it, and he even bragged about using webmail in his book, which came out in 2012. And hundreds of senior government officials e-mailed with Clinton on her personal domain, and none of them raised any flags. They all thought it was okay, basically. Which doesn't make it okay, but it was a collective failure among senior officials, not some uniquely different way of thinking that Clinton had, that was special to her.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 05:21:02 AM »

Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 07:21:06 AM »

She already did, and if she did again, those who dislike her still wouldn't care.

The same goes for Donald Trump.

Hillary doesn't need to say she's sorry.  She's sorry, all right, but not repentant.  She's the sorriest Democratic nominee in my lifetime.

What she needs to do is to start being truthful, religiously.  Either that, or state that the public record is what it is, and folks can decide from it whether or not they want to vote for her.  Her apologies mean nothing to anyone because she lacks the basic integrity and sincerity that most human beings are endowed with.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »

The same goes for Donald Trump.

Hillary doesn't need to say she's sorry.  She's sorry, all right, but not repentant.  She's the sorriest Democratic nominee in my lifetime.

What she needs to do is to start being truthful, religiously.  Either that, or state that the public record is what it is, and folks can decide from it whether or not they want to vote for her.  Her apologies mean nothing to anyone because she lacks the basic integrity and sincerity that most human beings are endowed with.

Sloppiness is not the same as lacking integrity and sincerity. I'll admit that she was sloppy in having the e-mail system she shouldn't have, and sloppy in making statements about her system after the fact, which led to false statements, and she deserves to be pilloried for this. But no where was there any evidence of any conspiracy to conceal anything from public scrutiny; hide the existence of her e-mail system; or hide any particular e-mail(s); let alone on any substantive matters. Now that over 30,000 have been released to the public, there are no bombshells in them. And the result has been that Hillary's record is now more transparent than most public figures ever to run for office, including Obama. If over 30,000 of Donald Trump's e-mails were released, I have little doubt that they would be far more embarrassing and damaging to him.

As for her sincerity? Look at her substantive actions, not her words. Look at how those actions line up across 10, 20, 30 and 40 years. Look at her record. In other words, look at things that can't be conjured up with a stage-managed, well-delivered speech, which affect people's lives. Look at the things that can't be faked. The record shows she's been a fighter for many of the same causes her whole life- health care access, children's rights, legal aid to the poor, and a plethora of other populist causes. She's been consistent on this substantive issues her whole life, and taken actions to advance these causes. As she is today. Those should be the big issues she's judged on, as those would be the big issues affecting how she leads this country in a manner that affects people.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies